MT4 Trailing Stops and switching accounts

Quick question.

Say I have MT4 open and have a few differant accounts in MT4 as I like to keep differant strategies under differant accounts.

And I set a trailing stop for account a, but then change accounts within mt4 to account b.

Will the trailing stop in account a still be triggered even though I am in account b?
I think when you change accounts within MT4 you get logged out of the account, so maybe the trailing stop wont go through unless you stay logged into the particular account?

MT4 will be open throughout, just switching accounts throughout the day.

Thanks

The reason you set stops is to protect you from a huge loss whilst you are not there. Your stop will stay where you put it and will still work.

Thanks for the reply. It was related to trailing stops that I want to set, not normal stop loss

Hi @Olly330 and @Falstaff

Trailing Stop works in the client terminal, not in the server (like Stop Loss or Take Profit). This is why it will not work, unlike [Stop Loss or Take Profit], if the terminal is off. In this case, only the Stop Loss level will trigger that has been set by trailing stop.

source: Trailing Stop - Trading - MetaTrader 4 Help

Therefore, if you want to have your Trailing Stop work even if your platform is not logged into the account in question, you must either run MT4 on a virtual private server (VPS) or use a different trading platform that offers server side trailing stop functionality. As we pointed out the other day, one platform can’t please everyone.

Thanks.

So to be clear:

MT4 is running.
I have 2 accounts in MT4.

I set a trailing stop in account A.
But I log into account B and stay in account B.

So the trailing stop for account A wont be triggered even though MT4 is still running, albeit in a differant account?

Correct, MT4 trailing stops require you to remain logged into the account in question.

1 Like

@FOREX.com - Thanks for that :relaxed:

1 Like

What you can do is to simply install MT4 one more time in a different folder, so that you can run the terminal 2 times simultaneously. Thus you won’t have to log out from account A to log into account B = your TS will remain active on your both strategies. You can do that also with more than 2 platforms if your PC is strong enough :wink:

1 Like