The Cowabunga System

Hi Dantom

Using MT4 to make a moving average into an exponential moving average is done as follows:
Double click “Moving Averages” in the “Custom Indicators” list.
Click the “Inputs” tab
Change the “MA_Method” value to 1
Click OK

James

Hi,

If used properly (Cowabunga System), can somebody pls. tell me how many PIPS (monthly/weekly avg.) is expected from the system ?!

I’ve read that the system works well & that there’s been [B]NO[/B] losses since Jan. :smiley:

Stef.

As with all systems/methods, there will be losses. The performance track record for 2007 so far, can be found in the blog section of the site (can’t post the link here for some reason).

A healthy 180 pip/month average. If you chart the pip performance for the year, the equity curve looks quite smooth and statistically the method has a positive expectancy - essential starting points in building confidence with a method you might decide to trade day-in, day-out.

…current trade.

…and target hit. A straight forward start to the day.

This is a very useful real time addition to this thread and I would certainly appreciate it if you are able to keep it up for awhile. Also by the look of it you use Netdania and this makes the charts, especially MACD much more akin to what I have got - thx

I won’t be able to post every signal realtime, but I should be able to cover the UK session reasonably well most days.

There was a 1 pip difference in the Oanda/FXCM feed yesterday which resulted in a 30 odd pip loss on the first Cowa signal, but a win through FXCM; swings and roundabouts in the long term probably.

Both Cowabunga and the EMA Step method described on the other thread are two excellent methods. Using either (or both) with discipline and sensible money management offers a great route to success.

Trade Result: +22 +17 -37= +2 pips; [B]R-Multiple: 1.46, 0.67, -1.00 [/B]

What’s R-Multiple?

R is a way of measuring return. If you have a 20 pip stop then a 1R return is a profit of 20 pips. Obviously a 1R trading system needs more than 50% winning trades to be profitable. I dont understand some of the R calculations for the system because they are clearly way out. Essentially if you have a trading system that gives you more than 50% winners and has an R above 1 then you are onto something worth pursuing

I dont have experience with the step model yet but am working may way through it but certainly agree with Cowabunga and would recommend anyone starting out to begin with this

Morning all,

I didn’t trade this signal earlier, but here’s a pic (using Oanda). Another no nonsense 30+ signal.

Good trading.

Nice, this was also an entry using James IB system and at the new low for the day in the system that trades from the Asian session high/low. So all came together today

…eyeing short trade #2…not there yet though.

I wondered about the oversold on the 4H and rising RSI and whether this should keep you out

Good point - i’ve noticed in the Cowa blog that the 4hr RSI and Stochs aren’t always used in the entry criteria, to filter trades - he seems to focus on the 4hr EMA crosses in isolation…it would be useful to get this clarified.

So, that said, i’m in short on Cowa trade #2 for the day…watch it fly north now :smiley:

…tonymand, here’s an example from the last Cowabunga blog post.

…45 pips on that one. A good day for the Cowabunga stats.

yes thats the only bit thats not clear in what otherwise appears to be a very straightforward system. Even easier if 4H is for direction only

…didn’t trade this short earlier, but here’s a pic of the setup (using Oanda). Another delivery for the Cowabunga pip skip :cool:

Be interesting to see if that counts since this time the 15 min is well into oversold territory