Is it possible to become a Professional Trader from engineering background..?

Is it possible to become a Professional Trader from engineering background…? I have done Masters in electronics but I have no knowledge about finance or economics.
Where can I get trained to be professional trader?
Which are the good books to be professional trader?

Hi! I also didn’t study economics and finance… Just started because I wanted quick cash to buy a new car… but now it’s become one of my main daily activity… So don’t worry start step by step you will get there,… I first read babypips’ education part… it’s very helpful :slight_smile:

Hope your dreams won’t be destroyed with the complexity of trading or addiction that you work out in case of uncontrollable trading. Always hope for better but be ready for worst.

Honestly I believe that most traders started without any financial background and knowledge. So I don’t see any reason why you cannot become a professional trader if you have the desire and skills. You could always treat it as a hobby at first in order to see if this business will suit you as trust me it’s not for everyone. You need to be prepared to invest a lot of time in order to study and explore the trading matter. Babypips school here is quite useful for newbies.
As for the books, there are some threads in which this has been discussed, they could help you: Pipcrawler’s Favorite Trading Books
Good Literature for a beginner? Top FX Books?

1 Like

Hi Sunil,

Many professionals have skills that have the potential to cross over into trading. As an engineer with a focus on electronics, you probably are good with numbers and computational logic which could translate well to technical analysis and automated trading.

Developing and testing an automated strategy has some useful similarities to electrical engineering. Your understanding of safety factors could also help you to be more conservative in your risk management which can be a weak point for most beginner traders.

If you have no knowledge of finance or economics, then start with the free lessons available on this site. While you go through the lessons, test what you learn with a free demo account. Consider MT4, since it’s a free platform with automation capabilities offered by many (most?) forex brokers including FOREX.com :slight_smile:

Its possible to be a succesful trader regardless of background.

It takes dicipline, hard work and dedication to earn a masters in any field. You’ll need the same to have success as a trader.

Read every book on trading you can, take advantage of all the free information available online, then jump in the market, pay your “tuition” and learn from your mistakes. The market will be the best teacher you will ever have.

Best of luck to you.

1 Like