How many pips do you need a month to make a living - realistically

Thanks azzkirk and hoehni the kinda of comments I was looking for. Anymore like this are welcomed.

Thanks

Yeah its true about lot size, but if your strategy offers more pip profit per month you can use a lower lot size and make more money.

For example if at £1 a pip:
Strategy that provides 500pip a month = £500 a month
A Strategy that provides 100pips a month at £1 a pip = £100 a month

So I like higher pip profit strategies so
500pips at £10 a pip earn £5000 a month etc

But that’s just my feelings and strategy I like using.

But it was good to know I’m not the only one.

Hostile or just plain honest bro? Will quite happily sugar coat everything for you if you like. Trading is such a lonely game and you will need to learn much if not everything by yourself regardless of the wealth of information that is available. Each and everyone’s trading style is personalized and unique. That’s why the question you ask is in reality void. I trade the 70 tick chart, make 5 to 10 pips a trade and with my MM that represent 2% to 5%. If I get a trade on at a news event this can shot up to 25+%. But man my hearts a pumping and the adrenalin is flowing. And I love it. But my trading style and plan won’t suit 95% of traders out there. But its what you have to do if you want to make a living out of forex. If your here to protect and grow your investment then its a different ball game and what I make in a trade you would be happy if you made in a month. It comes down to your own personal goals

As for strategy bro, what are you afraid off in sharing. First there is not a one strategy fits all out there and secondly, even if you published it in a newspaper most traders wouldn’t have the discipline to follow it. From the sound of it your stategy would not meet my goals. Focus on the process not the result my friend.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with you… generally, the amount of pips is correlated directly with the lot size that the trader is using. The smaller the lot size the bigger the amount of pips IMHO.

The best way is to use risk to reward ratio… this way you don’t have to worry about your pips and only focus on your strategy/entry. Dynamic SL & TP is a great way to go.

I am newbie in trading so my target per day won’t be too high. I just targeted about 10-30 pips daily, usually I got 15-20 pips.

At a dollar a pip I need 5000 pips a month at $10 a pip I need 500 pips a month and at $20 a pip I only need 250.

Lonely game? Maybe not so much, we have babypips forum, don’t we?:wink:

I would say you’re doing GREAT at 50-100 profit per day. OR you could just trade Binary Options like me. MUCH better if you don’t have 5 figures to start with.

If you’re referring to 50-100 PIPS profit per day, I’d completely disagree as that being an accurate measure of someone doing “great” vs “not-so-great”.

Pips are an absolutely meaningless measure of a trading systems’ pure profitability on their own.

Trader A can make 100 pips a day, which is equivalent to 2% ROI.
Trader B can make 10 pips a day, which is equivalent to 2% ROI.
Trader C can make 30 pips a day, which is equivalent to 6% ROI.