Trading Systems in 'New Concepts In Technical Trading Systems' by J. Welles Wilder

Good morning everyone.

OK: the ‘issue’ with the Accumulative Swing Index (‘ASI’) and consequently the Trailing Index SAR (‘TISAR’) is this:

The system uses a commodity as an example (which, as you all know, ‘the man’ was a commodities trader ONLY at the time).

Commodity prices are always quoted in the form ‘$999.99’ but (some, most) forex pairs are quoted in the form ‘$9.9999’ or ‘0.9999’. This causes a problem BECAUSE if you don’t allow for the decimal places your ASI gives you a result that fluctuates between -1 and +1 which is useless. SO the fix is this: you calculate everything to 4 decimals places exactly as it is on the worksheet BUT you DIVIDE your resulting ASI by what I call a ‘PIPFACTOR’ (which really is a ‘tick value’). In other words: Soybeans will have a ‘PIPFACTOR’ of 1 BUT GBP/CHF will have a ‘PIPFACTOR’ of 0.0001 and GBP/JPY will have a ‘PIPFACTOR’ of 0.01. This gives you a ‘corrected’ ASI (which I call a ‘PIPASI’) and it is FROM THIS ‘PIPASI’ that you add or subtract your 60 points (pips) to get the value of your TISAR.

To make things easy I use these pages to get my ‘PIPFACTOR’ (which is denoted as the ‘tick value’. Note that it is the ‘tick value’ that is to be used NOT the $ amount):

GCI Financial Ltd - Online Forex and CFD Trading

On the CFD accounts it’s interesting to note that the ‘PIPFACTOR’ (or tick value) for ???/ZAR is 0.001 AND NOT 0.0001 as one would expect. Same with Gold i.e. the ‘PIPFACTOR’ (or tick value) for Gold is 0.1 AND NOT 0.01 as one might expect.

Just one thing I think should be mentioned:

Please bear in mind that although I consider myself ‘somewhat of an expert’ on the systems in the book because of all the time I’ve spent analysing them it does not necessarily mean that my interpretation of all things is correct so please feel free to post your own ‘take’ on things (which, after all, is the purpose of this thread).

I also think that this should be mentioned before anyone ‘loses their shirt’:

Please know that I have only traded the Trend Balance Point System and the Reaction Trend System and, of course, the Swing Index System i.e. I have never traded the Volatility System live. Although the Volatility System is ‘one of his best’ (according to him) I’m a bit ‘wary’ of it. Because the SAR ‘adjusts’ itself according to the volatility and you’re effectively trading with no stops I think it takes ‘bigger bal*s than mine’ and a whole lot more capital and patience than I have to trade that system. If you look at the example in the book you’ll notice that the ‘historical trade example’ covers an entire year and I reckon that’s where it will ‘shine’: ‘bravery’, ‘capital’, and ‘patience’ willing!!!

Again: this is just my opinion based on backtesting and observation. Feel free to comment or disagree.

Edit:

On the other hand I have found that by using a different ‘factor’ in the Volatility System i.e. outside of ‘his’ range i.e. instead of ‘3’ but something much smaller you can ‘bring’ the SAR ‘closer’. Whether or not that affects the profitability of the system or the actual operation of the system I do not know but, again, the idea here is to ‘experiment’ and post your findings and opinions. For all I (we) know: ‘tweaking’ the Volatitliy System could make it THE overall winner!!! The reason this ‘idea’ springs to mind is the fact that you can be sure that commodities are NOWHERE NEAR as ‘volatile’ as the indices or forex pairs!!!

OK so only got the book today and only had time to take a quick look at the SI. My first impression though is what is the real difference between these 2 graphs. One is painstakingly calculated, the other drawn by sight with very little difference. Thoughts Dale?

The bottom one looks better!!!

No, alright, seriously, there IS no difference.

But now let ME play:

WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE BOOK (if it’s not too late):

How would YOU trade the top chart???

I’m glad it’s arrived by the way!!!

Besides: I TOLD you that someone like you would be able to just ‘see’ what the system is ‘telling you’ on a chart (EXCEPT that there is just a little bit more to the SI System than the chart)!!!

Actually (to put it another way):

The bottom one makes money for me; the top one doesn’t (hasn’t???)!!!

I’m now going to ‘nap’ on my next ‘retort’ (it’s my ‘siesta’ time i.e. every day about an hour or so before the NYSE opens). Can’t wait to get back!!!

LOL, like this reply best!

Yeh, and I hope you wash your hands before you touch the book. That white cover just picks up marks like crazy (I have to polish mine ‘on the close’ everday)!!!

(I missed my ‘nap’)!!!

Edit:

I missed my nap because, thanks to the bottom chart, I’m like a child at Chirstmas time lately i.e. every afternoon there is a little ‘surprise’ in my Soybean ‘stocking’ just after the CBOT opens!!!

Hi Dale, I was wondering if you ever coded any of wilder’s systems into MT4? I just downloaded a demo version and I am trying to learn the swing index, it is hard to visualize without the points on a graph.

Hi,

You can find an ASI indicator for MT4 here:

Accumulative Swing Index - ASI - MQL4 Code Base

BE CAREFUL though: the ASI that you find at the above link IS ONLY suited to identifying the swing points and support and resistance (which I found to be an interesting application for it by the way. See below). DO NOT use the values indicated by it to calculate the TISAR as it DOES NOT take into account the different ‘tick values’ of the different pairs or commodities. In other words: it’s (possibly) correct for pairs that are quoted in the form ‘9.9999’ (EUR/USD for example) but WILL NOT be correct for pairs quoted in the form ‘99.99’ (GBP/JPY or Crude Oil or other commodities). I have downloaded the indicator from the same site and will ‘get around’ to ‘modifying it’ so that it works correctly (when I’m finished with my GCI ‘coding’ that is).

Take a good look at the chart on that page by the way. I found it very interesting how it’s possible to use the indicator to identify support and resistance by drawing lines that join the swing points. This ‘feature’ is not mentioned nor detailed in the book and I’m not sure that it was Wilder’s intention for it to be used this way but it appears to have a lot of merit nonetheless (it makes it real easy for someone like me to see where support and resistance is).

You do not need the indicators at all though (if you know your way around Excel). I am using Excel at the moment for the instruments that I wish to trade at GCI as I have not yet completed my GCI ‘coding’ and it works quite well.

I have attached an example of my ‘coded’ version at Delta as well as an example of what my ‘GCI Excel ASI’ (for want of a better description) looks like (both for WTI Crude Oil as at today). Obviously the Delta one is better: it looks better (Tony???) and it’s ‘automated’ but the Excel one works just as well albeit time consuming to update every day by way of a data export from the platform (and you’ve got to be very careful to not make mistakes especially when you’re over tired i.e. I find myself making many mistakes on the manual version every day unfortuanately and this just wastes time of course).

Sorry dumb question… i tried to figure it out but i’m just no good with programming and such… how do I get that .mq4 file onto the charts so I can view it? Also I searched that database for other indicators of wilder’s and the only other ones that came up were adx and rsi… I would have thought someone had programmed some of his other systems into mt4, because it has all of the bill williams indicators “built-in” I see.

edit: never mind, figured it out :slight_smile:

Hello,

It would seem that some brokers ‘favour’ Williams over Wilder and visa versa for some or the other reason. I was quite dissapointed when I found that Williams’ ‘stuff’ was not on my Delta platform when I opened the account but I’ve since ‘coded’ them into the platform (although I don’t use them as a ‘matter of principle’ which I’ll give you in a PM if your’e interested to know why).

In order to get the ASI to display on MT4 you do the following:

Copy the ASI.mq4 file into the following folder (yours may be different i.e. I have the ‘Alpari UK’ demo installed so just look for a folder that has ‘Metatrader something’ in the name):

C:\Program Files\MetaTrader - Alpari UK\experts\indicators

Once there then open MT4 and open the ‘Navigator’ and then expand the ‘Custom Indicators’ ‘tree’ at which point you should see your downloaded ASI indicator. ‘Right click’ and select ‘Attach to a chart’ and ‘hey presto’ you now have the ASI indicator. I see that there is a ‘T’ parameter which allows you to change the ‘limit’ BUT I don’t see this as being the same thing as leaving the calculations exactly the way as they are in the book and simply introducing a ‘tick value divisor’ i.e. a ‘limit’ in the book refers to a ‘limit up’ or a ‘limit down’ day and has nothing to do with the way the price of the instruments is quoted.

Strangely enough: in ‘the old thread’ I was asking about ‘limit days’ and for the first time in my (trading) life I actually saw on Bloomberg TV (on Monday I think it was) that Platinum was ‘limit up’ in Taiwan. This means that on Monday you could short Platinum but you could not go long it.

Thanks Dale, yes I see the problem with the indicator… i think i’ll just work on my excel… :o Wow, quite a surge in the market 15 minutes ago after the GBP retail sales numbers got released, it was much better than expected so all of the GBP pairs skyrocketed. With the TBP system I was long gbp/jpy , gbp/usd and gbp/eur, but i’m short gbp/chf and my targets got hit on the above three but currently around 95 pips down on the gbp/chf trade, it does seem to be “calming down” though. Well like they say, 3 for 4 ain’t bad :smiley:

Hello,

Happy to hear about the TP targets but sorry about GBP/CHF. I for one (sorry to say this but) HOPE that your stop gets hit for the simple reason that I have had some big positions open on this pair for the last week (long obviously) and it’s done nothing other than frustrate ‘the living sh*t’ out of me i.e. it’s just been moving up and down and up and down and up and down for the past couple of days and it’s annoying!!! I want it to either drop like a stone at which point I’d have to stop and reverse at a sizeable loss (at least I’ll be put out of my misery) OR break out of it’s current range (up) in which case I’ll be ‘smiling all the way to the bank’!!!

Anyway, knowing the TBP System the way I do, I sure hope, that if your stop does get hit, that the profit that you made on the other three covers the loss!!! That unfortuanately is the ‘nature of the beast’ with the TBP System.

Yes, the stop was hit soon after I posted, oh well. The profit on the three other trades more than made up for the loss though, so I’m still happy. I hate when you are trading and your “gut instinct” tells you to do one thing and the system tells you the opposite. For example, at the close today I had signals to go long on all the gbp pairs (and short eur/gbp) because of the big spike caused by the gbp news release. I know they don’t have all the answers, but my broker’s “daily trading advice” is saying to short all of the gbp pairs, because there will be a correction, it was already in a downtrend, these indicators say so, etc. I guess the important thing is to trust the system and not get caught up in the “hype”, but it is difficult, as I’m sure you know :o

Dale, I’ve not used the ASI before and was just playing around with it. I can see where it confirms price action with the trend lines. Is this picture 1/2 right?

thanks

Hi folks,

Sorry I have not responded for the last two days or so (had computer problems on Thursday and yesterday and, as if that were not bad enough, made some bad trades which I will ‘expound upon’ below):

chirules54:

I guess the important thing is to trust the system and not get caught up in the “hype”, but it is difficult, as I’m sure you know

Funny you should say that: it’s EXACTLY what’s causing (caused) my bad trades this week. See below.

[email protected]:

I have not seen the ASI analysed like that before but it sure looks interesting and promising. Nowhere in the book does Wilder ‘use it’ like that but it would seem that somewhere, someone, has ‘picked up’ on the fact that it CAN be used like that. I’d say that if you used it like that just to identify support and resistance and breakouts in conjunction with some other system you’d be OK but I don’t think you could (should) trade the ASI on it’s own.

This is actually a very important point: remember that the ASI is an INDICATOR which is different from ‘The Swing Index System’ which is a TRADING SYSTEM BASED on the ASI INDICATOR. There is a difference here.

Now for my week:

After a ‘whopping start’ to the month I find myself ‘fu*king up’ AGAIN!!! I don’t know if this is just a ‘psychological reaction’ to what happened last year but I found myself closing trades too early (at a small profit) not for any good reason and certainly not because the SI System was giving me signals to do so and, worse still, I found myself ‘hanging on’ to trades where the SI System was indeed wrong, had given a signal to stop and reverse, which I ignored because the loss at that point in time was ‘psychologically too great’, only to find that had I in fact stopped and reversed as signalled by the SI System not only would I have recovered the aforementioned ‘psychologically too great’ loss but would also have made a nice profit. Also, as ‘strange’ as this may sound: up until Monday, on three out of four accounts, I had had a 100% success rate with this system and did not want to ‘blemish’ my ‘track record’ for the month so far by taking a loss. Watch out for this i.e. sometimes ‘doing too well’ can cause a ‘psychological problem’ believe it or not!!!

The reason I’m mentioning this (in addition to being a ‘note to self’) is that the SI System DOES work BUT if you cannot STICK TO IT’S RULES you will STILL end up losing!!!

I can, however, ‘justify’ to myself the reason for holding on to at least two of the bad trades (which are still currently open). The actual REASONS that I’m going to give you for my ‘justification to self’ open up a ‘whole new can of worms’ though.

Example:

Silver.

On Monday night this week the SI System gave me a signal to place a short order for Silver which I did. The order was executed and the short downtrend (which was probably a slight correction due to profit taking from the week before) then changed direction almost immediately and Silver started it’s ‘march’ upward. The SI System on Tuesday was now giving me a signal to stop and reverse based on the TISAR. Problem: the loss was somewhere around $200 at that point. I then started loading up on other indicators like RSI and Stochastics to ‘confirm’ the stop and reverse and both RSI and Stochastics were showing that Silver was in overbought territory. So, of course, instead of placing an order to stop and reverse as indicated by the SI System I ignored the signal based on what RSI and Stochastics were telling me which, of course, I found a lot ‘easier’ to ‘swallow’ because it suited my purpose i.e. RSI and Stochastics were telling me that the stop and reverse was ‘false’ and that Silver would correct soon and that I would not have to take the $200 loss. At the close yesterday that single position is now is a $1K loss. The point is this: had I stopped and reversed as indicated by the SI System I would not only have covered the $200 loss but would now be showing an $800 profit on the position. Now I do believe that Silver (and Gold) WILL correct shortly but, having said that, I now have a some terrible choices: either close the position at a $1K loss, ‘hedge it’ so that I can wait for the correction without the loss getting any bigger, or leave it to run ‘hoping’ that Silver WILL correct in the near future (before I run out of margin) at which point I can ‘load up’ on some short positions to cover the loss and hopefully turn a nice profit.

OK: all of the above are MY problems I know. The BIG question that they raise in my mind though is this: when following this system is it better to do it ‘blindy’ or to use other indicators as confirmation? Of course, in hindsight, it would appear that trading this system ‘blindly’ is the way to go BUT you then HAVE TO BE PREPARED to take the ‘knocks’ NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL otherwise you’ll land up in the above situation ‘in a heartbeart’.

The above scenario ‘played out’ on GBP/CHF this week as well i.e. the SI System has given me three stop and reverse signals (three ‘chances’) to take a small loss, cover it, and still end up with profit BUT, again ‘second guessing’ the system and ‘justifying’ my choice to ignore the TISAR because it ‘looked like to me’ that GBP/CHF had found very strong resistance as per the daily chart and would not continue on down, held on to the positions (to make matters worse on FOUR different accounts) which, of course, are now in a loss (again: on FOUR different accounts for crying out loud)!!! Again: while GBP/CHF MAY go up from next week just look at the amount of capital that I have not only risked but ‘tied up’ for no good reason.

Aside from the above I have, of course, had some very good trades although these trades, looking at them now this morning, would have been EVEN BETTER trades had I not ‘bailed out’ early for no good reason.

I (you) have to overcome this problem of not trusting the system IMMEDIATELY FROM SUNDAY!!! ACTUALLY FROM NOW!!!

I will tell you something else (probably even more important than the above):

The CSI is probably the ‘keys to the kingdom’ when trading Wilder’s trading systems. I have analysed all my trades and the ones that were ‘not so great’ or where there had been multiple stop and reverse signals were the ones where the CSI values were MUCH lower than the CSI values for other instruments where there were entry signals. As a matter of fact: based on the CSI value of GBP/CHF I SHOULD NOT EVEN HAVE BEEN IN THAT TRADE AT ALL, EVER!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! If calculating the CSI value is too much ‘hassle’ then at least ‘observe’ the value of ADXR (not ADX but ADXR) before getting into a trade. While ADXR on its own won’t take volatility into account (amongst other things) it will at least tell you whether you have directional movement or not AND give you the instruments to trade that have the highest directional movement and thus the highest probability of good trades as compared to instruments with little or no directional movement i.e. ‘rangebound’ where the chances of getting ‘screwed’ are a lot higher!!! This poses yet another ‘dilemma’ (for me anyway at the moment) i.e. what if, when getting into the trade, the ADXR WAS INDEED a high value compared to other instruments where there were signals BUT NOW the ADXR value has dropped to an ‘unaccetable level’? Do you wait for the SI System to give you a signal, book some profit, or close the position because the instrument has now become ‘rangebound’?

Remember, if the ADXR is below 20, trade the TBP System or the RT System.

I’ve probably posed more questions than I have given answers. Sorry for that (but feel free to ‘chirp’ anyway)!!!

Edit:

By the way: isn’t if ‘funny’ how when you are testing a new system it works BUT the minute you start trading it ‘the wheels SEEM to fall off’??? Why is this??? ‘Murphy’??? I mean: take a look at GBP/CHF. Had I been trading this pair a month or more ago with the SI System I would have made a ‘gazillion’ USD but as soon as I started trading the pair live with the system it became ‘rangebound’!!! How about that!!!

which I ignored because the loss at that point in time was ‘psychologically too great’,

Just to state the obvious Dale, if it was psychologically too great it was practically too great so you must reduce your tradesize. I well remember trading my $200,000 demo account and being down $38,000 on a trade that I had executed poorly and hung onto. By the time I got out I was up $60,000 but could never have done that on a real account and even if I had one day I would get creamed