Forex Trading Sessions

On Sunday, March 25, all of Europe, the U.K., and Ireland will go onto Daylight Saving Time.

The Table of Forex Trading Sessions has been updated to reflect these changes. The updates are highlighted in the Table in yellow. This update will be effective for one week only — until New Zealand and southeastern Australia return to Standard Time on April 1.

The opening and closing times of the Zurich Session and the London Session will change in every GMT time zone on March 25. This is shown with yellow highlighting in the upper portion of the Table.

In the lower portion of the Table, geographical locations whose GMT time zones will change on March 25 are highlighted in yellow. If your location is highlighted, the opening and closing times of at least 5 of the 7 Forex Trading Sessions will change for your time zone.

If your location is not highlighted in yellow in the lower portion of the Table, your GMT time zone will not change on March 25. However, in your time zone, the opening and closing times of the Zurich Session and the London Session will change, as noted above.

If your location is marked with an asterisk (*), then your location does not observe Daylight Saving Time, and your GMT time zone will not change on March 25, or at any other time throughout the year. However, the opening and closing times of the Zurich Session and the London Session will change in your time zone on March 25, as noted above.

If your location does not appear in the Table (e.g. Malta, Morocco, Newfoundland, Venezuela, Samoa, etc.), you can refer to this — Time Zone Map — to find your current GMT time zone.

Notes below the Table describe how to use it.

Notes:

1. The Table above lists the opening time and closing time of the normal business day in each of the 7 principal forex trading markets.

2. Each horizontal line in the Table refers to a particular GMT time zone. The times shown on that horizontal line are local times in that time zone.

3. If you know your current GMT time zone (accounting for daylight saving time, where applicable), you can use the upper portion of the Table to find opening and closing times in 7 markets. Those times are current in your time zone.

4. If you do not know your current GMT time zone, use the lower portion of the Table to find the correct time zone for your location, for this particular time of year. Then, refer to your GMT time zone in the upper portion of the Table, and read the current opening and closing times in 7 markets.

5. For additional Notes on the Table (and on time zones, in general), scroll back to post #2 on this thread.

very useful, thanks a lot!

Freaking legend.

Babypips should award you with most organized forumer ever!

Still, thanks and appreciate it as always.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

The last update to the Table (for this season) will be posted tomorrow. Then, we can all forget about DST foolishness — until late September, when we get to do this all over again.

On Sunday, April 1, New Zealand and the southeastern portion of Australia will return to Standard Time.

Also this weekend,

Israel will go onto Daylight Saving Time today, Friday, March 30, and

• most of Mexico will go onto Daylight Saving Time on Sunday, April 1.

The Table of Forex Trading Sessions has been updated to reflect these changes. The updates are highlighted in the Table in yellow. This will be the last change in Session times, until September 2012.

The opening and closing times of the Wellington (New Zealand) Session and the Sydney (Australia) Session will change in every GMT time zone on April 1. These changes are shown with yellow highlighting in the upper portion of the Table.

In the lower portion of the Table, geographical locations whose GMT time zones will change on April 1 are highlighted in yellow. If your location is highlighted — for example, Melbourne, Australia — then the opening and closing times of at least 5 of the 7 Forex Trading Sessions will change in your time zone.

If your location is not highlighted in yellow in the lower portion of the Table — for example, the U.K. — then your GMT time zone will not change on April 1. However, in your time zone, the opening and closing times of the Wellington Session and the Sydney Session will change, as noted above.

If your location is marked with an asterisk (*) — for example, Japan — then your location does not observe Daylight Saving Time, and your GMT time zone will not change on April 1, or at any other time throughout the year. However, the opening and closing times of the Wellington Session and the Sydney Session will change in your time zone on April 1, as noted above.

If your location does not appear in the Table — for example, Malta, Morocco, Newfoundland, Venezuela, Samoa, etc. — then you can refer to this map to find your current GMT time zone.

Notes below the Table describe how to use it.

Notes:

1. The Table above lists the opening time and closing time of the normal business day in each of the 7 principal forex trading markets.

2. Each horizontal line in the Table refers to a particular GMT time zone. The times shown on that horizontal line are local times in that time zone.

3. If you know your current GMT time zone (accounting for daylight saving time, where applicable), you can use the upper portion of the Table to find opening and closing times in 7 markets. Those times are current in your time zone.

4. If you do not know your current GMT time zone, use the lower portion of the Table to find the correct time zone for your location, for this particular time of year. Then, refer to your GMT time zone in the upper portion of the Table, and read the current opening and closing times in 7 markets.

5. For additional Notes on the Table (and on time zones, in general), scroll back to post #2 on this thread.

First and foremost thank you Clint for the time you spent putting this chart together. If I am reading this correct, every market opens at 08:00 there time and closes at 17:00 there time. I was taught that some open at different times and Japan takes a lunch break. My question is , I am relatively new trader, do forex traders view 08:00-17:00 as the exact time each market opens and closes? I am wondering what exact time each market opens and closes and what country is considered the “euro” time zone for opening/closing market time. Thanks for your time.

Hello, evision. Welcome to this Forum.

There is no answer to the question ‘what is the [B]exact[/B] time that each market opens and closes’, for this reason: There are no “exchanges” on which spot forex is traded, so there are no opening or closing “bells” to signal the beginning and end of trading each day. Trading continues around the clock in every market.

But, that round-the-clock trading is not at a constant pace. In every market, the [B]pace[/B] of forex trading activity — what we call [B]trading volume[/B] — rises and falls each day according to a repeating pattern. Generally, in each market, most of each day’s trading volume occurs during “regular business hours” in that market.

Specifically, trading [B]volume[/B] rises dramatically at about 8am local time in each market, and then trails off significantly in the afternoon. I have estimated that more than 85% of all the trading volume occurring in a 24-hour period occurs in the 9 hours between 8am and 5pm each day in each market.

Therefore, like many other traders, I use 8am-5pm, local time, as the “trading session” in each market.

So, for Tokyo, it’s 8am-5pm JST. For Zurich, it’s 8am-5pm CET (or CEST, depending on time of year). For London, it’s 8am-5pm GMT (or BST, depending on time of year). And for New York, it’s 8am-5pm EST (or EDT, depending on time of year).

What influences the “opening” and “closing” times of the forex market in any country? Well, the opening and closing times of the largest commercial banks, and the opening and closing times of the local stock exchanges, have a lot to do with it. But, it would be a mistake to assume that forex trading begins when the banks or the stock exchanges open, or that forex trading ends when the banks or the stock exchanges close.

[B]The daily pattern of trading volume in each market is the key metric.[/B] When forex trading volume rises dramatically in the morning, the forex trading session has begun. And when forex trading volume has fallen off significantly in the late afternoon, the forex trading session has ended.

You should become a student of forex trading volume, as measured by “tick volume”. Use the [B]Search[/B] feature in this Forum to find relevant threads on the topic of volume.

If I’m correctly understanding your last question, answering it will require some background discussion.

Most of the Euro Zone countries (that is, the countries using the euro as their currency) lie within the [B]Central European Time[/B] zone (CET, or CEST, depending on time of year). Notably, the [B]major forex market participants[/B] are all located in the Central European Time zone. These major participants (in order, according to forex trading [B]volume[/B]) are France, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Spain, and several others.

And the largest forex player in Europe — Switzerland — is in the Central European Time zone, as well. But, as you probably know, Switzerland is not part of the Euro Zone; Switzerland uses the franc, not the euro, as their currency.

In addition, there are other countries within the Central European Time zone which do [B]not[/B] use the euro as their currency. Nevertheless, [B]their participation in the currency market contributes to the total volume of the “European Session”.[/B] As a research project, see whether you can identify those countries.

The term [B]Europe[/B] can mean different things.

• In its broadest sense, Europe is everything from Iceland to Cyprus.

• Since the days of the Cold War, it has been common to speak of Europe as being divided politically into [B]Eastern Europe[/B] (east of the old Soviet Iron Curtain), and [B]Western Europe[/B] (west of the Iron Curtain). Those terms are still used sometimes, even today.

• The term [B]continental Europe[/B] refers to everything from France east to Eurasia. Obviously, this excludes the British Isles and Iceland.

• Continental Europe is divided into three time zones: [B]Eastern European Time, Central European Time and Western European Time.[/B] These time zones do not coincide exactly with any of the other ways in which Europe is divided. The Western European Time zone refers only to Portugal. Portugal and the U.K. lie in the same time zone.

• The [B]European Union[/B] is a political arrangement involving many of the countries of “greater Europe” (meaning Europe in the broadest sense).

• And the [B]Euro Zone[/B] is the collection of countries whose currency is the euro, not all of which are part of the European Union. Non-Europeans frequently think that the European Union and the Euro Zone are one and the same, which is incorrect.

So, whenever you hear the term “Europe”, you need to be sure that you understand which “Europe” is being referred to.

When Europe comes to market each day, a large number of countries, from Switzerland on down, quickly ramp up their daily business activity and their daily forex trading volume. That happens around 8am Central European Time. That’s what I, and many other traders, call the “opening of the European Session”, or simply the “European open”.

You can call it the [B]European Session,[/B] the [B]Frankfurt Session,[/B] or (as I do) the [B]Zurich Session.[/B] Those labels all mean the same thing. I choose to call it the Zurich Session, because Zurich is the banking and trading hub of Switzerland, and Switzerland is by far the largest forex market participant in continental Europe.

You will find other sources which specify different times for the various trading sessions. And you will find other sources which list fewer than 7 principal trading sessions. I have just given you my reasons for using the 8am-5pm local time period for each session. If you study the Notes which are part of my posts on this thread, you will find my reasons for listing 7 principal trading sessions — rather than 4, or 5, or 6, as some sources do.

The most recent version of the Table of Forex Trading Sessions (post #25, dated 3.30.12) is accurate and will remain in effect until late September.

Now that all the March/April daylight saving time changes are behind us, the yellow highlighting in that Table is just a distraction. So, later tonight, or tomorrow, I will post a cleaned-up copy of the same Table, without the highlighting. There will be no change to any of the times shown in the Table.

Notes:

Hey there, will you be updating this thread for the next batch of timezones?
I find these updates extremely useful and i would really really appreciate it if you continued doing them :slight_smile:

That updating is already underway. A new thread has been started to cover the period September 2012 - April 2013.

This thread is now obsolete. Refer to the new thread. All relevant info, including the Notes, have been transferred to the new thread.