Why we need more (good) female traders

Hi PMH! :slight_smile:

Great to see you here again! Hope we’re gonna hear more from you…

1 Like

We have lots and lots of good female traders, some of them are even better than the male traders, If you wanna find some, all you need to do is to do a little research.

[quote=“Whack_Attack, post:520, topic:63703”]
some of them are even better than the male traders [/quote]

Don’t sound so surprised!!! :smiley:

1 Like

Nah! I am not at all surprised, I am on a break of very ling time and have seen too many female traders who are here to make money and they are making money more than some male traders.

Hello ladies (and gent readers),

My name is Vickie, and I just thought I would drop by and introduce myself. I’ve been trading off and on since 2010, and though I actually started my Forex education here at babypips - I haven’t been active on here for a long time. But I’m back and love contributing, I enjoy helping those who are just starting out on this journey - and I know there are so few women in this field! It can be tough because I feel that we are not always taken seriously. But, results speak for themselves, so if we want to change that perception - we have to achieve results. I remember there was a woman on babypips when I first started, I don’t remember her name - but I followed her journal for a long time, she was so inspiring to me! Her name was Nakita maybe? If any of you know who I am talking about, I would love a link to her old journal. Anyway, the point I am making is - she is probably the reason I have made it as far as I have. Simply because I saw that she could do it. I want to be that kind of role model for others. So, If anyone ever wants to say hi or interact, don’t be shy - I’m quite friendly :slight_smile: Unless you’re a jerk, in which case I have no problem telling you where to shove it (lol…not usually a problem with the girl traders). I also have a thread in the journals section, I trade in the price action style. Happy trading everyone!

2 Likes

Could it possibly have been this thread? ( not inferring in any way that you might be a…! :smiley: )

1 Like

Yes! That is it, wow I can’t believe that thread is still going. Although the OP hasn’t posted in a longtime. But still that is awesome! Thanks Simon, I wasn’t sure about how to find it, and I wasn’t even sure I was remembering her name correctly.

1 Like

Maybe it is now your “destiny” to continue her work albeit not necessarily on that particular thread! :smiley:

I hope that the OP of this thread, PMH, will notice your appearance here, I know he drops in from time to time…

2 Likes

Hello Vickie, thank you for posting on my thread!

I hope that you will inspire other traders, male but also (and especially) female,

to take control of their finances and do due diligence - of course, this is assuming

having investing capital to begin with (something that is often lacking).

I hope that others, like you, will come out of the woodwork to tell their tales…

PipNRoll and Lexys were two successful traders that I got to know and they

have been profitable, in their own unique ways, with trading (both forex and

other instruments)… These two women were so modest about their achievements

in comparison to a lot of men on here who come out all guns blazing and within

a few months disappear without trace… I just generalise here, but the attitude difference

is clear to all who look…

Of course, it is also impossible for women on a forum to be ‘themselves’: if they are too

friendly they get a lot of men flirting or saying inappropriate things to them; if they are too

harsh they get bombed down with insults for being ‘a b+tch’; if they get angry then they

are, you know, ‘THOSE angry women’… :sa:

And if you are a successful woman trader on a forum (or anywhere) then, given the laws

of demand and supply, you will be treated as something of an icon, a rare thing to put on

a pedestal, and expected to be perfection personified: this too is unrealistic…women, like

men, make mistakes, so you cannot lampoon someone for failing 'because , you know, she

is … a woman’…

Food for thought!

3 Likes

It is certainly hard to be a woman on a Forex forum. I’ve abandoned a few over the years due to an overwhelming amount of hostility - that I felt I did nothing to bring on to myself. It’s like once one goes after you, its a dog-pile until they’ve torn you to shreds. Well, I have high hopes that this will not happen this time.

I’m just going to try not to let the negativity get to me. Psychologically, we have enough to deal with concerning our trades - we don’t need to let other people’s crazy issues psych us out. I’m just more comfortable in my own skin. If I screw up, I’m okay with that. I don’t profess to be anything I am not. I am very open to further help and instruction as long as it’s given respectfully.

You bring up an interesting point though, about how if you’re successful as a woman you might be put on a pedestal. I certainly don’t want that kind of pressure. I just want to grow and do my best like everyone else.

I don’t think that there are shortage of successful women, who are dealing in with the Forex Trading. We have quite a lot of them around and even we have the ones who are lots and lots of them, who are even better than the male traders.

Hello everyone, and thank you for posting on my thread. There are two things which I would like to add, if I may: 1) this thread (in the old BabyPips format) had a poll attached to it, which is now lost: it asked people how many successful female traders they knew; the majority ckicked the ‘less than five’ opton, I think. If WhackAttack is right, perhaps he/she is the exception. Public perception is still that the league inhabited by people like Warren Buffett is not also inhabited by people like Leda Braga, for example; 2) the issue of defining ‘successful’ remains an important one on a forum like this, because it still is cloaked with a ‘millon-dollar’ signage; however, if you decided to earn 3% more on your savings than your bank’s savings account offers you, irrespective of the sum gained, then you are ‘successful’. What do you think?

1 Like

good to see you back PMH. Little has changed :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, RiskOn! I am really just here to update this thread… Not much else to offer as my trading is pretty minimal, these days. PM me any time!

2 Likes

Certainly, the definition of successful should include anyone who is consistently ‘profitable’ over a period of time (like a year or more for instance). It is super challenging to get over that hump in Forex, so in my mind - if you have, you are successful. As time goes on you work toward building those profits. I think this should apply to men or women equally, regardless of what trading style you use, etc.

Maybe part of the reason that we don’t ‘see’ more female traders is that they don’t use a feminine handle or reveal through their photo or words that they are female. I’ve done it before on other forums, because it’s just easier to contribute without being harrassed / bashed by the macho types. When I was still newer to Forex, I definitely didn’t need that on top of the usual challenges that newbs face.

But in general, I do think female traders are a rarity. Why? Maybe because they never heard of Forex (I hadn’t until a male I was online gaming with told me about it), and it may just be one of those fields that females seem to be less drawn to in general (like math, coding, some of the sciences, etc.) That’s a whole other discussion of - are they being steered away from those fields by instructors, advisors, family, etc., or are they just truly less interested in those subjects?

I can only speak for myself. Long before I found Forex, I was interested in the markets. I had no idea how they worked or how to get in to them, but I always thought that would be a bomb a** job. Fun, glamourous, exciting, opportunity for wealth - you know, the whole Wolf of Wall Street rags to riches story (minus the drugs and womanizing). When I found out that to get involved in Forex I needed no degree or special training, no certifications, that I could start with relatively little money, and that they even had demo accounts for practicing on - I never looked back. It matters little to me that few make it in this field, I love it, and even with modest levels of success - I will be achieving my dream of becoming a real trader. So, I guess to me that is success.

3 Likes

I thought this was an interesting read.

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/odean/papers/gender/BoysWillBeBoys.pdf

1 Like

Finance is a male-dominated profession, especially at the top. While women in the United States make up 55.4% of the total labor force in finance, they comprise only 16.6% of executive officers, 18% of board directors and 2.9% of CEOs, according to a December 2011 survey by Catalyst Research. As outsiders, women are alternately overlooked and heavily scrutinized when it comes to positions of power in finance. They are sometimes underestimated and held to a lower standard, while at other times they are expected to work harder to prove themselves against their male counterparts or even pitted against their female coworkers.

If you want to rise to the top as a woman in finance but you’re not sure how, seeking out a role model can help illuminate the path. Here are seven women who have achieved great success in this field by being willing to stand out, taking risks and refusing to accept “no” for an answer.

Geraldine Weiss, Investment Advisor
Geraldine Weiss was one of the first women to make a name for herself in finance and to prove that women could be successful investors. She learned about investing by reading books and listening to her parents’ conversations, and also studied business and finance in college.

No investment firm was interested in hiring her as more than a secretary, despite her studies. “It was a man’s world, and women need not apply,” she recalls.

In the face of rejection, she started her own investment newsletter in 1966, at the age of 40. A response to one of her newsletter advertisements read, “I can’t imagine myself ever taking investment advice from a woman. Unless you take your advice from a man.”

Wanting to avoid further gender discrimination, she decided to sign her newsletter “G. Weiss.” It wasn’t until the mid-1970s that she revealed her true identity after achieving a consistently successful track record.

Weiss’s value-based, dividend-oriented stock-picking strategy outperformed the strategies recommended by other newsletters and has achieved above-average returns even in poor markets. She published her newsletter, Investment Quality Trends, for 37 years until she retired in 2003. The newsletter still exists and still follows Weiss’s strategy.

Read more: 7 Outstanding Female Investors 7 Outstanding Female Investors
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

2 Likes

Linda Bradford Raschke, Professional Trader
Linda Raschke is president of two financial firms that bear her initials: LBRGroup, Inc., a commodity trading advisor, and LBR Asset Management, a commodity pool operator. She began trading professionally in the early 1980s and worked as a market maker for stock options. For six years, she worked at the Pacific Coast Stock Exchange and then the Philadelphia Stock Exchange before becoming a self-employed day trader. Raschke authored a book on high probability trading strategies and has been widely featured in the media. She has also lectured on trading for a number of prestigious organizations, including the Managed Futures Association and Bloomberg.

Read more: 7 Outstanding Female Investors 7 Outstanding Female Investors
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

2 Likes

Ps: I posted about Raschke on this thread at posts 392 and 403, if anyone is interested. I contacted her and she replied, amazingly!

2 Likes

Very interesting read…I have read either this paper before or something similar… There was a thread where someone had posted about similar stats but also including trading attitudes according to socio-economic factors (as well as gender).

1 Like