Supply/Demand, VSA, Wyckoff with Petefader

I hope it is not forbidden here to play a little quiz.

What do you think guys about this? Where the price will move? Any idea with explanation?

How is the market able to move up again in the above chart at point 6 and onwards, after the heavy selling by big money at point 3?

I only try to answer this but notice I am a newbie.

Smart money monitors the market all the time and make their decisions based on the market movement. At point 2 they were already bearish. Then they made an upthrust to stop out sellers (who also discovered that the market is weak) and sucked up buyers. They got a lot of money. Then market conditions showed that lower prices were impossible so they finished to sell. Smart money swim with the market all the time and they have an advantage to know before anybody else what is the right direction. The market moves whereever it wants to. Smart money cannot manipulate it all the time.

Who knows? :slight_smile: I think we have a bullish tendency, but whether we see re-accumulation or distribution will be visible when price tests the area of that upthrust.

First we see ultrahighVol on sellClimax, stoppVol. Price goes into range (accumulation) and then shakeout/ successful-test with a following markup and an easy rally. Then the upthrust (ā€˜hiddenā€™ UT I suppose, with that doji in between), but it is on relatiely low volume. The low vol is also due to the time of day, but even on a similar time of day in two prior instances we had very similar volume: first within accumulation and the second time as price was pushing through resistance. So if the UT is genuine, I expect higher volume. When price falls after the UT we get steadily higher volume on narrow spread, which looks like accumulation. The main reason why I suspect re-accumulation is the relatively low volume at the peak.

@Tehmac: Iā€™m a newbie, so I hope I get this right. The pins on bars on/around bar 7 show wicks on relatively low volume within an area that was defined by the pin on bar 3. The low volume here is an indication of exhausted selling pressure. The pin on bar3 definbes the area where resistance is tested, and it is now tested on low vol, which means little remaining supply in this case. The vol increases as price goes into markup and breaks resistance.

Whe you originally gave me this answer Pete my chin went down a bit cos I donā€™t have MT4. I trade a micro account, ( just a newbie, started with $400 in May, tanked it down to $43 in no time, since end of May Iā€™ve traded it back up to current $140 )

Anyway, just worked out how to get tick volume on to my charts and started reading your original thread first.

Just thought Iā€™d say thanks.

HoG

I donā€™t know what broker you use but you could download IBFX MT4 platform and open a demo account and use it for Volume instead. As Pete mentioned earlier in the thread this broker is good for Volume. You can still execute your trades with your current broker, just use the volume on the other. Iā€™ve used their Volume for a while and itā€™s one of the best Iā€™ve tried so far. Just thought Iā€™d tell you :slight_smile:

Thanks, it makes perfect sense. I was always wondering how to determine if there is gonna be another leg up. Now I see. I agree that my trade was risky and I got lucky. Next time I will wait for the down move to start first. :13:

Something else is also confusing me. You talk a lot about low volume showing at support as meaning there are few buyers (not a good sign) and that high volume on a pin bar at support means strong buying (a good sign), however, does this not go against the idea of a SUCCESSFUL TEST?

I was under the impression that when price comes down to a support level, it is testing for sellers that will push the price down further. They are trying to see how many people really want to impede the price from rising. Therefore, a high volume pin bar/test, shows that yes there was plenty of buying going on, but also that there was plenty of selling too. This is why VSA talks about having to come back to TEST this area for a second time. Sometimes it moves after a high volume test, but often it will come back. If it comes back and tests this area again and finds a low volume pin bar/test, then this means that there are very few sellers left, and the price is free to rise.

Is this not contrary to your view or how you are interpreting this action? Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. Will have a look at it

Maybe you want Pete to answer this but anyway :stuck_out_tongue: I think what you mean is when you see high volume at support, letā€™s say on the 61.8 fib youā€™ll see price starts to accumulate there for a while AND when itā€™s ready to move up it usually moves up a bit and pulls back a little bit to test the supply, usually just 1 or 2 bars with low volume, this is called No supply. This tells us that the markup is ready start.

I hope this answers your question :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. Itā€™s just confusing to me that Pete always seems to enter on these high volume pin bars at support, when in my eyes that is a successful test on high volume, which is showing that yes the market is ready to move up, but buyers beware, and VSA teaches us that itā€™s better to enter on a low volume successful test (or no supply?) as sellers are exhausted and the full up move can begin.

Also in the same light, how can you tell the difference between NO DEMAND bars (small upbar on volume less than previous two bars) in an up move (a bad thing), and bars that signify that there are fewer sellers near a resistance line (a good thing). Both can look the same. Thanks.

Well you should see stopping volume before a no demand bar shows up. However you can see volume decreasing during an upmove and that should tell you that this is not a healthy upmove. This does not show on just one single bar.
To break resistance it usually requires high volume aswell.

Feel free to right me if Im wrong though.

Looks like we are having our spring to end this so long accumulation phaseā€¦What do you think?

Did you mean Buying Climax? I think we should still make a difference between NO DEMAND and NO SUPPLY.

NO DEMAND confirms weakness in a downmove (Purplepatchā€™es strategy) or after BUYING CLIMAX (VSA)

NO SUPPLY confirms strength in an upmove or after STOPPING VOLUME.

Am I correct?

Nice to see so many posts, Iā€™ll go over them as soon as I get a chance. Yesterday showed more supply than demand, thenā€¦

Absolutely righ! Price skyrocketed up more than 200 pips. The chart was nzdjpy 28 of october 2011, 15 gmt :slight_smile:

Spring has been completedā€¦

If you mean the pop below Nov. 1st low, itā€™s just starting to formā€¦a bit soon to be sure. The 15, 30, 1hr and 4hr all showing a pin below that support. 5 min stopping volume. See how smaller TF look from here and where 1 hr closes, first things first.

Daily shows significant level, but not going to be aggressive picking the bottom. The short entries were before I was on, so maybe no trade for me today.

euu1.bmp (1.15 MB)

I grabbed 18 pips on one of the down moves. Just scalping. These conditions are not for me. One can never know where the [B]REAL BOTTOM[/B] is :rolleyes:

I think VSA is all about context. We can have a bar+vol that looks exactly the same in two situations, but it tells a completely different story because the background is different. I have made a chart to depict my understanding of the matter.

In 1a and 1b the BuyClimax is on higher Vol then the SellClimax. This tells us that we have an overall dominance of supply. The SellCilmax may be the start of a short retrace and thus Re-distribution, or it may be a genuine start of Accumulation. However, if we compare the volume of BuyClimax and SellClimax then the comparison tells us that supply is dominant and the probability of the SellClimax being the start of Re-distribution is higher, and the probability of the SellClimax being the start of Accumulation is lower.

Now letā€™s compare the areas where 1a and 1b go into testing. In 1a the Vol is rising, this tells us that there is still a lot of supply. In 1b the Vol is falling, this tells us that there is little supply left. However, since we determined that in a larger context supply is still dominant, we should be cautious in looking for long trades. Our expectation is that even if we get a rally, it will not get very far.
Furthermore, let us consider the possibility that we do indeed have a Re-distribution going on, in that case the low Vol in the test area is consistent with Re-Distribution, because it shows that there is no demand to work against lower prices.

2a and 2b show a completely different picture, because here demand is dominant. In 2a the market isnā€™t ready yet, the test is on too high Vol. In 2b we have strong demand in the background and very little supply left in the test area.

Of course first the test needs confirmation in the form of a reaction. And then we will be looking for a long entry around the resistance area when a NoSupply bar shows up which will tell us that there is no supply left to resist higher price to break out of resistance.

So, in a nutshell, before we can go long we need to have had successful low Vol test of the support area. But we also want to see the correct background where demand shows a dominance over supply. And if demand enters the picture on relatively low Vol, then we donā€™t have a dominance of demand.

Friends, if I have made a mistake in my interpretation, please correct me.