Stop loss pretection

It’s really hard to know the time of a news-release, so you may face volatility and thus slippage in any time.
That’s the problem most traders face with.

Can someone explain how a slip like that can happen?
I mean if I have an entry for say $1.05 buy, and the currency is running at $1.50. and someone else has a sell entry for 1.05 does it get order get filled? BANG the currency is suddenly worth 1.05?

Can anyone explain what I am missing from this equation?

Its true but besides news stop loss should be used always. It is a necessary aspect in forex trading for your long term survival in the market.

Have you worked your way thru pipschool? This and much more is explained there

For the major economic events/news you can find out through economic calendar or through television such us bloomberg

I have seen many instances of traders closing all positions as we go into a news event only for the market reaction to be virtually nothing. I have also seen many instances wherein a sudden surprise event rocked the markets. My conclusion: an event calendar is useless in making profitable decisions about whether to be in a market or not. This is why I don’t like strategies that require an accurate decision about whether to be in or out of a market for given calendar events: nobody can actually make such accurate decisions.

-Adrian

You are right but there are people doing it and it is their strategy i suppose and in order to avoid slippage good or bad it is a solution isn’t ?

It does NOT decrease slippage without also decreasing profit opportunities. Thus, traders utilizing such tactics take bigger losses on bigger positions because they need bigger positions to make up for the lost opportunities.

-Adrian

I hope to look at this today. I have a feeling that this is not going to fix a big slip against you at a news event or swap, it is only when placing an order? otherwise, this is a fix? :slight_smile: thanks. either the order doesn’t fill or the stoploss doesn’t execute???

Trading Risks, Forex Execution Risks for Dealing Desk, NDD - FXCM

"
FXCM provides a number of basic and advanced order types to help clients mitigate execution risk. One way to mitigate the risk associated with slippage is to utilize the Market Range (Max Deviation for MT4 users) feature on FXCM’s Platforms. The Market Range feature allows traders to specify the amount of potential slippage they are willing to accept on a market order by defining a range. Zero indicates that no slippage is permitted. By selecting zero on the Market Range, the trader is requesting his order to be executed only at the selected or quoted price, not any other price. Traders may elect to accept a wider range of permissible slippage to raise the probability of having their order(s) executed. In this scenario the order will be filled at the best price available within the specified range. For instance, a client may indicate that he is willing to be filled within 2 pips of his requested order price. The system would then fill the client within the acceptable range (in this instance, 2 pips) if sufficient liquidity exists. If the order cannot be filled within the specified range, the order will not be filled. Please note, Market Range orders specify a negative range only. If a more preferential rate is available at the time of execution traders are not limited by the specified range for the amount of positive price improvement they can receive.

Additionally, when triggered, stop orders become a market order available for execution at the next available market price. Stop orders guarantee execution but do not guarantee a particular price.

To view more information regarding order types at FXCM, please visit: How Forex Market Orders Execute - FXCM
"

Stop loss is very important to use. If you won’t set a stop loss in your trades, then you will expose your entire account equity to the market which is very dangerous for several reasons.

Stop loss is a very important tool in forex trading it should be fully utilised by the new trader who are mot much aware about the market shifts, it will prevent your investment from getting eroded away when the market is turbulent.

Remember that the majority of traders lose money and they all live by that rule (Have SL ) but there is also the traders that average up/down …

Stop Loss is very important to use but it is not the only one risk management system which can be used by traders to minimize loss. Traders can use cut loss, averaging, martiangle, hedging, and any other method to minimize loss. The most important is preparing risk management in order to prevent big loss. But the easiest way is using stop loss especially for traders who can’t stay in front of chart for long time. And also, setting stop loss must be placed in the right price so it won’t be hitted many times.