COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Welcome back Peterma!

I must say you have been rather quick to snap that photo of me there. And I didn’t intend to hide the fact that I too was on a vacation taking a cruise. Just didn’t want to make everyone feel bad here while they’re working hard.

FE… like I’ve been saying countless times you’ve always got the right questions to ask and I saw it again in your reply back to Philip’s posts on entry & exit rules.

I’m back down with EURUSD and NZDUSD and I intend to keep this going through the weekend. If anyone was with GBPJPY up well done! But I would much rather stay on the sidelines on this one. As for USDJPY up ride… I regret getting out on this one and I just can’t seem to find an opportunity to get back on with the bulls they just keep going up and up without much correction happening. And this implies to what FE has said on letting your winners run through retracements - holding trades longer.

See you guys around!
Happy weekends!

Will be back soon with my reports!

[B]Mike[/B] I like your stat for today mainly because they show we were able to see that GBP rally ahead of most people. It is the second or third day that GBP was top.
As for CHF, the increase was mainly due to the SNB (Switzerland’s Central Bank) press conference that was held today. Traders are looking for SNB to take steps to show that it is serious about keeping the CHF peg with EUR. While the SNB said it would keep the peg, it didn’t take any measures to do so, and so the price went up. Its a good opportunity to sell the CHF imo.

I was to early in trying to call the bottom on CHF it appears, unless the SNB decides next month it will end the peg then we’ll all be millionaires

Welcome back [B]Peterma[/B] I like your call on a long GBPUSD. It could even go on as a swing trade in my opinion.

Hi guys,

Peter, great pictures. I have not been there yet. I am scared to enter that street, I do not want to end up with you guys like the Wolf of Wall Street guys. I do not want to be that greedy. So better stay on the thread and keep it calm :slight_smile:

I agree with Philip, your call was great on GBP, for me the most amusing was your GBP/JPY setup which turned out the best I think. Unfortunately I was really exhausted yesterday, wanted to wake up but just couldn’t. So I try to figure out what this means on the long-term, the pairs are already retraceing. Maybe the scenario is the following: “No” has won which made a temporary high shot for GBP but it will be mostly faded as the win was not so confident and this rises the question if the Scots try in a later point to get independent again.

Rookie, your first sentences. They made me awake. I like to read some good sentences in the hard work. Once you could invite us to your cruise.

Mike, actually Philip summarized good the situation on CHF. The last sentence I did not understand clearly though. IMO it is very dangerous to go long with CHF. The SNB said they are not scared at all to defend the 1.20 peg. So this means CHF can actually only weaken. Now in forex it is not good to say something “it can only”, so I would rather say the possibility/edge is quite good that CHF weakens.

Also important to mention that I try to make my analysis already tonight. I will be very limited at my computer until Monday night (maximum altogether 10-20 minutes in 3 days). So I have to catch up later and I apologize for not taking part in the great weekend discussion. In the beginning of the week I try to get fit with the thread again.

Hi guys,

there is not much action in the thread. I wanted to say that I am riding the GBP/USD short. I did not jump in at the top but later on I joined the party. After all GBP gained huge the last time and also on the news. Peter is the GBP expert so it would be good to see what he has to say about it.

I entered the market on the thought that after many hundreds of pips gained it is time to give back something for the strongest currency. Until this point the strategy works.

FE

Hey FE.

Well, I’m playing on my “demo”. Just seen the CAD news. Pretty good for them. So, I’m in on them with the AUD. Going down. Strong against weak. CAD has just been tearing it up this week. And I think the CAD correlation to USD will help it go down against the AUD.

I’m trying to beef up this play account.

Mike

FE, I scalped it back down, but only for 10 pips. Remember that old thing I mentioned some time ago about never buying cable on Fridays - I’ll bet a few were buying today.

My long last night was ok since I had figured the Scottish vote but this cross doesn’t feel right for a swing simply because of the noises coming from the Fed. I do not want to be short USD for any length of time, nor do I want to be short GBP - for me the answer has to lie elsewhere, maybe with GBP/JPY.

The chase scenario there looks better now so I’ll have a hard look on Monday, maybe 177.00, I’ll see where it opens and behaviour during Asian.

Also USD/JPY with a view of 110.00

Basically I’m looking to buy USD, GBP and sell Yen.

BTW, aside from checking the last poll on an Irish site (no reporting restrictions as in UK) I based my analysis on the Scottish vote on simple human behaviour.

Some years ago I was on a committee, we met weekly, we could sit anywhere in the meeting room yet each week each committee member sat in the same seat as he had done the previous week. It seems that we all have a tendency to follow the status quo :slight_smile:

I have just started my weekly analysis - the first thing that strikes me is the USDX - the weekly chart says that the USD sold off here last time - so that’ll cause me some caution in buying USD

When I zoom down to 1hr I see that USDX went back up to 84.70 on Friday, just when it seemed that it had already reacted to 84.70 Thursday - again makes me more careful - why did it reach back up?, what news? - none.

My first instinct is to sit Monday out (again!)

Hi Peter,

yesterday I wished that your holiday should be over and it seems like it is over! I hope all my wishes come true this fast!

It is great you having back there and already giving us some nice information.

If someone told me a couple of months ago that you jump into “crazy setups” like GBP/JPY I thought the person is drunk. But it does seem like you catch up with our speed :cool: I only hope that you will of course win.

At least if in two months you show us great opportunities trading ZAR/JPY then I will not be that surprised anymore.

So we are waiting for your setups and you can post some other great pictures too, if you had.

FE

Hi FE,

I was so sure that you had fixed that sign on Wall Street, met a couple of guys there who were adamant that it appeared overnight, they figured it was someone with a real positive attitude - just like your good self. :slight_smile:

Anyways, just to prove that I am of a certain age, I took this little pic.

Now, there are only two age groups that will recognize this particular doorman - I’m going to guess that nobody can tell me who he is …

Edit: I left a clue

Hi Peter,

you are usually right. I really have no idea about the picture. I pass on to my 4 other colleges. Our US department does definitely have a better chance in this issue than myself.

I make soon (and hopefully fast) the COT analysis as I am not there for 3 days.

See you guys soon

So, let’s see what the COT Report tells us this week. Very important that the percentile factors and net positions will always show the non-commercial speculators vs. data from the previous week:

[B]AUD[/B]: 62.43% current vs. 69.55% previous. Net position: 22 140 current vs. 41 229 previous.

[B]CAD[/B]: 55.61% vs. 60.54%. Net position: 7 544 vs. 11 630. Rookie pointed out more often how bad it is for CAD that oil prices go down. On the other side the US economy rise is for sure good for Canada too. We have to discuss the issue. I find CAD long a good option at the moment vs. weak currencies to diversify my USD long trades. CAD also has a little, but positive carry trade.

[B]CHF[/B]: 34.67% vs. 29.38%. Net position: - 11 396 vs. -13 825. Probably it is the currency that divide us the most. I have seen from you guys many post with long ideas. It does make sense on some technical basis but keeping mind the SNB in the background for me it looks suicide to go long on the border of the 1.20 EUR peg.

[B]GBP[/B]: 47.20% vs. 59.43%. Net position: -6 584 vs. 26 727. Open interest: 134 560 vs. 256 591. Now, does it make fun to understand from the numbers the whole story? As we work together longer it makes a lot more fun to analyze these reports and see how the fundamentals are confirmed in the COT. I have never seen something like these numbers. GBP lost almost half of its open interest in one week! Now we all know this has to do with the risk of the Scotland vote and investors took their capital out from the UK. The currency became also very bearish compared to earlier readings.

[B]NZD[/B]: 53.02% vs. 74.77%. Net position: 1 120 vs. 9 522. Now here is an alert guys! Looking at the last 4 years data we are heading with fast speed to a COT absolute extreme. Speculators are net short very rarely. We are barely in positive now so better watch out.

[B]EUR[/B]: 26.85% vs. 21.49%. Net position: -137 149 vs. -157 505. Open interest: 397 652 vs. 484 306. Here we can also see a huge difference in open interest. I do not know if it has to do something with GBP or there is another explanation for it.

[B]JPY[/B]: 23.74% vs. 12.77%. Net position: -83 182 vs. -100 673. Now as we see there is a divergence. The speculators got more bullish but this was not confirmed by price action as we have seen more bearish movement. We are away from being at an extreme level.

[B]USD[/B]: as Peter already said, we are at very high levels, should maybe watch a bit out with those long positions.

The [I]USD/RUB[/I] has arrived to historical highs and on my short period of COT analysis it is at the most bearish reading with -6 701 net positions. Look at the fundamentals, this can easily not be and extreme for the Russian currency. There is also something interesting here to mention for COT fanatics like we are. There were only 21 traders for the Ruble. Keep it in mind, if the number goes under 20, then CFTC does not report the results anymore until the number reaches 20 again. In the current economic situation the interest for the currency got a lot less as before.

[I]Trade setups for the week[/I]: I am still bullish with the USD and see some good CAD long setups and short CHF.

Hey Peter.
I’m really [I]curious[/I] about this myself.

By [I]George[/I] I think I got it. :35:

I give up Peter,

Can I take a quick peek at the answers by any chance ? I said I give up so that shouldn’t considered cheating or is it :54:

Hey FE good report. I know you wont be here probably but didn’t the GBP also diverge? Speculators got bearish but price moved up?
I’m intrigued about what you found in New Zealand as the system we are testing also turned bullish at an extreme last month.

Hi Philip,

I am leaving now, thought I check quick the thread. You have written in the best moment.

And you see it right, there is divergence with GBP. Please discuss it with Peter what that could be! Rookie also writes a long report, maybe he can try to figure it out. Good that you have recognized it.

Yeah, the NZD you will see it yourself. There is still a little to go for NZD but not that much. Maybe the big rallies vs. NZD will not come that often anymore.

I try to read the analysis what you guys make. I wish you good work and I am waiting for the setups too

Here’s a recap on how the trades based on our crosses system worked out last week.
[B]GBPCHF[/B] up 162 pips.
[B]GBPJPY[/B] up 345 pips.
[B]GBPNZD[/B] up 64.9 pips.
[B]GBPUSD[/B] up 14.5 pips.
[B]NZDUSD[/B] down 24.5 pips.
[B]NZDCHF[/B] up 53.6 pips.

Total pips for this week= 616.2 pips.

This brings up the total amount of pips since we started the test two weeks ago to 1070.2 pips.

In a bit I will give my analysis for next week.

Hi guys!
Good morning and good weekend.
I got all my ducks in a row now. So, here comes some perspective.
This weeks run down.

Monday/Tuesday/Wed////Thursday/Friday
NZD////CAD/////USD////GBP//////USD////
CAD////AUD/////GBP/////CHF//////CAD////
AUD////CHF/////CAD/////CAD//////JPY/////
JPY/////NZD/////EUR/////NZD//////NZD////
USD////GBP/////CHF//////EUR//////CHF////
CHF////EUR//////NZD/////AUD/////AUD////
GBP////USD//////AUD////USD//////EUR////
EUR////JPY///////JPY//////JPY//////GBP/////

[B]Majors vs. Comms[/B]

Monday: C +14
Tuesday:C +12
Wednesday:M +5
Thursday: EVEN
Friday: C +3

So this week goes to the Comms. With a total weekly added up score of +24. ( +14 +12 -5 +0 +3)
Little retrospect here.
Sept. 1st week—Comms (was the 4th in a row) (+27)
Sept. 2nd week–Majors (+52)
Sept. 3rd week—Comms (+24)
So, for the month of Sept. we can see, yes, Comms took 2 weeks of 3 so far, but when the Majors took that 2nd week, it was by a lot! Basically we could call it even so far for the month.
And this is talking about the battle between Majors vs. Comms.

Here goes the strong down to the weak. For this past week.

[B]Total pips[/B]. Weekly candle difference, against everyone.
CAD: +1462
GBP: +666 (:16:)
USD: +332
NZD: +104
CHF: -296
AUD: -548
EUR: -728
JPY : -992

[B]Majors vs. Comms[/B]

CAD: +1086
NZD: +157
AUD: -225

GBP: +48
USD: -13
CHF: -150
JPY : -399
EUR: -504

[B]Trending[/B]:

Remember 2 weeks ago (or 3) we had at the top USD, AUD, CAD tied, trending high both long and short term against everyone. And between them three they were ranging. Even steven.
Then last week AUD dropped out of that quickly. CAD dropped just a tad while USD upped it some.
Now we have CAD boosted back up to the top. And now I have determined that the USD and CAD are tied at the top, trending high against everyone both long term (weekly charts) and short term (daily charts).
And between them I have them ranging long term and short term. “RR” .
And the difference being CAD shot up, and USD dropped down (between them two).

Ok guys. That’s some perspective. History.
Now let’s compare that to what’s up and coming. Trends to continue? New trends gonna come about? Changes?

Oh, Philip. Man…I’m so curious to see what you got. You have to be pretty specific when you explain it to me. I’m not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.
And if it’s top secret stuff, private message me. :57:
I’m so looking forward to seeing what you’ve been working so hard on.

Mike

Phillip, out of curiosity. Where would my stop go on these entries?

Thanks,
Mike

Rookie, I’m a grandad, so I watch some cartoons when the kids come to visit - one called Curious George :slight_smile:

Two good post there guys.

Two guestion on Philip. Can you please write exactly how you used our system? As far as I know you used the system rules but not the COT Index for crosses. You wrote there something about running it in a program or something like that. The system looks very good we should all start testing and discussing it simultaneously. That is why it would be crucial from you to write a very detailed post about all the steps you make from the beginning to decide with the pairs, which entry and exit you use (I guess the exit is the 3 bar method). Once and for everyone in 1 post discussing all issues.

Oh man I forgot the other question but I have to go. See you guys later

PS: if I have time I try to share some thoughts on how I see NZD currently