Detailed advice what to do on Brexit Vote day and day after

I was thinking of hedging them. This isn’t allow in US, if I’m not mistaken. Even outside US, brokers are closing hedging trades. Seriously, I believe a lot of brokers don’t pass your trade through, they just bet against you (conflict of interests), considering it’s a fact that 90% losses out. This will be the only reason why they’d close/ban hedging. Hedging increases your odds dramatically with big news/events and of course like any trade it’s never a guarantee. I plan to hedge(gamble) only on big news, on other days, I keep educating myself, to learn the trade.
Oh, by the way, figures, anyone?

Thank you PipMeHappy, yes I’ve went there as per your previous recommendation but my question still remain,

had a look but I’ve no clue what it’s all about? Haha, I am a newbie.
What is position size? Does that mean lot size?
What is ask price? Sell/buy price?
What about equity? Does that matter for the lot size?

Thank you once again :slight_smile:

Position means how many pips you are targeting;

lot size means 100000, 10000, 1000 etc. (or 1 lot, 0.1 lot, 0.01 lot)…

Equity on an open position does not matter because it refers to your account

as a whole… Your balance does not include your floating/unrealised profits and losses,

so for that you look at equity, which is how much you would be left with AFTER closing

any existing positions.

That is it, simplified to the maximum :slight_smile:

Do you mean buying and selling the SAME currency pair?

You could, however do that across two pairs,

for example:

1. buy GBP/USD;

2. sell GBP/NZD…

This way, if the Pound rose you could close the second trade, and if viceversa, then close the first…

All your questions (above, and from other posts) [I][U]are answered in the school pages[/U][/I] here: [B]School of Pipsology | Learn Forex Trading[/B]

Yes, I mean buying and selling on the same pair.
Please correct me on my figures,
US$300 account plus leverage of 1:2 (2x) which means I can lose out a maximum of US$300 but can place a trade of US$600. Right or wrong?
With my equity of US$300, 1 lot equal 300 X 1% = US$3.00
1 pip equal 1 lot???
Hahaha, I don’t even know how much is that 1 pip. Sorry, my bad… :frowning:

Thanks Lexys, I’m on middle school on babypips school. I will look into my past lesson to see if I miss out anything. :slight_smile:

Pip value is not the same across all currency pairs…

If using EUR/USD as an example, however,

then 1 pip on a 100000 (= 1 standard lot) position is

worth 10 currency units; 1 pip on a 10000 (=1 mini lot)

position is worth 1 currency unit; 1 pip on a 1000

(= 1 micro lot) position is worth 0.10 currency units…

Most brokers do not allow for positions under 1000

units, so if yours can let you trade a 600 units position

then all the better…

For pip values on different currency pairs please

use the calculator I gave you the link for…

By the way, I found the answer with Google.
Calculating direct Rate Pip Value
Pip stands for “price interest point” and refers to the smallest incremental price move of a currency. Tick size is the smallest possible change in price. Pip value for direct rates are calculated according to the following formula:
Formula: Pip = lot size x tick size
Example for 100,000 GBP/USD contract:
1 pip = 100,000 (lot size) x .0001 (tick size) = $10.00 USD

Calculating Direct Rate P/L (Profit/Loss)
Calculating P/L for direct rates is calculated as follows:
Formula: Selling price - Purchase price = P/L

Example for 200,000 GBP/USD contract initially bought at 1.7505 then sold (closed) at 1.7540:
1.7540 (selling price) - 1.7505 (purchase price) = .0035 positive pip difference = 35 pip profit

To further convert the above P/L to USD, use the following calculation:
Formula: Pip profit (loss) x lot size x tick size = USD profit (loss)
35 (pip profit) x 200,000 (lot size) x .0001 (tick size) = USD $700 profit

It’s strange, because I remember the broker told me that equity is important to make real money. I remember him showing me how he took the equity and multiply them with a percentage which I assume is lot size. Seem like I was wrong all the while. :). I will have to look into these to make sure I am familiar with them.

Aha, a Big Thank You, PipMeHappy. Now, everything is starting to make sense. My apology for my dumbness, hahaha…

if you want my opinion.in my book the fear of a potential brexit and the possible collapse of the european union is the main reason for gold and silver to rally since a few months. so i expect a big votality there aswell. i see a high chance of gold dropping very quickly back to 1100 after the brexit if UK chooses to stay in EU.

so its ur decition to stay in or not but im very sure of hight volatility on all speculative markets (pretty much all markets besides industry value commodities [oil. copper. energy etc] and food markets [us wheat soy beans corn etc] and gold is a very much speculative market as gold is barely used for any industry except jewelery. gold is always beeing used by the speculators as a save harbour in rough times. so the rise is in my eyes a natural reaction on the fear of things (like brexit or crash or whatever) and after (if UK votes to stay in EU [And im 99% sure they will stay] i expect the people who were in the “safe harbour” gold to pull their ships out and sail back to bonds/stock markets

Agreed…

There is an interesting discussion here about gold and silver in the global context:

See what John O’Donnell says here from 10’50’’ of the podcast… how Silver is actually USED

FOR GOODS (whereas gold is recycled) and is therefore more of a consumable metal…

and for this reason Silver can outperform Gold in time as it is a supply-based price

(as supply shrinks, price will rise)…

thanks PMH, ill definately check it out laterr when im home on my computer

Rookie question: When is the actual Brexit? I saw somewhere it’s June 23rd but I can’t see it on any of the calendars?

23rd is the vote. in the evening central european time well get first results then few months later (if uk leaves) the underhouse or what their senate is called has to ratify/sign the vote as legitime and start the exit. the exit itself will take years to be finished.

What he said…

In one of the articles posted by PMH or Turbo it stated that even if the Brexit vote goes through, it will take until 2019 for the actual Brexit to happen!

I’m afraid not. The polls don’t even close until 10.00, UK time (11.00pm CET).

And after that, the ballot papers all have to be transported from local polling stations to regional counting-centres, before counting can even [I]start[/I].

The earliest two results (probably from the Sunderland and Newcastle regions, which have a reputation to maintain for “always being the first counted” in elections) will be about 12.30 - 1.00 am UK time (1.30 - 2.00 CET), but most of the early results are going to be around 4.00/5.00 CET, not in the evening. Especially if it’s close, it could easily be 8.00/9.00 am tomorrow, CET, before there’s a firm result.

I very nearly had reasons to say you’re not quite right. But indeed, had I taken your advice, I would’ve been a lot happier today. You’re absolutely correct.

What happen was I bought EUR/GBP, GBP/AUD, GBP/USD, GBP/JPY at about 16:00 on the 23/06/2016 and placed my “Stop loss” and “Take profit” at ratio 2 to 5 because of my believe and the fairly optimistic air around here that the “in Vote” will prevail in the referendum.

At about 10:30 PM my time here in the UK, the profit in each of these positions has trippled. But unfortunately, I failed to place “Trailing stop” to lock in those gains as I went to bed. That was it! I woke up to find that my gains has all been wipped out and in fact I’ve been driven back into red and cut off.

Lucky me it was on a Demo. A lesson has been learned. Thanks Buddy,