Proposed CFTC Leverage Change to 10-1 for all US Brokers

Jail time? What type of dreams are you dreaming?

And I did not say, lay on your back and play dead.
Write your letters, I did and all of my friends did.

Now, having said that… it is a waste of our energy.

So you are saying, write letters and hope that they
won’t do this thing? Good luck!

Better advice to give is to close US based accounts
and go to UK or Switzerland. Telling people to
write letters and hope for the best is an ill advised
notion. It really is. Now, it is not that hard to
write off an email. But then again, how difficult is it
to open an account in UK or Switzerland?

Uh, maybe it might take you 10 minutes to
fill out the application.

And who will get them in serious trouble? Congress?
I am sure Congress is applauding their efforts.
As we have all seen, they are all clamoring to
kill all form of leveraging altogether.

Their retard job is to regulate crooked behavior…
not rewrite the very nature of financial investments.
But I really expect nothing great from our retard
regulators… much less our useless government.

I agree with you.

Not even writing a letter and at least showing your oppostion to their moves and just trading with a broker in a different country, is pretty much playing dead. Besides, with their regulations, they can and probably will, make it impossible for someone from the U.S. to trade with non U.S. based broker. Especially, if their aim is to force the bulk of US retail forex traders into other instruments.

I think you are underestimating the power of people who vote the people into goverment. Just look at what happened to obama’s administration. They had all the power to do just what they wanted. Now that a ton of people dont like what he’s trying to do, the democrats lost seats and their majority. A large part of America now views Obama as a communist in democrats clothing, and healthcare reform as nothing but a goverment power grab. Unless there is some HUGE miracle economic recovery there is no way he’s getting back into office.

My point is that enough people complained about him and pointed out his anti american anti capitolist agenda’s, that he’s going to be voted out. And now everything he and his administration does is carefully watched.

Regardless if it goes through or not, because I can trade at 10:1, I’d rather not have my account sitting in a country foreign to my own. Even if they are a good company, nothing I can do about if they decide to just screw me over and not release my funds or something of that nature. At least with U.S. based country I could hire a lawyer and make it more affordable for them just to give me my money. Or, if I was really bat !@#$ drive up to their office.

Very interesting to read some of the comments posted on the cftc’s site in response to this proposal.
cftc.gov/lawandregulation/federalregister/federalregistercomments/2010/10-001.html
The notes during a meeting with forex dealers mirrors a lot of the concerns posted here.
cftc.gov/ucm/groups/public/@lrfederalregister/documents/frcomment/10-001b001.pdf

“Regardless if it goes through or not, because I can trade at 10:1, I’d rather not have my account sitting in a country foreign to my own. Even if they are a good company, nothing I can do about if they decide to just screw me over and not release my funds or something of that nature. At least with U.S. based country I could hire a lawyer and make it more affordable for them just to give me my money. Or, if I was really bat !@#$ drive up to their office.”

Wait a minute… are you saying a company located in your
own country cannot screw you and not release funds to
you? Especially if they themselves are being screwed
over by the government and useless regulatory bodies?
I recommend to every serious trader to go to Dukascopy.
Again, the smart thing to do is close US based accounts
and go elsewhere. All serious traders moved as soon as
anti-hedge became reality. If you care about others, give
prudent advice, not your pigheaded belief based nonsense.

The smart thing to do is close your US based accounts
now! Because more BS regulation is on the way.
Trust me!!! Do it now before US regulators make it
illegal for you to even open an offshore trading account.
Well, then the next step for me would be to move to
UK or Switzerland or even Australia. Even Japan would
be better than this twitch regulation going on in US.

LOL, Dukascopy, now I see, you are just schilling for those scammers, they have an awful reputation.

It takes two seconds to email CFTC about this. They are listening and this fight CAN be won.

Email <[email protected]> and tell them to keep their paws off our leverage. 7,000 comments have been received to date.

7,000 comments is an astounding number.

To show just how unprecedented this number is, last year the CFTC published some 17 rule proposals in the federal register. The number of comment letters received for all 17 proposals [B]combined[/B] was only 220. In 2007 and 2008, comments for all CFTC register proposals totaled less than 250. This year the CFTC also released another rule proposal, regarding energy speculation limits given much more coverage in the media. Yet only 22 people have bothered to comment on those limits. Compare this to nearly 7,000 comments received for the forex proposal.

Right, please do email them. And your congressmen as well. Fifty people writing letters have more of an impact than Five million people stewing silently at their computers. :wink:

As all of you know the leverage is like a sword it cuts both ways. In a perfect world they would allow leverage to all experienced traders which can actually prove their experience and turn down the leverage for the beginners (every broker would have to do due diligent to figure out who is experienced and who is not, not like it was done in the past: currently and in the past all you need to do is fill in the number of years of experience and then you can trade any product that you wish) but we don’t live in a perfect world.

That’s true. And inexperienced (but smart) traders learn quickly and adjust their style and leverage until they can become profitable. The stupid ones rapidly plow through their initial investment and jump ship.

Perhaps it would be easier to implement a graduated leverage system based on how long the client has maintained an active account with a specific broker instead of requiring excessive due diligence or client-reported numbers that may or may not mean anything. That way, the ‘new accounts’ (presumed inexperienced) are more restricted (and “safer”), and the 'old accounts (presumed experienced) have the greater leverage flexibility if they wish to utilize it.

Win-Win.

Editfish

Gensler got grilled at a Congressional hearing this morning about 10:1 leverage. Congress does not support this.

“I am pleased that the CFTC Chairman acknowledged our concerns and appeared open to changes to the leverage requirement,” Boswell said. “The CFTC has received over 5,600 comments on the foreign exchange proposed rule and I am hopeful that this input will help the Commission to find a common ground that won’t chase business overseas, while still protecting consumer interests.”

Our comment letters are making a difference. Email <[email protected]> today and let’s win this thing!!!

Awesome. Pleased to see that my senator is on the committee that grilled him, and that I had written him a few days ago. :rolleyes:

The March issue of Currency Trader magazine has a 1-page article on the current CFTC proposal to limit retail forex leverage.
I have copied and pasted the article, because I was not able to attach the entire magazine as a .pdf file.

Currency Trader magazine is a free e-magazine, distributed by email to subscribers.

If you don’t already subscribe, you can sign up here: Currency Trader Magazine: Welcome

Forex traders voice their opinions

Don’t punish us for the sins of others, forex traders argue.

BY CURRENCY TRADER STAFF

As of March 1, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s (CFTC) “request for comment” regarding its proposed 10:1 cap on forex leverage triggered more than 5,700 responses, virtually all from private traders and forex industry professionals irate about what they see as an unnecessary and intrusive regulation.

Although many responders voiced a concern the CFTC’s move would drive business out of the U.S. and eliminate American jobs at a time when unemployment is around 10 percent, the primary theme running through the responses appeared to be: “Our risk is our business, not yours — butt out.”

“Please leave well enough alone,” Nancy Cunningham wrote. “The proposed limitation will shut down legitimate, knowledgeable traders with small accounts. Ultimately, limiting leverage in the forex [market] will not protect the gamblers and the people who are fools with their money. The gamblers will continue to gamble; they’ll just do it elsewhere. And fools will still lose money, but somewhere else, like the pink sheets.”

Hugh Kimura sounded a similar note. “I realize the CFTC’s intent is to try to protect retail traders from using excessive leverage, but the truth is that even with no leverage (like in the stock market), traders who do not use proper money management will still lose money,” he wrote. “It is like any other dangerous activity. I believe that proper disclosures should be in place, but we should be free to make our own personal decisions to engage in that activity or not.”

Thomas Torti also argued that any potential investor protection would come at the expense of responsible traders.

“While the intent is admirable, if this is implemented, the result would hurt the consumer,” he wrote. “The problem with most small investors is they lack the knowledge to invest correctly. Most small investors are not willing to do their due diligence and put in the thousands and thousands of hours of work to learn how to invest. The result is they eventually lose their investment no matter what the leverage. A good example of this is the number of people who have lost thousands and thousands of dollars in their 401(k) plans, traditionally one of the so-called safer investments.”

Others suggested the CFTC consider a less drastic leverage reduction (e.g., 50:1), while one Barton Varney advocated an incremental approach.

“If your goal is to reduce risk, why not take a less punitive route?” he asked. “Change your computation ratio: for every 10,000 units of currency, reduce [leverage] by 10 — i.e., 100:1, then 90:1, then 80:1, etc. By the time one reaches 100,000 units, the ratio is 10:1. This way capital is increased proportionally as risk goes up. This gives retail traders a reasonably level playing field with the wealthy.”

The CFTC’s proposed cap would give retail forex traders less leverage than is typically available in the currency futures market (approximately 25:1 to 40:1 depending on the currency). Many forex industry professionals have argued the leverage reduction would put the U.S. industry at a competitive disadvantage to non-U.S. forex brokers offering 100:1 or higher leverage, and that theme was also evident in the responses.

“It seems apparent to me that the motives of this regulation are to disable the off-exchange retail foreign exchange markets, prevent participation by United States citizens, and attempt to move them to exchanges such as the CME,” wrote Mark Matzeldelaflor, who concluded his comments with “I am a United States citizen and I approved this message!”

The comment period closes March 20.

When they say retail forex traders in the US, do they mean if you use companies located in the US or any resident of the US? I have a fx account with a foreign bank, will I still be able to utilize 100:1 leverage even if this rule goes through?

Hi, pacman

As it stands now, the CFTC proposal to limit leverage to 10:1 applies only to U.S.-domiciled brokers. All customers of those U.S. brokers, regardless of where they live, would be limited to 10:1 leverage, because those brokers would not be allowed to offer more than that.

[B]The CFTC proposed leverage limit does not extend to foreign brokers (defined as those domiciled outside the U.S.),
nor does it affect the customers of those foreign brokers, even if they live in the U.S.[/B]

The U.S. government requires U.S. citizens and legal residents to report foreign accounts on their tax returns. But (so far, at least), the government cannot tell you what kind of foreign financial accounts you can have.

Example:

If you have a forex account with FXCM (US), and the CFTC proposal to limit leverage goes into effect, the limit will apply to you.

If, however, your account is with FXCM (UK), the limit will not apply to you, because FXCM (UK) is a separate company, domiciled in the U.K. and regulated by the British Financial Services Authority (not the CFTC, NFA, or any other U.S. regulator).

Check out this article in the Wall Street Journal where a CFTC Commissioner says they have been overwhelmed with trader comments:

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

“The proposal in its entirety is intended to allow us to get on with our job of protecting customers and ensuring the financial integrity of firms engaging in retail forex transactions,” said Bart Chilton, a CFTC commissioner. He said the comments from the public—largely centering on the leverage proposal—have come down on the agency “like a winter blizzard,” noting that it was more than at any time in the agency’s history.

I think if the CFTC wants to do something with respect to protecting consumers, they could focus instead on eliminating the “50K demo accounts” that retail forex brokers plaster all over the web. I mean who doesn’t get the impression they’re good at trading with that kind of illusion, and then find out reality later after losing their bankroll which probably sure wasn’t $50K …:frowning:

Please, i’ve got this questions on my mind-- how do I let my forex broker know how much leverage I want to use in a particular trade? Can the leverage I use for different trades differ? If so, how?.. Because I don’t see anywhere in my platform where my broker asks me how much leverage I want to use for the trades I make. Thanks

The leverage is usually established when you first create your account with a broker. No you can’t change the leverage on a trade by trade basis unless you use different accounts for each trade.

:slight_smile: