Luck or skill?

In my first years of trading I relied mostly on luck as my trading system and my strategy. And at that point luck really was a determination that whether I won or lose. But right now, after seven years of trading, I understand that trading has little something to do with luck. It’s all about skill. It’s all about how we analyze, plan and execute our trades. And when we are in a trade, how disciplined we stay if something doesn’t go in our way.

Quite possible why? cos I have a friend who is trading forex and who dose not understand technical analysis candlestick and is profitable, keeps hes secret to him self but hes friend revealed it to me and said that he picks up tops and buttoms looks at line chart to identify the lowest price range and buys and vice versa, GBPLN EURPLN and USDPLN hes been trading for 5 years and has account of around £40k.

Many beginners think that luck can change their trade into profitable trade and they can earn but it is not true in Forex.

You are right @krisslocmelis role of luck is very small in trading it is all about our skills, efforts, patience and experience.

1 Like

Luck might affect your trades but only in a very limited way. To rely on luck to navigate through forex markets is foolish. Use your logic, reason and brains. Those are the only things you can rely on. Be thankful for the few lucky streaks you get but don’t get carried away by it. It’s all about your strategies and skills

This is a very good example of good trading psychology. If Michael doesn’t use technical or fundamental analysis, I would say that hasn’t been able to read any trading books. If he is just trading purely on gut feeling, his technique is like gambling. I think he hasn’t encountered any big losses yet as losses really make every trader change his perception about his trading edges. But if he has been able to win 149 trades and manages to get only 1 loss in 8 months, I think his system is really good and he should not make any changes on his trading system. I think he has a good trading discipline that why he has managed to get his account on the positive side for months now. I hope that he has good money management skills as this will make his trading live longer.

still a never-ending supply of new posters not realising that this was a marketing thread? or do people just not read the thread before replying?

Luck will help you at once and it never remains. Mostly people depends on luck which is a very foolish thing. Skills remains with you at every part of your life. I am against the luck because luck is only for those who have the ability to change their luck.

Who is very lucky to win every trade he placed in the Forex market? Is there anyone? :slight_smile:

There is no one in this market place who can win by every trade; even professional trader can’t do this.

knowledge and skill combined are more dependable than luck. At least you can fall back on your skills to get you through forex trading’s ups and downs. Luck is not something under your control

Skills are more useful than luck. Luck never remains with you forever. The only thing which remains with you permanently is your skill. You should never based yourself on luck if you are doing trade or anything else. With the help of skills and knowledge you should have the ability to change your luck.

1 Like

No matter how skillful you are, no one can beat Luck .

luck is when preparation meets opportunity, opportunity arrives when you are skilled enough to take advantage of it

1 Like

Does a surgeon use luck or skill to operate? Now luck will on a very small scale come into play with unforeseen complexity but their results are largely influenced by their skill in the trade. If you liken this to trading, 1st thing is learning how to trade. Many newbies try to invent their own approaches… Do surgeons do this? If they did would you trust them with your life? Learn basic and advanced theory to the markets including Macro-economics. Once you have your base, then you can make it your own and go from good to Great. Speaking as someone who has learned this stuff the hard way

1 Like

Well said @CrisValenciana. Skill usually trumps luck and is more reliable

Hahaha…I don’t think there’d be any such person. Losing is an inherent component of trading.

Of course you can not bring luck forcely it comes or not it is not definite. When you had valuable skill of trading nothing can beat you . You will struggle with cause can come out of dangers easily. Specially your each step towards trading will show your ability as well as you will somehow lucky trader.

Luck or skill? in my opinion, both also have connected, skill will help much in get luck in trading, but still without luck also sometime still facing with failure, because trend market is very dynamic movement in addition as retail trader which only can trading with follow the market and can`t make price being move, so if trader having improve their skill, I think will always close to their luck

Agree! you can not bring luck forcefully but skills can be learned. so its better not to depend on luck and learn as much as you can.

Luck will be not with you always but no one can seize your knowledge from you.