Who is the greatest trader of all time and why do you think he or she is?

Yes…we are getting there…why do you pick these ?

Because they make money? Lol.

So which one are you ?

A trader ?? or an investor?

Its always a good benchmark to compare yourself to Mr Warren Buffet. :eek:

I am both.

It is okay to be either a trader or an investor, just don’t try to be both with the same stock!!!

I am a very bad trader, this has been proven. I am a very good investor, this also is known. This gives me an advantage for then I look for a good trader that can take advantage of my strength while I take advantage of his strength which is my weakness.

If I was a good trader then I will look for a good investor as the same would apply as my weakness is supported by his strength.

You will not find someone that is both a good trader and a good investor as you would have completely different outlooks as a trader or an investor.

Knowing what you are and what you are not helps in the first step towards success.

Well said, makes alot of sence when thought about logically.
Why do you think you dont make a good trader, just out of interest?

If I invested with Goldman Sachs, does that make me a good investor?

Being a passive investor is easy.

Being an ACTIVE investor is hard.

It’s easy to put money in a hedge fund, and ***** at the manager if he underperforms.

As for naming famous traders, Jesse Livermore would be my pick.

The day trader from hell right there.

Del ‘Boy’ Trotter

Or actually there’s a bloke sells meat off the back of a van in Worcester market. He’s brilliant. The missus came home with two shopping bags full of silverside and 10 pork chops last week. She only went out for a tube of toothpaste.

Paul Tudor Jones is probably a better role model, but without a shadow of a doubt Jesse Livermore would be my choice.

VASCO DAGAMA 16TH CENTURY TRADER concepts still used today

from this forum I would say Tess or Jocelyn from alternative technical templates. They grew up in this industry and have proven constantly that they will always forget more than I can know about trading :smiley:

I have always enjoyed pipcrawler’s trades too

and I’m sure John Foreman is one of the most successful around here.

Most famous vote would be for George Soros

Hell…that’s a good salesman !!..lol…he’ll probably lose his pants in forex.

Buy low, sell high ??

I’ve never really understood why people pick Livermore other than the book is called “The greatest trader”. Reading the book, he sounds more like a down and out :slight_smile:

Some people can manage their funds better than they can manage their lives…

Eh, was just referring to one of the horrific acts of cruelty that Vasco Da Gama committed on one of his voyages. He was a successful merchandise trader despite the nastiness - when you make 60 times the cost of your voyage that’s not a bad result.

My vote… The mug looking back at me in the mirror. I used to idolize other traders we all read about. Then suddenly I got reality slapped across my face… Those other traders won’t share their money or success with me… So I began focusing on the only Trader that matters in the end… Myself.

:o GLGT

I admire Livermire for his tenacity and raw ambition. At numerous times in his trading career he could have walked away a very wealthy man, but the game was far more important.

I’m also told that although he filed for bankrupcy, he personally paid back debts at a later stage in his life, when he had no legal obligation to do so.

Above all I admire his ability to adapt to a constantly changing environment. I know the personal sacrifices required to develop an edge and I have the advantages of unlimited computer power, better analysis techniques and a 1001 advantages that he didnt. The circumstances of his death are tragic, but he achieved what very few can.