Why NOT to SET stop losses in FX trading

I think they may be telling the truth: it was not stop hunting, but a price gap due to the volatility during news release.

Anyway, what is this broker (just curious to know it)?

What is this broker?

Please say the name.

Should I be worried about this with an ECN broker like IC Markets? About to go live with them soon and need to know.

1. What is this broker?

Please say the name.

1. If I were you, I would fill a complaint in the regulatory agency.

2. And I would post the chart with the strange daily low you mentioned (as a proof of the stop hunting) in this forum (and every other popular forums).

If you do it, there will be less stop hunters brokers.

Please name and shame the brokers that messed up your trading. There’s no harm in stating the truth and your problem.

HI Jurgen, what a great article. I have lost several small accounts due to this form of action. Can you tell me if this. If I dont set a stop lose but I do set a take profit. Will this reverse happen. The broker will ensure the trade never reaches its TP??? Thanks.

People, be careful not to blame your own poor trading on the broker… I’ll say no more.

Sure, there may be some few instances of foul play, but the vast majority of: oh noes, price just hit my stop loss and then reversed, is due to nothing else than bad traders.

i don’t wanna say any bad things about brokers i haven’t traded with. but just be aware that you might get screwed on a few occasions. that’s it. and that applies to EVERY broker around. my article is about a broker among the top 5 worldwide - claiming that they use NDD - NoDealingDesk technology. well - they sometimes don’t obviously. bottom line: DON’T TRUST THEM! check every single trade etc…

this is a ****storm, who started it, can you prove they do that ?
what’s regulated brokers versus non regulated, what is the agreement you signed with them, does it say they can do that ?
if so, do the laws of the country you live in say they can do that cos in most cases if your laws say they cant no amount of signing contract will enable them to
’can’
because your law will over rule the contract since it would be illegal for them to have you sign something thats not valid
if you knew they were able to do that, do you have the right to complain ? if you didnt , we’re back to what does your enforced laws say ?
i could
like ask for someone with a lot of clout and xp here to put up a thread on 'how to pick a broker by reading the fine print’
please ?
one of the site-founders maybe ?

this is a double post but yea, /agree and no, its due to the market moving, i cant see brokers spying on single clients doing this, i could see them scripting this, its technically possible to have this being done under certain conditions but on an audit that would show, what company would risk that ?

they won’t screw you on take profits since they don’t/can’t manipulate market prices. they only manipulate pip spread which does not trigger take profits but only stop losses. you’re on the secure side with take profit orders.
example with AUDNZD: let’s say current quote is 1.0800/1.0803 - one client has a stop loss at 1.0820 and the other a take profit at 1.0820. the broker manipulates the spread to 1.0800/1.0825 for a second. result: ALL the stop loss orders between 1.0803 and 1.0825 are triggered and NO take profit is triggered since SL is triggered by the buy-rate and take profit by the sell-rate which remained stable at 1.0800. the opposite is true for SL and take profit BELOW the current quote. with the same results: SL triggered and take profit not triggered.

i hope that helped a little.

Axitrader. They are one of the larger Aussie brokers

o99016mh,
I think you may have a point with regard to ‘own poor trading’. I noticed that most of the comment were posted by Newbies like myself, and therefore trading technique could be playing a part.
Couple of things I have picked up on in Forums Presentations etc is to always make sure you include the spread in your stop loss, and secondly to avoid putting stops on round numbers like 1.6400 or 105.00 etc. Hope this helps a little.

:33: Yes, it looks like whatever happens it is always quiet convinient for them.

Thank you juergen for exposing this not so fair practice, to which I was many times a victim in the first few of my 7 years of trading. I became very prudent with my stop losses and most of the time I keep them in my head ( and certainly when I am in front of my computer. For my long term trades I now use two accounts with two different brokers and if I am long on a pair I might have a limit sell order lower on the other account, that acts like a stop loss eventually, putting me in neutral like until I can see clearly where the market ( not the broker ) wants to go. I trail it manually quite tighty behind and if it is grabbed it is for the good reason.
Needless to say that you have to be serious with trading to get in so much trouble but hey! fool me once,… fool me twice but find elsewhere a greater fool

I’ve heard of this happening but I’ve never experienced it personally. I set my stop immediately after entering every trade. Depends on brokers I suppose, I’m with trade station.

Your opion is poorly expressed and if you believe that well, trading is not for you.

Quite interesting. Now I know I am not the only one who experiences this. Setting imaginary SL is a good idea. My only worry is one can get disrrupted and the next thing you know, you have lost so much. I would be very scared without a SL.

Then Mr Gone would you be kind enough to tell us whose opinion you are refering to

i’ve been trading my own account and client accounts over the last 15 years on the FX market and always encountered practices like this one with several brokers - also large and well known ones. i’m not surprised that many traders experienced the same thing since brokers don’t stop out only one account but all the traders on their platform. it’s a huge scam. and believe me - i know the difference between news driven widening of spreads in extremely volatile seconds and a one second widening of 20 pips triggered by stop loss hunting. as i mentioned - just check and compare daily highs and lows with various brokers and you’ll be absolutely stunned! and i’m NOT talking about dealing desk brokers only - also about no dealing desks. some of them are doing the same. in my opinion the best ones as regards stop loss hunting are ECNs, but you better find out yourself. open practice accounts!