What's a good fundamental analysis system?

Thanks - this is the best week I’ve had so far by quite a long way. I got helped along quite a bit by the better than expected AUD news last night. It certainly helps to back the right horse :stuck_out_tongue:

Backing horses! hang on just let me get this straight, are you trading fundamentals, technicals or gambling on horses? The latter sounds very interesting, does the pound go up when the horses win or lose?

In this case it went down down down - which is why I backed the Aussie horse on Monday morning as I had a feeling that would happen. Even though AUD was taking a pasting from USD at the time.

Now if it had been cricket on the other hand…

so the Greece bailout is going ahead :rolleyes:

750 pips minimum this week, huh?
In less then four days, huh?

Looking at my ATR range prints for the week you must have picked the whole milage in one direction from at least 4 pairs starting Sunday afternoon EST to get to that pip count.

How did you manage that?

I really love to know.

I’ll post up the screenies when I get home. Short GBP/AUD was a big one. Closed out another one manually this morning for about 220 - think it was EUR/AUD (short).

This also accounts for about 120 pips I lost on a GBP/CAD (long) which went against me - hence me making this thread about fundamentals in the first place.

All my trades are 100/200 - 150/300 swing trades (stop loss/profit target) and I put on about 6-8 a week.

Lke I said - I was helped a lot by the positive AUD news last night, but yeah I would love this pip count to be the regular status quo. Especially as I only spend 1 1/2 hours a day trading - 45 mins in the morning, 45 in the evening.

The 400 are banked as in closed out - the 350 (how it was this morning when I left for work) is floating so could easily become -350

Trades I’m still in:

short - EUR/NZD since Monday am about 7 AM GMT
long - USD/JPY - since about Tuesday evening sometime

One other - can’t remember exactly but will update later.

Yes, those two pairs have done up to 50% more then average daily milage [see average daily range prints] in the past two days.

Very good picks.
Well done. :slight_smile:

EURO shorts doing good milage, today. LOL

Maybe if I have a week like this agian it will be with real money instead!

Results so far:

EUR/NZD (sell) entry - 1.9855 - exit - 1.9555 - 300 pips
AUD/CHF (buy) entry - 0.9352 - exit 0.9525 - 173 pips
EUR/AUD (sell) entry - 1.5751 - exit 1.5529 - 222 pips - closed this one manually before going to work due to being +222 pips and EUR news coming up
GBP/AUD (sell) entry - 1.7993 - exit 1.7659 - 334 pips
GBP/CAD (buy) entry - 1.6752 - exit 1.6640 - -112 pips

Pips gained - 1029
Pips lost - 112

Net pips gained - 917 :smiley:

Trades still open AUD/CAD (buy) & USD/JPY (buy) - neither doing that well, about 40 pips between them, but the asian session draws near…

I included a trade from last week in the screen shot just to illustrate that the above 5 trades are all from this week.

Now if I’d been paying more attention to fundamentals I probably would have skipped that GBP/CAD one. It’s actually the reason I decided to look into developing a fundamental strategy.

As for EUR/GBP (sell) that’s one that got away! (attachment 2)

What do we think of AUD/CAD? Gold vs Oil… hasn’t done much for the last few days this trade

Would you trade this approach with real money?

[U]

That’s a de facto AUD long position you took there with your trades & one EUR short position [EUR/NZD (sell)].

GBP was long/short each.
Therefore NO position and resulting in the GBP/CAD loss=112 pips.

That’s pretty high risk trading & you we’re [U]lucky[/U] the AUD news went in your favor. Otherwise it would have looked different.

Absolutely

I know I was lucky with the news, I don’t expect results like this every week - but yeah the whole long/short GBP thing is what got me thinking about fundamentals because prior to that I was trading 100% on technical signals.

I did expect those trades to close out the way they did - just not as quickly as they did with the news.

Let’s see how next week turns out :rolleyes:

Let’s, I’ve got a good idea what’ll happen here it’ll be 15 - 20 PIPS and another 5%+ return again, boring isn’t it :slight_smile:

Hey at least you’re making real money! I’ll be back at the office Monday morning… and tomorrow…

Maybe my USD/JPY and AUD/CAD trades will whipsaw me during the asian session - the fat lady ain’t singing yet :eek:

Your capital base grows nice & steady. Very boring indeed. :slight_smile:

A week ago ddinnov would have got his a** handed to him taking those positions. And if he keeps doing this going live he will one day.

Laying a de facto bet on one pair during high prioriy news time can be pretty unhealthy for your capital base. Exactly the opposite from nice & steady. :slight_smile:

What is a de facto bet?

I was just trading my technical system :confused: Put most of the positions on 2 days before the news happened…

It has got nothing to do with your TA system & fundamentals.
It has got to do with the chosen pairs you traded.

Three of your positions had the AUD either as base or quote currency.

[B]AUD[/B]/CHF (buy) entry - 0.9352 - exit 0.9525 - 173 pips
EUR/[B]AUD[/B] (sell) entry - 1.5751 - exit 1.5529 - 222 pips
GBP/[B]AUD[/B] (sell) entry - 1.7993 - exit 1.7659 - 334 pips

You laid a bet on the AUD to rise.
You bought AUD in the first pair where AUD was the Base currency.

You sold the Base currency EUR & GBP against the AUD in the other two bets. So you were betting on the AUD to rise because AUD is the Quote currency.

Three bets on the AUD to rise.

The news went into your favor and you won.
Last week the AUD fell after the news.
The same bet would have lost last week.

This bet is the opposite position from the GBP/[B]AUD[/B] (sell)
GBP/CAD (buy) entry - 1.6752 - exit 1.6640 - -112 pips

So you laid one short bet & one long bet on the GBP at the same time.

This bet is not involved because both bets invoving the EUR were short & the EURO is the Base currency in both pairs.

EUR/NZD (sell) entry - 1.9855 - exit - 1.9555 - 300 pips

Not true. I traded valid signals in all pairs - hence the long and short GBP trades (which is something I learn’t not to do now).

I made 7 trades this week, 4 of them involving the AUD all on technical signals. One of them is still open (since Monday) - AUD/CAD (buy).

You’re basically saying that I traded the news on several trades and that my [I]gamble[/I] paid off.

I traded technical signals and the news just accelerated the profit targets getting hit. When I put the positions on (2 days before the news came out) I was aiming for 2-5- days to hit the targets.

I’ll do exactly the same next week and I’ll post up the pairs before and as I do them on Sunday night/Monday morning.

I like the way you are referring to my trades as ‘bets’ now as well… :rolleyes:

Hi.

Can someone explain to me those terms like milage. i mean, i’m new to forex and I want to know all about it. thank you.

Milage, just a saying like you would use in any walk of life, you have an idea that might work, you might think there’s milage in it.