Forex - a big illusion?

I try to get some profits for a few years, i loss a LOT of my money, but i think it was my mistake. For last 9 months i trade very accurate, i earn only 7-9% of my deposit per month, but i think its a good result for me… Besides i become a partner of one of the good brokers (where i have live account), and try to earn on my rebates. So totally i think - forex can give us good salary.

Hey maxol- it is funny for me to see this post: you and I think alike (I guess the phrase ‘great minds think alike’ must occasionally ring true!)
During my freshman days of Forex trading, I asked myself the same question- why the heck wouldn’t a successful trader just leave their job and become a millionaire? As my knowledge of the Forex Market grew through experience, I have come to a new understanding why the successful traders do not take my initial advise. Becoming a successful trader is all about mentality; if someone quits his job he will become very nervous while trading because he will know that he HAS to earn quick money in order to feed his family. Another trader mentality affecting this is most trader only feel comfortable trading a certain amount of money, once he enlarges his trades’ size, he may become nervous and will loose money.
You will understand this trading pattern as you spend more time in the market! Good Luck~

If a trader has the fear of losing money with a job or without it he is not a good trader period. Having a job or not has nothing to do with it. If a billionaire trades a micro account and doesn´t care about the money, is this a good trader? Certainly not. Just because he can affort it doesn´t make him a better trader.

If someone has a problem when he loses some money he shouldn´t have a trading account.

So nobody would have a trading account because when you begin to trade futures,stocks,commodities,forex,etc that feeling of fear is present in your mind,or perhaps isildur you were an exception…i dont know it but i would like knowing it,
enjoy the weekend¡

Everytime when i receive my money from forex trading I understand that forex is not big illusion, this is the good way to get the money, of course you have a big risk of losses, but if you have a clever mind, if you really wanna win, you will do everything for getting Your money. I think that psychology of this game (I named it like this) is the most important part of forex.

I suppose if you’re losing lots of money it’s definitely a big illusion!

But when you’re pulling out profit from fxopen or alpari each month, I can assure you it’s definitely not an illusion.

What, and you’re making money from fxopen and alpari?

Sorta sad updating this, I was joking about the “margin call” comment.
He’s actually blown 1.7 million dollars & is been strung up for fraud :frowning:

wow thats a lot of dough

Yeah & that’s only the half of it, there’s also his own capital that’s disappeared & I know that he was worth a LOT of $$$ at one point, now he hasn’t a single bean to his name!

This is the only forex trader I’ve actually known in the real world, so when this came to my knowledge it really shook my confidence in the validity of retail forex.

It would put my mind at ease if I actually knew someone successfully trading (profitably & consistently) out there… I think that’s a reasonable requisite, after all it’s supposed to be a business & if you were to invest in any other business you’d want to see the books & check out the plant / machinery & processes involved in the running of said business, agree?

Why do you need to SEE someone personally to make yourself realize wealth is obtainable in Forex?

Your right, or your wrong, if you cut your losses short, and your winning bets > then your losses, you cant lose…

Get your hit rate over 85%, keep your bad calls short lived, and move on.

Its not very hard, just do it…

As for the Green As Grass relavite, thats horrible… Cool you didnt get reeled in on that one, right?

Dont these people watch " American Greed", goooosh, Sooner or later, it will catch-up to you…

Why do you need to SEE someone personally to make yourself realize wealth is obtainable in Forex?

Ok so lets pretend I’m selling you my “business” over the internet.

You’ve never seen anything like it in real life & you’d be more then happy to throw your hard earned cash at it with no statements showing cash flow & actual banked profits? Nothing but my words of assurance…

Your right, or your wrong, if you cut your losses short, and your winning bets > then your losses, you cant lose…
Get your hit rate over 85%, keep your bad calls short lived, and move on.
Its not very hard, just do it…

95% of traders “just do it” & don’t seem to agree…

Finally, is it really too much to ask for proof??
I mean by what you’re saying I assume you could easily prove your argument, correct?

the best analogy to get the right perspective is not cost base, production/supply, sell-at-margin businesses but poker and professional sports book/Vegas betting.

if people in forex began from the outset understanding the “game” they are playing (basic mathematical theory categorises forex and stock trading alongside the likes of poker and so on) there would be no confusion.

The majority of people betting PROFESSIONALLY (profitably and consistently with longevity) represent a very small basket of fortunate (if not skilled) individuals out of an entire mountain of people who have been taken out by the “market” (odds and opportunities offered for a consideration on a whole host of events, chances and outcomes).

ongoing opportunities persist as players keep on returning for more and more. stories of a big win obscure many stories of losing. do people live off of gambling, sure - but these are rare people. could a gambler raise capital from others to gamble? Sure - happens in the mob all the time and also in “fund management” and folks asking someone they know to “have a go”.

trading per se is not a business if by a business you mean the supply of a product or service to a paying customer (a commercial exchange), it is gambling (the placing into risk of a monetary consideration, the redeeming of which (in full, surplus or deficit) is subject to some future un-predetermined/nondeterministic event i.e chance) but it can nonetheless be an economically lucrative activity if your lucky (or perhaps skilled).

So forex is forex.

Anything else comprises a level of misunderstanding that should in principle preclude one suffering from this kind of misunderstanding from even participating in the first place.

In many countries they have state help for those with gambling problems - trading is gambling somehow misconstrued by many as something else. The state discourages certain types of people and personalities from getting involved, trading industry so far has no such thing but it needs it. People are putting money they earn at risk in something they believe in but don’t understand - that destroys capital, it destroys confidence and it also destroys lives.

Look at these broker stats and see the percentage of accounts losing:

Nuts isn’t it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love forex and capital markets generally so therefore I definitely love gambling and taking risk - 'm happy to declare that. I take my participation very seriously and am under no illusion that what I’m doing is NOT a business but it is nonetheless a viable route in and of itself to (or at least a complementary component of a wider journey taking place towards) financial freedom - if I remain lucky (or indeed skilled).

The only people in business in trading are those selling courses, software, hardware, PR, hype, signals and in many many cases good old HOT AIR!

No illusions exist - this a high stakes game - learn that - know that - or deploy your capabilities elsewhere - there’s no doubt many traders are smart - but games of chance require not just intelligence but lots of LUCK and a very dynamic brain - a brain that knows how to read signs, control emotion, maintain discipline, when to walk away, when enough is enough, when to change tact, when to hit the books, when to just press the button (in or out), when the odds are stacked, etc, etc.

Cases in point: Goldman Sachs has shut a fund, LTCM blew up, JP Morgan can’t hedge, Lehman brothers is dead, rogue traders couldn’t achieve what they aimed to behind their managers backs - everyone here knows all of this.

It’s all a game - play if you have to but don’t blame the game, it didn’t invite us - we insisted.

Rant of the day over :slight_smile:

& a very interesting rant at that!
The conclusion?
Forex is an illusion for 95% of it’s participators…

The 95% that listen to everyone saying, 95% loss on average, …

Then traders jump in, already knowing the cards are stacked against them from the start, and its nearly impossible, then they break down, and leave, or try one last time, and loss everything they have,…

You have to be consistant with feeding the brain, and as you do this, your odds of success get better…

All I can say is it get’s much easier over time. You will learn what works best for you over time. There is no secret to success. If you want to live off your investments/trades, your going to need a lot of discipline and a fine tuned approach to secure your chances of high profitability by knowing your odds. Profits take time to accumulate. Im sure almost everyone on this forum would agree it doesn’t happen over night. I myself learned the hard way. Think long term so you have a better understanding of how to approach the short term. It’s not an illusion and it’s not a game, it’s a business. Treat it like a business and you will already put yourself one step above the rest. Good luck. Winners never quit when they are losing. Winners continue to play safely by preserving capital so that they can win or lose till kingdom come

I think the hardest part of Forex is trying to figure out what Color palates I want to use in my Mansion…

I
LOVE
THIS
BUSINESS!!!

No, most traders HAlf-A$$ do it… If you put 3 legs on a table, its going to fall…

If you take 100 people, and give them a real, defined, perfect trading strat, and tell them to do it for 1 year, with no insight to the business, no mentor-ship, and keep telling them, " only 5% of you are going to hit the pinnacle level of this business", 95% will fail… They are already tuned to fail, because they are getting leaky garbage thinking by being told they are possible failures…

I just look at this business in a different way then most, where desire, passion, and confidence to be FREAKING WEALTHY runs thru my blood…

as for proof, you’ll see soon… Im done psoting numbers, Im just going to start posting pics of stuff I buy with my treasure.

Im on a mission,

The only person I have met in the flesh who makes money trading is the man in the mirror! Seriously though, successful traders are few and far between. They are like quantum physicists - do you know one? They are out there though.