The MACD Contrarian. A medium term position trading system for the EURUSD

…FXCM chart, I’m still using their MACD to forward test, signal now forming but will have to wait for the period close for confirmation.

TonyMand, do you still advocate use of MACD or OsMA?

It is a MACD unless you are using MT4 which because it is structured differently requires the use of the custom indicator OsMA

At 4860 unless you are timefreedom! Got a headstart on us mate!

Thanks for the confirmation. Good luck with this trade…shoved through the entry level nicely :slight_smile:

Stopped out of this one guys

…still waiting for the long using FXCM’s ChartStation…bolli and PSAR just for reference.

That could end up being a piece of very good fortune cowaboi I will keep my fingers crossed for you

:slight_smile: swings and roundabouts…am i right in thinking you are now waiting for the next zero line cross north, for a short, rather than trailing entry levels down on this leg to be stopped in long?

Yes thats right. As you know if you are trading a system you need to stick to it and not let intuition get in the way. I would suspect the long is the better trade but at the end of the day who knows?

Quite right. Just wanted to double check your rules :cool:

…the long (via FXCM’s chart) looked promising for a while but in the end stopped out at b/e. Looking forward to the next one…

yes there is always another bus along soon!

Hi Tony,
Interesting system.
I used Jordan’s 4H system for quite a while. This is an interesting twist on it.

You may have discovered that Jordan’s “macd4h” indicator is not exactly the same as OsMA set to 9-64-112.

They are very close, but there can be differences of two or three bars between them on a zero cross.

I was wondering which indicator you used for your backtesting.

Thanks a million.

Hi BillB, I still track Jordans original 4H system which remains profitable although I was never comfortable with it. It is up 13% since February. The backtest was using Jordans version 4 indicator. I checked this against the OsMA for the last 6 months of this year before using it and it has identical crosses. Will need to check back further given your observation although I find no difference in the last couple of months checking it against Netdania’s MACD. My best as Jordan would say!

I have a MACD that is almost identical to Jordan’s.

The standard MT4 OsMA is way off though. Here’s a comparison. I think the OsMA uses SMAs or WMAs in it’s computation.
All are set to 9/64/112.

Thats interesting BillB. Not sure why the difference but my standard MT4 OsMA is identical to Jordans MACD

And here is the snapshot from the same time period as yourself and you are right there is a fractional difference on this occasion

Your OsMA is a lot different than mine- wonder why:confused:

It’s not important, anyway. Even the OsMA I have on my MT4 is at the most, 3 bars out of sync on crosses. I doubt it would make any real difference.

Agreed, but I am glad you pointed it out. Always best to be aware of subtle differences which may sometimes affect trades. Are you still with Jordan?

I left his group early this year. At the time I left, all of his systems had failed. I had lost a ton of money on his GMT system. It was my own fault. I knew better than to martingale and did it anyway:o