Live trading thread for my EA account with Oanda & Avonko

So overall +120 pips, if that’s what you were looking for

Very good. How many wins, and how many losses to accrue those gains?

This morning’s trade:

2008.2.14 09:00 buy gbpusd @ 1.9698
t/p 2008.2.14 17:02 t/p gbpusd @ 1.9728

2.0 lots
Total profit: $300.00 USD

Bal: 6500.00USD, +1500NET

This morning’s trade:

2008.2.15 09:45 sell gbpusd @ 1.9658
t/p 2008.2.15 11:10 t/p gbpusd @ 1.9628

2.0 lots
Total profit: $300.00 USD

Bal: 6800.00USD, +1800NET

JW…Does your Avonko EA trade daily? You seem to be missing a few days. Would you mind taking a screenshot of your account by date descending order since Feb 2008 with your profit/loss showing?:cool:

Quick question, why is it that you mention this Avonko thing is every post you make? Not just on this thread, but pretty much [B][U]ALL[/U][/B] your posts are about this system… :rolleyes:
Yes, that’s right. 38 posts, 38 references to Avonko (ignoring duplicates). I see you are a big fan of this system, I’m sure you are just showing how much you like it, and these posts are not hidden advertisements, absolutely not… :rolleyes:

Seems pretty impressive so far, 6 trades, 6 wins… best system ever… Cue a losing trade next Monday just to make it look real :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is my awesome trade today:
Long bla-bla-currency/so-and-so-curreny 5.3501
closed position at some made up number 60.2175
120000% profit with 100:1 leverage

Ha! Beat that! Better than Avonko…

Please post your trades when you open them, because anyone can look at the past and report the amazing imaginary trades they had… We would soon see how good this system really is… :rolleyes:

I agree with addict. Theres no point of showing us the profits unless you post your trades before hand.

I’ve noticed its all gone quiet on this thread…how strange!

SM01 - Interesting and should be very thought provoking for those new to this business. Profits must be considered relative to risk and its the maximum drawdown that is the killer for most. Thanks for the data. In fact a simple breakout strategy on GU in line with what you are suggesting Avonko do is around a 50/50 shot as its one of the parameters that I record on a daily basis

Oh, I’m sorry I meant Avonko’s website of course :wink:

Wow, JW and the Avonko website seem to have a pretty similar track record. It seems to be a daily channel strategy but there seems to be no postings for at least a block of days in February. Geee, I wonder what happened during that time :rolleyes:

I received an email from Bryce on behalf of Avonko suggesting I do not use the system for the next ten days as it was supposed to be a volatile period. Even being conservative, the ten days are up, so I will be posting again soon, and there are no news days this week outside of what already happened on Monday with the home sales report for the USD.

Not sure why SM01 4 yr review of the system has been withdrawn. Assuming that he didnt discover a flaw in his data it would suggest that the drawdowns are extreme and profitability as a function of risk inadequate

Tony, I removed it because the mod edited the post, in particular to the reference to the backtest I was analyzing, which made the post hard to follow, and in particular the points I was making regarding the shortcomings of the published backtest. I respect the forum rules, but I just don’t like my stuff being edited so I deleted it. The data I presented in that original post was correct.

Yeah thanks for that. Sometimes the rationale for the editing here on bpips is difficult to follow. I thought your post was very informative not only regarding this technique but as a demonstration of the sort of work needed to begin to get to grips with a method. All too often you see someone respond to a system with ‘great post’ and their next question shows they haven’t understood the first thing about it. For those interested the first Asian hL breakout for this month using a 60 SMA stop and 1R take profit has yielded 8-10. As for the ‘by the way folks not been trading for the last 10 days and didnt tell you’ well you can draw your own conclusions. You can also consider the degree to which anyone could pick in advance a 10 day moratorium because of ‘volatility’- the lifeblood and key profit driver for technical analysts. The HL score for the last 10 dys incidentally is 4-6

Rriiiiight, so did everyone who purchased Avonko receive an email about this ‘very volatile period’ or was it just you?

This morning’s trade:

2008.2.27 09:09 buy gbpusd @ 1.9942
s/l 2008.2.27 10:09 sell gbpusd @ 1.9912

2008.2.27 14:46 sell gbpusd @ 1.9841
s/l 2008.2.27 15:23 buy gbpusd @ 1.9871

4.0 lots
Total profit: -$600.00 USD

Bal: 6500.00USD, +150NET

And in response to the suggestion that I post the trades before they close out, I would love to do that… except the EA trades overnight and initiates the buystop and sellstop orders at 2AM my time.

This would be a double whammy, as I’d be staying up much later than I like to in order to give you all free indicators from a system that I paid for.

Where’s the logic in that one?

jwilliamson - I believe you man, and I don’t doubt the results you’ve been getting. You just have to realize that a lot of us on this forum, especially in the newbie section see people drop in every other week with some new “holy grail” that never looses and is always on the right side of the market. So forgive some of us for being a bit negative.

I still stand behind the need for you to actually learn how to trade because there will be a point somewhere in the future where your system provider ceases to exist, your platform undergoes a change that affects your ability for your EA to work, the markets shift their patterns of behavior, something will happen. And then where will you be? Looking for the next “system” to do your trading for you.

I’m not trying to bash you, i’m happy for your success, but don’t rely on your EA too much. 20 years from now will you still be able to use it? No… so looking forward, what are you going to do then?

Good Luck!

It is odd, all your profits are 15 pips exactly if you are trading standard lots?

Your system liquidates after 15 pips? It just seems strange that everyday is the same multiple of 15 pips a contract.

15 pips aint exactly that many. I dont trade anywhere near 100 000 units, but I can do much more than 15 pips a day. Maybe because I am dealing with mini-contracts, but I would not be happy making 15 pips a day, especially if you are risking 30 pips in capital each throw which is twice the 15pips/day profit you are recording.

Oh wait, you are risking now about 39 pips a throw if you are still stop loss at 6% of your total bankroll (6500, now)… If I was risking 39 pips a throw, I would be looking for an upside of at least 80 pips.

But what do I know, I am just a noob.

I understand completely, and I’m definitely trying to learn how to trade. But for my part, I’m using this right now just to make money, and I’m trying more to learn how to trade futures and options, not currency just yet.

And I’m really not concerned if people don’t believe me or think I’m promoting the system, it doesn’t bother me. All I’m doing is posting my results so that others can see what it’s like. And hopefully they can use my experience to determine which types of news event days are right to avoid trading with an EA like this one.

I put this money on the line knowing I had a chance of losing it. If I’ve been lucky so far, so be it. But I’m glad I took the step I did and I have no problem ignoring all those with a bad taste for comments!

Thank you