Could someone help me understand what happened to a demo trade?

I’ve been using an Investopedia demo for the past six months and it was going well, but in a very simplified way. As such i switched to forex.com’s demo platform account so i can understand things more. I’ve been placing orders and it’s generally been going well, save for one very confusing moment.

I placed a Buy order for 500,000 at 112.192. I placed a limit of 112.292 and a stop loss of 111.942. I then left it alone for an hour. I came back to find the order showing as in the images linked, with the order closed at a loss, but in such a way that it looks like a profit:

The image seems to have shown that while around at around the rate of 112.942, the stop loss has taken effect and closed the order at a loss (the platform doesn’t seem to show me the results of my order, but according to my efxnow report it looks like it’s a loss of around 20pips/£900). According to my Orders summary (also in the screenshot), the limit and stop loss were cancelled and a sell order was placed automatically.

So what happened? It looks like even if i were to close the order at the time it closed manually it would have been at a profit rather than a loss. It almost looks like the Stop loss saw a rate of 112.942, thought it said 111.942 and closed the order through a Stop loss by mistake by mistake (but i really hope that an automated system handling money isn’t doing that). I’m still very much a beginner so i get the feeling this is my misunderstanding. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Shariku

You seem to have misread the prices from your charts. As you can see from the Day’s Range circled below in red, the USD/JPY rate has traded nowhere near 112.942, while your stop loss level of 111.942 has been hit.

If you have questions about FOREX.com demos and/or platforms, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us in the Broker Support section of BabyPips.

Thanks for that, but i’m not sure if that’s the case. While the price has very much dropped down now. At the time of my Buy and the automatic selling that occurred it was still above the Stop loss line. If you see the image below the buy arrow is at 112.0xx, the sell arrow is around 112.2xx and my little squiggly red line i marked is where 111.924 roughly is. While the rate did drop significantly later in the day, my order closed on its own before that.

I agree it got nowhere near 112.942 but at the time it wasn’t near 111.924 either.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw3ojYXOvOr3Yy1Fa1BjeERhNEU

1 Like

We investigated this further @Shariku and we believe we have identified the cause of the discrepancy.

It seems your TradingView charts are set to one time zone, while the trade data you see in the Account Manager tab below are set to a different time zone.

Your Account Manager is set to UTC. Please go to Settings (the gear icon) and then the Timezone/Sessions tab to change the Time Zone on your charts to UTC as well. Then you can confirm for yourself how your stop loss was triggered at 12:30 GMT (also known as UTC).

Ah fair enough. That makes sense. I’ve corrected it now. Thanks for your time.

1 Like

It’s our pleasure to help @Shariku

Glad that’s resolved :slight_smile: