Understanding Price Action by Chris Capre

Hola Stonecoldmichael,

Correct me if i’m wrong, but isn’t there a WWE wrestler with this name? Forgive me for my ignorance on this as I don’t watch TV.

But thanks for the kind words on the webinars. Forexpros also has some of mine as well there, but glad you enjoyed them and I hope you found them useful.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Interesting, I find that the London/NY crossover is good. Would be intersting to know over how lond a period the data is corrolated, and on which currencies, but then I guess that would be telling now wouldn’t it lol :slight_smile:

hah, yes I’m sure there was a stone cold at the WWE, Steve Austin I believe. :slight_smile:

i did find the webinars that i’ve seen usefull, and continue to do so in my learning. One thing I’m learning about this business, is that the education is ongoing. Inevitable really.

Hello Again SCM,

Do you mean trading the London to NY Open session? This can be powerful and generally offers some good volatility for with trend or breakout setups.

In regards to the data - minimum testing period was 3 years, while some were up to 10 years. Each year I re-run the data to see what’s still performing or not. Some stay, some go, many though remain.

In terms of currencies, I run the data across a total of 30+ currencies from every time frame between 5m and weekly. Then I run the data across the three main server times to compare performance.

A pain to do it, but definitely worth it to have that statistical edge.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Dang - I must be old to remember that :-ooo

Yes, education is ongoing. I’m constantly taking things to new levels, challenging old ideas, taking things to a more subtle level, adapting to the every changing market. Many strategies that used to work years ago back in 2002 will not today, and many today will not back then. The market is an ever flowing river we must learn to adapt to and mirror consistently.

So have to agree that education is ongoing.

Kind Regards,
Chris Capre

Yeah apologies you are right, I was refering to the cross over at the London to NY session opening. It’s a pretty active period to say the least lol

That is some extensive research and analysis, though as you say definetley worth it if you have the right skills and the time. Edge is critical. :slight_smile:

I hope you caught this one today Chris, on the GBP/JPY pair:

I set my entry at 141.20, just under that first red line I drew there, and set my stop loss just above the 20 EMA, since price seemed to be bouncing off it quite nicely, so my stop was about 25 pips off my entry.

My target had to be big enough to cover my risk, so decided to go with 2:1 RR, actually more like 2.5:1 RR, in the end my target was hit within one hour of my trade being triggered, and I ended up with 60pips profit. The second red line (the bottom one) was my target, as looking back it seemed like a level that price had reacted to earlier.

This trade was so obvious to me today, buyers were being squeezed out and I managed to catch the breakout :).

Hello Stinsfire,

Nicely done. Good breakout play for sure. Me and my traders were already short from an Ichimoku Price Wave analysis whereby we called the top within about 30pips and then shorted, so still holding, may add more onto the position.

But as far as breakouts go - this is a classic setup so well done!

If you can in the future - show the entry and exit from the broker and I can always do more analysis for you to give some more hints.

But a nice start to the day.

Good hunting mate!

Kind Regards,
Chris

You would have got a very nice entry then, Ichimoku is not for me though, took a look at it once and found it too confusing, I like price action because of its raw nature and simplicity.

In regards to showing my entry and exit from my broker, that’s fair enough, I guess in retrospect anyone can look back on a chart and draw a few lines for entries and exits. I use MT4 for my charting (which is what I posted above) and use my broker’s online platform solely for placing trades, since their charting ability is not the best.

No worries mate - Ichimoku is not for everyone, although when you combine Ichimoku with PA, it becomes a deadly and powerful combination.

But yes, pure price action by itself is quite elegant and the simplicity is a great way to trade.

In regards to the charts and showing entries and exits, yes, tis only fair as that is what I ask of my students and myself. I only show charts with the actual entries and exits from my broker, and my students do as well. This way we really know what someone was trading as like you said, its pretty easy to put some lines on a chart and call them a trade.

But, I’ll look forward to more of this from you as it seems you are starting to get the idea of breakouts. The hardest part in the beginning is getting comfortable with the entries. But once you do, then the challenge becomes the exits and finding the optimal exit as they offer high profit potential.

Anyways, looking forward to more from you.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Hey Chris, I noticed a breakout pattern emerging on the GBP/JPY pair (again :stuck_out_tongue: ), but this time I did not enter it as the way it was bouncing off the red line (see attached image) wasn’t as clear to me as the trade I took yesterday. This is on the 30min chart by the way.

It did end up breaking out and I missed out on a ~50 pip breakout, I had an idea about where to set my stop loss (just under the 20 ema since it looked to be carrying price upwards since price broke through its line) but my problem was I had no idea where to set my target, so I decided to stay out on this one. So I was wondering if you could help me with setting targets?

Hello Stinsfire,

So it would be a little unfair to those who paid for the course if I gave away the breakout method for finding targets, but your best bet would be to a) read the price action in real time to see when the breakout is fading or still has legs, or b) find a clear resistance level where the market is likely to react to.

Hope this helps - but this was a great breakout play according to the rules I teach, and a nice setup imo.

Kind Regards,
Chris

I completely understand, they paid good money to get that information and that’s fair enough. Now, to what extent am I allowed to ask questions without making it unfair for your students? I just want to know so I don’t cross any lines next time. :slight_smile:

This thread is dead at the moment. Hello Chris waiting for your updates…

I’ve been keeping myself busy with his webinars :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello Perry, Stinsfire and All,

I’ve been on a 3 day meditation retreat since Friday, but after the retreat, I have been integrating new practices so took Mon/Tues off to further integrate them.

I’ll be back today writing my first daily setup that I’m looking at, and then doing regular articles starting tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience while I have been on retreat to start off the new year. Its amazing as I was taking the retreat, I had sooo many ideas about trading, building a successful mindset, how our awareness and mindset in the moment affects our trading - all quite amazing and am looking forward to sharing all this new information.

Kind Regards
Chris Capre

hello terry,

Please do not post anything like this as its my personal thread dedicated to teaching price action based on my models.
As such, i am reporting this post as spam and asking the moderators to have the post and link removed.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hello Traders,

I’m looking at the price action on crude oil which is offering several possibilities to get in with trend, including several pin bars, key support and resistance levels, and a possible breakout pullback setup. Chart below.

Good to see you back

Nice Chart :slight_smile: