My article on trading a NZD/JPY long-term reversal to the downside

The central bankers of the world are going to always err on the side of easy monetary policy. It is far more politically tolerable to push on a string than to have the dog end his run with a solid yank of the leash. Nothing is feared more, nor will precipitate more desperate actions than “deflation” (defined as a fall in the CPI). From the CPI-down-bad-CPI-up-good point of view: 2014 was the best year in more than a decade for Japan. The good marks for Abenomics coupled with fear that any cessation of easing could bring about new rounds of CPI decline will undoubtedly keep the hawks in a political hotseat. Plus, Mr. Abe’s power to maintain easing is looking like it may increase. So the current primary downward trend for the Yen remains in swing and I don’t think that one year with a positive CPI changes the fundamentals.

All that said, we all know what happens when governments distort asset allocation for large developed economies through monetary expansion: “I ain’t never seen so much green than when I seen when my team hit the scene.” “Bout Ta’ Bubble”. The current global asset bubbles will ultimately lose buoyancy and the flight to cash will put the Yen back in black. I just hope it happens over a long enough duration under conditions of liquidity whereby I can trade accordingly and profit.

The above shix was written under the condition of sobriety so don’t give it too much credit.

Thank you for that insightful post, Arbitrager, as well as for liking my Twitter post!

This week has not been very purposeful for direction, thus far, so I stepped out on to the bigger picture for NZD/JPY, for

example, and by looking at the monthly chart in a similar way as I was looking at it when writing the article that is at

the basis of this entire thread, I found that we are indeed at a technical turning point - the fundamentals are somewhat

murkier…

As you can see in the above chart, tracking about thirteen years of price history for NZD/JPY, the monthly candles

form a wave pattern (not an Elliott wave, just a wave (up, then down, then back up) within two equidistant channels:

each channel, top to bottom, spans about 2,500 pips… We are currently testing (for the second time) the top of the

lower channel, and it held solidly in January… We seem to have a three-candlestick reversal pattern forming

(on the above monthly chart) during November, December, and January, which suggests that in spite of the (so far)

bullish momentum this month, it is risky going long here.

The best approach for me would be to wait for confirmation and to go short then… I am short on my demo but

staying out of trading this on the live account until it resumes the down-trend.

Fundamentally, this pair is ‘murky’ because risk trends at the moment are iffy… There is a lot of talk of a breakdown,

or, as Arbitrager says, ‘Bout Ta’ Bubble’: the S&P500 looks shaky, the DAX has been rocked by the renewed EU crisis,

central banks are holding back any rate hike (nobody wants to be the first and get shot down in this currency war),

and crude oil profits have gone down the pan… ‘Carry’ trade looks really risky and there is a sense that investors

are looking for returns elsewhere… I could be wrong, but that technical ‘ceiling’ on the NZD/JPY channel looks significant

because it tells of investors’ fears of pushing something that will not be pushed…

Ten months on, we are back to that 88.00 level…

NZD/JPY touched a new 10 day high in this session but came just pips shy of hitting my stop (as of 16:50 GMT). So for the time being I am still short after seeing this short trade go to 445 pips positive and now back to 2 pips negative with no LSD since the 3rd. The chances are that I will be stopped out by end of day with a loss of about 5 pips or so. At just 25 pips below the MDMA it is possible we could see it roll on the MDMA to the upside. If that is the case, this arbitrager on acid will be toking up for some THC.

And there it went…

My stop was hit and I got out with 16 basis points lost including swap costs. My initial risk was 1.1%. So my trade was a -.145R trade. I could get away with a lot of those and stay alive that is for sure (7 losses like that in a row would lose me just over 1%). I guess my psilocybin is still working.

So next… If it rolls over the MDMA, I am going long. If not, I will get back short with the next break below the 3-day price range to look for the LSD.

We are still 450 pips below the 4 week high so you are right about this being MURKY.

On my weekly chart NJ is consolidating from a brutal bearish move with three black crows. The consolidation starts with a bullish engulfing last week surging from SMA200 support.

I am still long term bearish on that pair. We are straight at the 50 fib level of the bearish move as a resistance, and it is on my watch-list.

NZD/JPY almost struck a new 3-day low to end that upward swing in the Friday sesh. I didn’t get filled to go long because it didn’t trade higher than the Thursday high. This could shape up to be a bounce off of the 200-day ma to the south.

well Thursday daily candle is a hanging man. It is supposed to have bearish implication. I still think bearish on that one.

The new high in this last session got me in long. Where will it end? Are we going to 94.00 above the Dec 5 high??? We shall see…

Hello everyone! I was on holiday… I got back and my (demo) Kiwi-Yen short was finally stopped out at -418 pips. It seems that the pair has broken above the 200 moving average, on the daily chart, but risk trends are shaky and the S&P500 is snaking around like it was on speed, so I am looking for signs from anywhere in the market (e.g. Dollar-Yen) for investors’ fear… If the USD/JPY should have a tumble, then so will our pair (NZD/JPY)…

The break above the 200-day moving average is significant, but there is also the BoJ monetary policy statement coming up in two days (19th Feb.), and I have been waiting for this as the next possible catalyst.

Good day, everyone…

Woah. It looks like NZD/JPY will have a high of at least 90.11 today. So resistance to the MDMA was certainly overcome and THC is kicking in.

Yeah it broke the resistances I thought would contain it on my chart So I will buy pull back to those levels, but I still believe it will reverse somewhere between 90 and 92,25.

Morning, all!

Finally, some early signs of potential return to the downtrend?

NZD/USD attempts to break the 75 level after the Frankfurt open:

Maybe I spoke too soon…

That pullback was expected after the big drop, but it may continue lower.

Hello traders! Finally, the NZD had a break to the downside, following the release at 2am of the Inflation Expectation figures: this saw a drop from over 2% previously to just 1%, QoQ…

The drop, of more than fifty pips, was unilateral for both NZD/USD and NZD/JPY, both breaking levels around which they had been flirting for days, without conviction, namely 75.00 and 89.00, respectively:

One hour to go:

CWM FX[nzd]-important-economic-event–new-zealand-rbnz-gov-wheeler-speaks-329434.htm

I am still long but it is just chilling. With the ten day low having moved upward at the end of this last session I have just 55 basis points left in risk on this trade that is going nowhere for now. The swap is positive so I am OK to sweat it out.

May the forx be with you.

Hey Arbitrager, good luck with your trades!

Governor Wheeler testified, but said very little:
Dollar gains as Yellen testimony leaves open prospect for lower rates | The National Business Review

What made the NZD rise was the Chinese upgraded growth figure of 50.1 (nothing huge).

Meh.

Hello traders!

FINALLY, thanks to the NFP crushing expectations and providing a strong rally for the USD,

the NZD/USD collapsed by more than one hundred and thirty (130) pips in the last hour and a half,

not only breaking the much-flirted with 0.75 level, to which it had stuck for the last two weeks, but

also breaking the next level down (0.74)…

In turn, NZD/JPY also followed, finally abandoning its 0.90 level obsession and running down in

tandem with the NZD/USD move…

Here is the five-minute (5m) chart for the NZD/USD: