Forex Price Action

Okay so this is a super common question and I understand why.

Okay so I DO NOT use ema’s or any indicators as we can simply look at price to determine what it has been doing.

So when looking for trend we need to first keep it simple and secondly think about how losing we are looking to be in the trade. I see some people looking to trade the daily chart and trade swing for 2 -5 days but yet they zoom the chart out and have a look at what the price is doing trend wise for the last 5 years. Who cares?

If we are looking for short swing we need to be trading with the short/medium term trend, taking our profit and exiting.

So here is an example. Below is a chart of the NZDUSD 1 day. The 1st chart shows the short term to medium term trend. This clearly shows price making higher highs and lower lows or in other words an uptrend. Now it is this amount of time when need to worry about as we will be looking to trade swings “within” the uptrend.

The second chart is the same pair but zoomed out. Now you would say it is choppy to down but ho cares as we are not looking to trade for this length of time!

The last thing I want to say is an uptrend is marked by higher highs and lower lows and vice versa for a downtrend. A very comon reversal pattern to look for when the trend changes is the 1,2,3 reversal. Either do a google search or wait a while and I will do an article for you.

Hope this helps and good to have you on board,

Johnathon

Nice post and welcome,

Johnathon

Howdy all

This is where I totally agree with Johnathon about IB that would fail. Its in no mans land

Which are for you the “standard” entry and stop loss for the engulfing bar according to John’s rules?

Standard entry is at the break. As a rule he doesn’t take retrace entries.

As a rule.

Sometimes he does but that is an advanced technique and sometimes it is discussed on certain trades, however for the purposes of this thread I think we should keep it at the standard break.

And usually the stop is at the high or low of the bar. Again this can be tweaked in some cases we will do this, but again this is more if you are a reasonably experienced PA trader.

I know for this thread Johnathon is more keen to look at relevant S&R zones and what PA signals we look for to trade them.

He tends to discuss stops, entry and trade management more in his own forum which I guess is fair enough.

Johnathon, may I have your email addy? Or should I get it from your site?

I will leave my Spongybob and real name so you know its me.

Sure thing Spongy,

yes, you can reach me direct at <[email protected]>

Look forward to talking to you,

Johnathon

Hey Jonathon I’ve been keeping up with this thread pretty well and I must say, you seem to know what you are doing. What are your thoughts on the PA happening on the GBP/USD and EUR/USD WEEKLY time frames at the moment? I’ve never traded the high TF’s like the weekly and monthly (I generally stick with the 4H and daily), but like the thought of it.

GBPUSD approaching support area at 1.5660, watch out for PA at that area to long.

Having said that, we had a high of 1.5930 then a lower high of 1.5880, if 1.5660 doesnt hold we could have a large drop to next support area of 1.5400.

Thanks Johnathon, I actually quiet like this chart setup with while and black. :35:

Hi guys!

Q. GBPJPY D1: would you consider these as “double-bottoms”?

I think teb is referring to this semi-engulfing candle on WEEKLY timeframe…

I saw tebs post, he posted it a few min before I posted my GBP chart.

I was not replying to his post but just giving my view on GBPUSD

Cheers

Yes, that is a double bottom

Hello,

I am travelling at the moment and will reply as soon as I can tomorrow when I am back in the office.

Safe trading,

Johnathon

Update on GBPUSD

Price is now at support, going to be interesting to see what happens here.

I’m just updating the situation here I posted back about 10 pages in the thread. Charts above from that post. Here is how I am playing it, quoted from about 9 pages back

Here are the updated charts, notice there was another smaller successful Head and Shoulders on the 2nd chart a ways back:

Oh one more thing, there is a HUGE Head and Shoulders on the GOLD chart also, with a ridiculous target, and I am talking the Daily chart. If Gold breaks above 1760 and closes above, I am jumping in both feet.

The pattern started Nov 14 2011. The Neckline spanning all the way across is right at 1760. GLTA out there.

Hi JJ, yes Gold is definitely getting interesting.

I’ll attach a chart of how i would play it using Price Action. Bear in mind i am a very conservative trader and like to really stack the odds in my favour when taking a trade.

Firstly we can see that Gold appears to have resumed it’s bullish run so taking longs on the Daily would be in line with the overall and current trend.

Price has now moved up and tested what has been a fairly relevant Resistance zone. Rather than merely playing the breakout I will look for price to move a bit higher and then rotate nicely back to test the former Resistance and see if it is now acting as Support.

Hopefully we will then see a large Pin Bar or Bullish Engulfing Bar at this level as a signal for me to get in long. I’ve marked this level off my Daily time frame but when price rotates back to this zone I may even dial down to my intra-day 4 hour charts and see if I get a relevant PA signal.

I know Johnathon sometimes will go down to the hourly but for me personally 4 hours is as low as I like to go.

Attached is the chart, it is pretty self explanatory but if anyone has any questions just fire away.

That’s a really nice clean chart Spongybob and about all you will need to trade PA.