Realistic monthly returns for a Forex trader?

Dream on!
15% a year is more than double what many pros make

Really???

I donā€™t have any % target, when I see a setup I trade, no matter what pair, no matter what time, no matter what news. I donā€™t have any weekly or monthly targets as well. These all things are extra burden on a traderā€™s mind. Keep it simple. BTW a trading plan is must.

So many pros make less than 7.5%??

Quite a lot make [I][U]losses[/U][/I]: one needs only to look at the published annual returns of professionally-managed investment trusts, to see that.

Agreed, Lexy.

This topic has been covered to deathā€¦

Yet again, let me post the Barclay Hedge Fund Index, to show what the top hedge fund firms have

been making for the last few yearsā€¦ Look at those average yearly returns for 2014: LESS THAN 3%.

Barclay Hedge Fund Index | BarclayHedge, Ltd.

So if anyone thinks that they can get rich quicker than the top hedge funds, wellā€¦

do you need it spelled out?

:slight_smile:

Stop with the success barriers. Donā€™t rationalize your little successes that bigger gains canā€™t be achieved. ;D

But seriously though. Do you know how much money do these professionals and hedge fund managers trade with? Even that couple % of profits are millions of dollars. They are not risking 1-2% on a trade, they could be risking like 0,1% or maybe even less. It is still hard for them to get their position taken, because of the amount.

Guys in the trading group Iā€™m in, including myself, are making 5-25% a month continously, with risking 1-2% of equity on a trade. Obviously summer months are closer to the 5%, and the best months are closer to 20-25%.

Iā€™m fully against these quick rich ideas in forex, like doubling your account every month and stuff. You definitely need proper capitalization, a good strategy with edge and proper mindset to be successful.

You CAN make 10-15-20% monthly on forex. But will you? That is a different question.

Thank you , Darastoniusā€¦

It is definitely not about demoralising ambitionā€¦

If a kid said to her/his parents: ā€œWhen I grow up I want to be an astronautā€, then why should they

discourage her/him?

However, how many people make the selection?

Having said that, it is not impossible to achieve ā€˜higherā€™ yearly average in forex (or any other asset class),

but, as you say, those hedge funds start with a lot of capital behind, so they do not need to leverage

their way to crazy amountsā€¦ So for the little trader with less than, say, 1,000 Pounds/Dollars/Yen etc.

it will take a LOT OF MATURITY to accept that they MUST NOT OVER-LEVERAGE their account and also

accept that they are not going to become millionaires, possibly not next year, not in a decade, or maybe

not ever. That is where the problem of all these threads begins, where people just want to be fed the

dream of untold fortunes. Eventually, some people will make good returns, but even a 20% yearly return

on an initial capital of !,000 would take the latter up to 1,200, so there is still no millionaire status there

haha

Seriously, I am done.

Lunch: potato and fennel soupā€¦

Now, THAT is like a taste of gold :wink:

He said with a weary a sigh exiting the room filled with the shards of shattered ā€œLambo dreamsā€ belonging to distraught newbies he advises :31:

Sorry pip but you gave me an openingā€¦ so i took it :slight_smile:

Haha

That was funnyā€¦

ā€˜Lambo dreamsā€™ haha

Qualityā€¦

Donā€™t look now, but I heard a rumour that Lamborghini is now owned by the Volkswagen Group, through its subsidiary brand Audi. That, and you canā€™t drive them over speed-bumps without needing a whole new exhaust system for about Ā£3,000 ā€¦ Iā€™m ā€œjust sayingā€ ā€¦ :8:

A realistic monthly return to a retail trader is 5 - 8%. If anything comes higher than this, then its risky trading. A good system can bring you this realistic percentage of profits on your trading account.

Haha xx ooops

My stand on this is to be internally motivated yourself,regardless the returns,but realistically as a day trader or part time you need money coming ad going in, 3- 5% should be okay(average) 10 - 30% for a good account with a good strategy .It all ends down with the traders attitude.

Merlin Rothfeld and Tim Pessut setting the record straight on newbie/trader expectations, answering my question live

on air last night - watch it from 19ā€™08ā€™ā€™ !!

Power Trading Radio Video Archives | Tuesday, August 11, 2015

In my experience if we trade with rules and risk management we can get 10% to 15% realistic profit . May be some move give us high profit once or twice in a month . We can not get same success daily. I am happy with this much profit. it is enough for an average trader.

In FX it is possible to make 100% monthly or more. The hard part is to keep up that kind of performance on a consistent basis while keeping the risk relatively low. It is almost impossible but it can be done. More realistic target would be 5-10% monthly return on average. It also depends how much a trader is willing to risk, bigger risk bigger reward.
In any case, the most important thing is to be consistently profitable. Anyone can make 10-15% one month or maybe even few months in a row but the question is if you can do it each month without suffering large DD.

Far not anyone, I think:)

The only realistic expectation is to expect to lose in year 1.
If you can break even or make a small profit, well done, youā€™ve bucked the trend

Better small, but steady. 5% sounds good to me, if invested amount is not a 100 bucks, of course :15: