Discussion: Understanding & Trading Price Action

From Price Action and the Price Patterns they create
You can most certainly learn to trade naked “indicators not required”. Price leads indicators always.

This shows clearly that “price action” is defined by opposition to indicators - though this doesn’t mean you are forbidden to also use indicators as confirmation.

Price action, I think, is the actual shape of the candlesticks, i.e. morning / evening star, doji, harami …

Trading price action thus would involve comparing the recently closed candle bar with the past, e.g. : the past three to five bars to spot breakouts, continuation or reversal patterns in price; or the past day(s) weeks, months, 100bars to spot action about support/resistance and pivots, ‘great bars at great locations’ (classical PA).

Indicators come in to complement PA, but some guys found that they could only begin to make profit with indicators after learning to switch them off completely …

PS: In advanced Elliot Wave, I’d use the shape of candles (on h1?) to know if a 100pip-or-so long streak is an impulse or corrective wave. Works always.

I don’t understand, are you saying that the natural evolution of our charts happens directly opposing what indicators are telling us? The link you gave me does not clearly show anything other then its a poorly codded website (but I happen to know a bit about website/page development :wink: ), and while I have not had a chance to review all the content yet the page you linked to does not support your statment.

Don’t get me wrong indicators have their place, and if used correctly they can be powerful. I simply want to find out how to trade without them. I think in doing so I will become a better trader, and the many traders that know a piece of the puzzle will themselves learn more of where their puzzle piece fits, and what the other pieces are. I thank you for the link and I will review it, but I’m not sure how it supports your vauge statement.

I look forward to your future posts on this topic. Do you have anything in specific you would like to learn or share? Should I add Advanced Elliot Wave theory to the back burner?

Your definition for price action does not contradict our current definition, so our current definition still stands.

Hello again. Just wanted to agree (again) with Master Tang with momentum and direction. Everything else is price (candelstick) analysis. Even indicators analyse price action(any 1 has a better idea where indicators are born?), the only difference between indicatorish and naked trading is how far your analysis goes from price action. If any of my words disagrees with logic please say as harshly as you can.
Also i would like to ask to add to the back burner the flow of each currency pair? How differently each pair moves, reacts to news and so on… I think that this is directly related to price action and it could be an interesting topic.

I see no obvious faults with your statements thus far, but we will cover that when we get to discussing tools then we can cover what does and does not constitute naked chart trading, and the logic behind each decision.

I have added that to the back burner list, it does sound like it will be an interesting topic.

Sorry if this appears a bit of a dumb question, but it’s all a bit new to me, what I’m trying to do is group stuff together, so my question is - is price action, patterns and Elliot Waves all related?

Kalie66,

Welcome!

Short answer is yes, and no depending on the person your asking. For me, yes.

Long answer:
Some people consider trading price action to only include specific patterns. Others say it includes any patterns that the price display. Depending on which camp you are in depends on which answer you will give.

Elliot waves are a type of pattern. Patterns are a way to trade price action(s). In my mind price actions are the actions that the price has taken. In other words we are specifically looking for patterns. Some are other forms of patterns include trend lines, S&R lines, fib. lines, fans, etc.

Newbies tend to get excited when they hear that patterns are repeatable, provable, etc. The problem is they ignore the fact that several conflicting patterns often appear in the same price action.

I strongly suggest you learn price actions before learning indicators because that is what I wish I started learning when I was getting into trading myself. The problem is, its more difficult to learn then indicators, and it takes much more practice (so called “Screen time”) to get it right. Even when your “right” the market could be going the other direction for no real reason.

Good luck, and welcome to the thread!

Thanks for that, I’ve had a look at indicators and just thought it was a summary of what you can see anyway, so thanks, yes I think I will give them a miss and stick to price action it seems to make more sense to me.

I’ve read more than once that a market will give back half it’s value that it has gained, does this happen in forex?

I assume your talking about retracments, and generally speaking yes, but you have to know your starting and ending point. More often they obey Fibonacci retracment amounts 38% and 62% I think it is, but you would have to look that up.

You may want to read up on retracements and Fibonacci retracements while your at it :wink: