Daily Market Analysis | HotForex

Weekly chart: Gold’s likely to move lower

Gold, Weekly

In my latest Gold analysis from March 18th I wrote: These levels are exactly the levels that attracted buyers in Q4 2014 which suggests that there might still be some demand for Gold just below the current price. However, the psychology might have changed since December last year. Strong growth in the US labour market we have seen since then coupled with the rate hike expectations could lead to Gold breaking the support this time around. I am not taking a view that it will happen as support is support as long as it works. A close above yesterday’s high at 1159.30 would be a positive signal while a close above the 1165.70 resistance in would improve it even further. This would warrant buying intraday dips after over the coming few days with a target at 1190.

Now we’ve seen Gold closing moving higher from the support level and hitting my target at 1190. In addition, this market has moved beyond the target and turned lower at 1224.50 resistance. At the same time Gold created a bar with a narrow range between the open and closing prices hinting a move lower. This has since then materialised and Gold has moved lower this week. This is suggesting further moves lower in the coming two weeks or so. The next important weekly support is likely to be found near the lower weekly Bollinger Bands and 1131.50 to 1142 range. Long term picture is still bearish while in the medium term I expect Gold to move sideways between the above mentioned support and resistance levels.

Gold, Daily

In the daily picture Gold is trading close to the 50% Fibonacci level and the Stochastics are getting close to the oversold levels. This suggests that the move lower over the last few days could slow down a bit. Yesterday we saw a rally from the 50% Fibonacci level but there was no follow through. This 50% retracement level coincides with a pivot candle from the end of March and if price keeps moving sideways for a few days the lower Bollinger Bands will catch up with it creating another supportive element. However the weekly picture points to the downside and therefore we should see rallies higher met with selling and eventually see a move lower to 1141 and 1160 range.

Gold, 240 min

While the 50 period moving average is still pointing higher Gold has been creating lower highs and trending lower in a descending channel. Price is reacting from resistance levels, which suggests further moves lower. The fact that the bounce from 1183.70 support was weak and met with selling does increase probabilities that price will eventually work its way through the support. This however does not rule out price bouncing higher and retesting the resistance levels at 1198 and 1208. The latter coincides with upper Bollinger Bands and should price rally there we’d be looking for momentum reversal signals close to it. The same applies to the 1198 resistance. If price stays in the descending channel (minor time frame confirms with momentum reversals close to the channel top) then we obviously should take advantage of them.

Conclusion

Weekly picture points to lower prices and I expect Gold to move to the lower weekly Bollinger Bands and close to the support range at 1131.50 – 1142 where it should attract buyers again. It could very well be that over the coming weeks price moves sideways between the 1224 resistance and the aforementioned support level. Ranging market between these levels could provide opportunities for traders (with different time trade orientations) trading against both the major and minor resistances and support levels. Short term we are close to a support level and therefore I would like to see price rallying a bit before initiating short trades. We could see Gold retesting the resistance levels at 1198 and 1208. The latter coincides with the upper Bollinger Bands and should price rally there we’d be looking for momentum reversal signals close to it. The weekly Bollinger Bands and proximity of daily pivot high at 1160 could very well work as an ultimate swing trade target.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

CRUDE LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE BOTTOMING

Crude oil and Inverted DXY, Daily

In my analysis from February 5th I suggested that the crude oil could be close to levels it might bottom out. At the time I wrote: The price of oil has collapsed with the strengthening dollar and has reached levels that were last seen in the later stages of the financial crisis in 2008. This suggests that the current levels are deeply oversold both fundamentally and technically. The world economy is certainly slowing down but it is in a better shape than it was in the first quarter of 2009 when the US crude oil futures dropped to $33.35. Therefore, it makes sense to expect crude oil to be relatively close to the levels it could find a bottom.

Now it does look like crude oil is indeed bottoming. Since January price has moved sideways and even shown some relative strength against the USD. As crude is priced in the US dollars any up moves in the US Dollar Index (DXY) should mean the price of oil goes down. However, since the end of January DXY has move higher while crude has moved sideways and has therefore showed some relative strength. As can be seen from the above chart with crude oil in black and inverted DXY in blue the strength of crude was really taken to new levels at the midway of March. Together with the fact that the crude oil has been trading levels close to the 2009 low suggests to me that we are witnessing bottoming action in the price of crude.

Crude oil, Weekly

Since forming a hammer candle in March the price of crude oil has been trending higher and making consecutive higher closes. Now price has moved well beyond the 53.60 resistance level. This confirms the bullishness and suggests that the price has bottomed. After such a long sideways move and relative strength against the DXY it is now more likely that price will find buyers if it retraces back to the support levels. Now that the Stochastics is indicating crude is getting overbought the next challenge for buyers is likely to be around the 23.6% Fibonacci level and the upper Bollinger Bands that are nearby. The most important support levels are at 53.60 and 46.53.

Crude oil, Daily

Price is trending higher in a channel and has with yesterday’s rally moved outside the upper Bollinger Bands. This suggests that the market is getting overbought in the short term. Stochastics are in the overbought territory supporting the indication from Bollinger Bands. Also, price is getting close to the channel top. The support at 53.60 looks like a logical retracement level and it coincides roughly with 23.6% Fibonacci level. I have not drawn the Fibs on the chart to maintain a better readability. Should the 53.60 support fail to hold, the next potential support level is at 50.25.

Crude oil, 240 min

Price has reacted with a shooting star candle and is now inside the upper Bollinger Bands. This suggests the corrective could be already underway. Stochastics support the idea as they are overbought and pointing lower.

Conclusion

Long term picture is bullish with the price of oil showing clear signs of market bottoming. In medium term, ie the daily trend crude is bound to move higher but might retrace first. The intraday picture is overbought and therefore bearish. I look for correction lower intraday and then keep an eye on 53.60 support region for buy signals.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer: Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of purchase or sale of any financial instrument.

DXY IS GETTING CLOSE TO SUPPORT

DXY, Weekly

US Dollar Index (DXY) represents a basket of currencies in which the US dollar is valued. These include major currencies with different weights: EUR (57.6%), JPY (13.6%), GBP (11.9%), CAD (9.1%), SEK (4.2%) and CHF (3.6%). With euro having the highest weighting analysis made on DXY will have the greatest indication for EURUSD trading.

Since March this year momentum indicators have been moving lower reflecting the fact that price has not been making new higher highs anymore. Until recently Stochastics and RSI have been moving above the overbought threshold but now are pointing lower and have moved closer to neutral values. In a price chart that means the latest price action is taking closer to the middle of the recent range. DXY has been correcting lower this week and is now close to the 50% Fibonacci retracement level. This ties up with the indication from the oscillators. Price is also approaching an accelerated trendline support but has created a lower high which suggests that price could be moving sideways over the coming weeks.

DXY, Daily

Both Stochastics and RSI are close to oversold levels with the latter attempting to tick higher at the time of writing. Price has reached a pivot candle from April 6th and is fairly close to a rising trendline support. This suggests that the downside is getting limited and we should be looking for buy signals for the dollar at levels at or below the current price. Nearest support and resistance levels are 97.46 and 99.46 which also coincides with the upper Bollinger Bands. Should the 97.46 support not hold the DXY the next important support level can be identified in the 4h chart at 97. The 50 day MA is currently in the region as well with a value of 97.08. This increases the validity of the level.

DXY, 240

As DXY has been trending down over the last three days there has also been some wedging in the price. This suggests that there is some resistance for dollar moving lower, especially since price came to the low of 98.07 yesterday. At the moment the 61.8% Fibonacci resistance level has been acting as a resistance for rallies today. Price is moving closer to 97.46 support level which it has already almost touched once and bounced higher. Stochastics, RSI and MFI are oversold which supports the view that this market is near to buy levels. If the 97.46 doesn’t hold then the next support level at 97 should come into play but I am interested in price action based buy signals even between the levels.

Conclusion

In the longer term picture it is clear that the Fed speak turning dovish in March has taken steam out of the DXY rally and the index has been moving sideways. Price has created a lower high which suggests weakness and that DXY could be moving sideways over the coming weeks. But in a shorter term picture DXY is close to support levels and we should therefore be looking for buy signals the dollar. This obviously means looking for sell signals in markets like AUDUSD (close to a resistance), NZDUSD (also at resistance). At the same time USDJPY is at support. Should the price action confirm my analysis this could be a time to favour USD over other currencies. Later on today we will have the CPI numbers from US and this could cause some action should there be a strong deviation from analysis expectations.

You will find today’s economic calendar with the highest impacting events only. Please visit HotForex.com for full calendar.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

GBPJPY Reacts Lower From Channel Top

GBPJPY, Weekly

The pair has been ranging between 175 support and 179.29 resistance over the last three weeks. At the same time Stochastic oscillator has moved to oversold territory and is trying to move higher indicating the downside momentum is weak and might be reversing. This is consistent with the pair being close to support. Additionally, the sideways move has caused the lower Bollinger Bands to draw closer to the current price action and the weekly price bar lows have been moving along the 1.5 Standard deviations Bollinger Band. Until two weeks ago the 50 week moving average has been able to send price significantly higher but now this market fluctuates on both sides of the average. This suggests that the market is less decisive than previously toughing these price levels.

GBPJPY, Daily

Since March 18th GBPJPY has been moving lower in a bearish channel with the March consolidation between 178.80 and 180.08 resisting attempts to move higher. On Friday the pair reacted from the trendline and upper Bollinger Bands creating a shooting star candle. Today we’ve seen some follow through with bears pushing the pair below Friday’s low. This suggests momentum is currently to the downside.

Daily pivot candle high from April 14th coincides with the lower daily Bollinger Bands and could slow the moves lower (at 176.40). Stochastics and RSI are not at overbought levels but they are at levels where they turned lower the last time, and that’s when price turned lower as well. Oscillators do not determine where the price moves to but in context that price is reacting lower from a descending channel top it supports the general idea of price potentially moving lower.

GBPJPY, 240

In the intraday chart GBPJPY can be seen moving below the rising trendline that supported price since April 14th. Price has since corrected lower and after bouncing from 38.2% Fibonacci level is now at the time fighting with a resistance just below the 23.6% Fibonacci level. At the time of writing the latest 4h candle just closed above 177.50 and we now have a hammer candle that indicates lack of downside momentum and suggests traders should choose carefully where to initiate short trades. Next support and resistance levels are at 176.55 (lower Bollinger Bands and a resistance turned into a support) and 178.20, a recent 4h pivot high.

Conclusion

The long term chart draws my attention to the nearby support level but also 50 week moving average and indecisive price action around it. Should price move lower from current levels buyers could be stepping in close to the recent (April 14th) low at 174.88 and if we see confirming price action then we could see a move to the descending trendline in the weekly picture. In a shorter term picture I am following minor time frames (60 min and lower) to see if price action confirms the bearish indications given by the daily time frame shooting star candle that occurs near channel top. At the time of writing this seems to be the case as price has reacted lower from a 50 period MA in an hourly chart but with the 4h hammer candle this market does give slightly mixed signals. With a bearish daily setup it makes sense to sell rallies at resistances if price action confirms the analysis. A 4h hammer candle indicates lack of downside momentum and suggests traders should choose carefully where to initiate short trades.

Please, find today’s high impact economic releases below. For full economic calendar visit HotForex.com.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

HOW TO FIND HIGH PROBABILITY TRADES?

In my analysis from April 15th I wrote: We could see Gold retesting the resistance levels at 1198 and 1208. The latter coincides with the upper Bollinger Bands and should price rally there we’d be looking for momentum reversal signals close to it.

As we now know, Gold turned at the resistance and provided us with a great shorting opportunity!

Join me in today’s Live Analysis Webinar and learn how to identify similar opportunities over the coming few days. I will teach you how to analyse the markets successfully and how to read price action when entering and exiting your trades.

Twice a month we gather together to a Live Analysis Webinar to study the markets and recent price action. In these sessions I share my thoughts and analysis on currency pairs and teach our traders to understand what is important when looking for high probability trade setups. This is a great opportunity to watch and learn from what I share and get your questions answered. We’ve had excellent feed back from our traders on these sessions. I am convinced that you will benefit greatly by investing an hour of your time with the rest of us. Please, follow the link below and book your seat.

You are warmly welcome to join me to a Live Analysis Webinar at 1 pm GMT. Book your seat! The seats are limited so sign up now and log in early.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

NASDAQ 100 Futures Trading Below Resistance

Nasdaq, Weekly:

Nasdaq was the world’s first electronic stock market when it began trading in 1971. This is very fitting for a technology index that nowadays includes all the major technology names that have a global presence. In HotForex MT4 platform this index can be traded under the name of USA 100. The biggest stocks in this index include technology names such as Apple, Microsoft and Google. As these stocks are investment driven (when businesses invest in computers, software and infrastructure these companies do well) their price behaviour can be seen as an indication of things to come for the whole of the stock market. Technology is also the heaviest weighted sector in the S&P 500 index which means that movements in technology shares and Nasdaq will have a significant impact on S&P 500. Let’s see how Nasdaq index has been trading lately and what can we learn from its movements.

Since the end of 2012 this market has been trending strongly higher gaining over 60% since the end of 2012. Currently this index is trading close to this year’s highs just below the upper weekly Bollinger Bands. Nasdaq has moved sideways since the end of February and has found support from general region of November 2014 high. This has created a sideways move that is fairly similar to the sideways range that lasted from November 2014 to the beginning of February 2015. This suggests to me that this market is not weak but is slowly working its way higher.

Nasdaq, Daily:

Index is trading at the recent highs and therefore at resistance. Recent high at 4441.50 was able to resist the move higher this morning and index reacted lower at the time of writing. Stochastics, RSI and Money Flow index are right at or very close to overbought levels which means that taking long positions at current levels would be too risky. Market is very thin this time of day as the US main trading session is still hours away. This can make market more volatile than usually. The nearest daily support level is at 4320 while the lower Bollinger Bands are between this and the next support at 4259.

Nasdaq, 240 min:

The 4h chart reveals how Nasdaq has been moving higher in an upward channel whit the lower end of the channel coinciding with a pivot support at 4327.50. Now that index has broken the small bearish wedge that had developed overnight the next significant support level is in the region of 4327.50 to 4350 that coincide with the Bollinger Bands and the channel low. Currently price has attracted some buying at 50 period moving average but this should be considered as a minor support and should we get a rally to 4423 resistance and then a turn around to again to the south there is a good chance price will penetrate this support and move to 4350 or so.

Conclusion

In the longer term picture this market is trading close to the year 2000 highs and therefore momentum can be expected to be weaker than it has been over the year 2014. The Q1 2015 trading gives us some indication of what the price action might be like over the rest of the second quarter. Index has been moving sideways and then has broken above the previous resistance levels without huge rallies. Instead the next range has developed just above the previous one. This means that the support levels are close and this market might not be ready to have major correction lower but move gradually higher. As technology is the biggest (heaviest weighted) sector in S&P 500 it is likely that this lack of technical weakness will turn into strength with S&P 500 as well. Now that Fed is more dovish and crude oil has likely bottomed the energy sector stocks are recovering giving additional support for the US stock market.

In short term Nasdaq is weak as it has not been able to move above the resistance level at 4441.50 but rather corrected lower. Even though there has been some buying at the 50 period MA the major support levels are near the rising trend channel bottom. I am looking for a move to 4350 and then follow minor time frames for buy signals. However, firs this market might rally a bit and test the 4423 resistance. Should we get a rally to 4423 resistance and then a reversal there is a good chance price will penetrate the 50 MA support and move to 4350 or so.

Trade these levels only should the price action confirm my analysis. If you don’t know how to read price action, please join me to our free webinars and learn how to take your trading to the next level. Register and participate for FREE!

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

GBPUSD, Daily

The minutes noted that all members agreed that a repo rate hike was more likely than not over the three-year forecast period. The minutes also noted that two members regarded the decision as finely balanced (most likely the relatively hawkish-leaning Weale and McCafferty). The MPC also dropped the reference seen in the March minutes that the strength of sterling (which is up 15% y/y) could have potential to prolong the period for which CPI would remain below target, though it was noted that currency strength could curb exports and supress food prices.

The MPC now noted hat currency strength may have fed through quicker than expected, which could mean less downward pressure on prices to come and a faster pickup in inflation when the effects of recent falls in energy and food prices dropped out of y/y comparisons. Cable sprang over 70 pips on this, to five-day high of 1.5014. The 50-day moving average at 1.5037 and last Friday’s peak at 1.5053 provide the next upside markers. EUR-GBP fell back toward intraday lows under 0.7190, despite concurrent EUR-USD strength. Uncertainties about the May 7th general election should curb sterling’s upside potential, all else equal.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Coffee Futures Reacting Lower From Resistance

Coffee, Weekly

The last time I wrote about market moves in coffee the coffee futures were trading at 152.65 and based on the price action I suggested price should move lower and gave $145 and $125 as my downside targets. Since then target one was hit and price has moved as low as $128.80, close to the target II at $125. The first level was penetrated without any effort but then it turned into a resistance that has kept price capped for almost two months. Price of coffee found support at 161.8% Fibonacci extension level just above my target II at $125 and had a close outside the lower Bollinger Bands. Since then we’ve seen this market moving sideways inside the Bollinger Bands with roughly equal highs at $147. Price has made higher lows suggesting pressure is building against this resistance level.

Coffee, Daily

The 50 period MA is still pointing lower while price of coffee struggles to close and stay above the $144.92 level. Stochastics are overbought and price has created a shooting star candle right at resistance which coincides with 100% Fibonacci extension level. Also, a regression channel drawn from the November 2014 high comes into play here. Price is trading right at the upper end of the channel adding to the bearish picture. The next important support levels are at 136.80 and 131.95.

Coffee, 240 min

Price has been trending higher in a channel since the April 14th low. Now that price is moving lower again the lower end of the channel could provide some support as the 50 period MA and lower Bollinger Bands are relatively close to it. The rising trendline is currently at $140.45 while the 50 MA is at $139 and the 1.5 stdv lower Bollinger Band is at 139.12. In addition, there is a level that used to be a resistance roughly at $138.20. Stochastics are approaching the lower end of the range.

Conclusion

This two month sideways move suggests that supply and demand are now more balanced than at the time of my previous analysis on Coffee. Price moved almost to my target level at $125 but then turned around and has been challenging the $145 in several occasions. This could imply that the market participants wanted to cover their short positions before this important $125 support level and are now looking to take the market higher but the latest price action suggests there is still more weakness to come in Coffee. Short term picture is also negative as price has reacted lower from the resistance. I am therefore in a ‘sell rallies mode’ and look to benefit from the downside momentum. Here are my short term targets: target 1 at $138.20 and target 2 at $132. If price breaks below the sideways range a longer term downside target 1 is at $115.

Trade these levels only should the price action confirm my analysis. If you don’t know how to read price action, please join me to our free webinars and learn how to take your trading to the next level. Visit our website to register and participate for FREE

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

To view more visit HotForex Analysis Page at analysis.hotforex.com

Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD, Daily

Earlier today THE Euro was the strongest currency against the US dollar with a gain of over 0.60%. This rally failed as EURUSD moved to a level where the upper Bollinger Bands and 50 day moving average coincided. Now the pair given up most of the gains and is hovering above yesterday’s close. The nearest daily support and resistance levels are at 1.0667 and 1.0900. If the pair closes below 1.0840, today’s candle will be a shooting star candle but there is some intraday 4h support at 1.0804 region (a previous resistance level) so price might fluctuate a bit more before finding direction.

Currency Pairs, Grouped Performance (% Change)

GBP has been rallying against the dollar since yesterday as the BoE minutes suggested the bank might be raising rates over the coming three year period. NZD has been weak RBNZ since assistant Governor John McDermott said yesterday the bank will ensure that the monetary policy is stimulatory to support output growth above potential and help lift inflation back to target. He said that at present they are not considering any increase in interest rates.

Main Macro Events Today

• Eurogroup leaders’ gathering: no great expectations in terms of breakthrough on Greece.
  • The German Ifo index jumped to 108.6 in April: stronger than expected current conditions reading and rising confidence in the manufacturing sector, while retail sentiment fell back somewhat.
  • US March Durable goods orders: strong headline print on durables, the ex-transport component disappointed.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

USD Gaining Slightly Againts The Major Currencies

EURUSD, Daily

The pair found support from the 1.0804 intraday support and rallied a little bit higher on Friday before failing to penetrate the 1.0900 resistance. Now that we have the FOMC meeting coming this week it might well be that market participants aren’t prepared to make strong directional commitments before they’ve seen the Fed press release. Therefore getting through this resistance might be a bit difficult before this release. The 50 day SMA and upper Bollinger Bands are right above the resistance level and Stochastic Oscillator is overbought with the nearest daily support level currently at 1.0667. At the time of writing EURUSD is trading at 1.0828 support level. There isn’t much in terms of economic releases today. This could lead to subdued trading conditions in USD pairs.

USD is up against the majors but there are no single big movers in the USD pairs this morning. The same applies to most of the currency pairs with AUDCHF being an exception with 50 basis points move. After rallying strongly GBP has been slightly weaker against all the others but AUD. Sterling has been benefitting from the recent growth in the UK economy and now that the Fed has turned dovish, it is attracting money. After last week’s BoE minutes, market participants expect the BoE to be one of the first banks to raise rates, while most central banks are looking to drive their currencies lower with loose monetary policies and quantitative easing. US data is expected to be soft in the second quarter as well, which suggests that the will be no Fed rate hikes in the June meeting. Market participants look forward to the Fed’s mid-week press release for further clues on how the Fed sees the US economy developing. It is likely that the tune will stay carefully dovish but there probably will be no further clarity for the timing of the timing of the rate hikes.

Main Macro Events Today

• German April import price inflation rose to -1.4% y/y: The previous figure was -3.0% y/y, weaker EUR is pushing prices higher.
  • US Markit Services PMI (April)
  • RBA’s Governor Glenn Stevens Speech
  • Japan Large retailers’ Sales (March)
  • Japan Retail Trade (y/y) (March)

Click here to access the full HotForex Economic calendar.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD, Daily

U.S. consumer confidence defied April gains in all other major confidence measures with a drop to 95.2 from a slightly revised 101.4 (was 101.3) in March, while cycle high was at 103.8 January. This measure was impacted by the recent bounce in gasoline prices and the petro-sector recession. This helped the USD to move lower and EURUSD higher into the resistance area. EURUSD is now trading above the 50 day SMA and inside the upper Bollinger Bands. Current price action takes place in proximity of the level (1.1035) that was able to turn the pair lower. Nearest support and resistance levels are at 1.0848 and 1.1035. EURUSD is moving higher for the 5th day in a row, which means that we are getting closer to the point where this market will correct lower. Therefore, price action around the release of FOMC statement should be monitored closely. This is the fourth time the market moves this high and towards the 1.1035 resistance after creating a higher low on April 13th. This lowers the probabilities of price reacting lower from the same resistance level. Therefore we should be careful and not take it granted that the market will turn lower from the same levels again. It could rally higher before reacting lower again. We should trade what we see, not what we expect.

This morning GBP has been strong and AUD weak. Sterling has advanced most against the Australian dollar and New Zealand dollar while Australian dollar’s weakness has been evident across the board. This has a lot to do with the yesterday’s AUDUSD rally taking the pair to proximity of important resistance level at 0.8033. GBPAUD hit support yesterday at 1.9100 and is now reacting higher from the level. AUDCAD hit my 0.9636 target yesterday and is now reacting lower from the Bollinger Bands above it. AUDCHF has also reached a daily pivot and is ranging in intraday time frames.

Main Macro Events Today

NZ Business Confidence: Strong economic growth and low inflation expectations kept confidence at elevated levels even though the measure declined from 35.8% to 30.2%US Advance GDP q/q: The first quarter GDP growth is likely to be 0.8% in its first release (the Q4 2014 growth was at 2.2%). Market risk is to the downside as weaker report could delay Fed’s first rate hike.FOMC Statement: The Fed has indicated that it will stay data dependent. September is the first likely date for a rate hike.Federal Funds Rate: No changes expected.RBNZ Interest Rate Decision and Monetary Policy Statement: On April 22ndRBNZ Assistant Governor John McDermott said the bank will ensure that monetary policy is stimulatory to support output growth above potential and help lift inflation back to target. He said that at present they are not considering any increase interest rates.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Wheat Bullish At Major Support

Wheat, Weekly

US wheat hit five year low yesterday and bounced higher as traders covered the shorts. Over the last few weeks wheat has moved lower even with dryness in the southern Plains. Now with some rain in the south the dryness worries in the north west of the country could help this bounce to turn into an uptrend. Since failing to penetrate resistance at 544 in the beginning April wheat futures have moved lower. Now that weekly Stochastics are getting oversold price is trading right above an important support level. In fact, price has bounced from 466 support yesterday suggesting that there is more upside than downside potential in this market.

Wheat, Daily

Yesterday’s rally from 466 support created a bullish hammer candle while Stochastics are showing clear bullish divergence. A pivot low from beginning of March capped yesterday’s trading in wheat and price has since then been moving right below this 478 resistance. There is some resistance at 485’5 while the next significant daily resistance area has been created between 495 and 504 by Fibonacci retracement levels and a pivot candle. In addition, the 50 day SMA is hovering at 505’7 at the time of writing.

Wheat, 240 min

In intraday charts Stochastics is overbought which ties together with the price stalling at minor resistance (478’2). As the longer term (weekly) support is just at yesterday’s low it is likely that smaller time frame resistances like this will get broken. The 50% Fibonacci level coincides with the 485’5 level and therefore suggests that in the short term picture this retracement level is more significant than others. The last completed 4h candle is another hammer pointing to higher prices.

Conclusion

Wheat is trading above support created in 2010 and bounced significantly higher the last time it touched this level. Now price action indicates that US wheat will move higher over the coming days and weeks. My short term T1 at 485’5 and T2 at 500. For those interested in longer term trading the 500 level could well be T1 and 530 T2. This bullish view would be negated if price moved below the 466 support with no signs of quick recovery.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD, Daily

EURUSD traded pretty much according to what I anticipated. I wrote yesterday: This is the fourth time the market moves this high and towards the 1.1035 resistance after creating a higher low on April 13th. This lowers the probabilities of price reacting lower from the same resistance level. Therefore we should be careful and not take it granted that the market will turn lower from the same levels again. It could rally higher before reacting lower again.

The dollar plunged through the morning session, after much weaker Q1 GDP data dented sentiment, doubly so ahead of an FOMC announcement that was already expected to lean on the dovish side. EUR-USD opened just under 1.1000, and made its way to 1.1188 highs ahead of the Fed. The pair eased back slightly ahead of the statement release, before falling back on the Fed’s downgraded economic outlook, and on general profit taking. The high of 1.1188 in EURUSD was the low of 94.75 in DXY. This low coincided with a previous low and a support level from March 18th. At the time of writing EURUSD is moving above yesterday’s high and approaching the next resistance.

The JPY strength was the theme earlier this morning. Weakest pairs throughout the morning were AUDJPY, CADJPY and NZDJPY. AUDJPY hit a resistance and is now reacting lower from it CADJPY is also reacting lower from a resistance but does not look as weak as AUDJPY. NZDJPY is trading at 50 SMA and close to lower Bollinger Bands and pivotal support. Now at the time of publishing this report it is the AUD weakness that dominates the picture while EUR has been rising against the majors with EURAUD up by over 1.5%.

Main Macro Events Today

NZ Official Cash Rate: OCR remained unchanged at 3.5%. According to governor Wheeler it would be appropriate to lower the OCR if demand weakens, and wage and price-setting outcomes settle at levels lower than is consistent with the inflation target.
BoJ Monetary Policy Statement: BoJ left policy unchanged and maintained the Y80 tln annual increase in the monetary base.
German Retail Sales m/m: March retail sales unexpectedly declined 2.3% m/m, against expectations for a rebound from the dip in February, which was revised to -0.1% m/m from -0.5% m/m reported initially.
German Unemployment Change: Stabilising growth is helping labour markets across the Eurozone. German jobless numbers dropped 8K (median -10K) in April, which left the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate unchanged at 6.4%, as expected. The German economy is strengthening and jobless rates are at very low levels, which together with the pick up in demand will ensure sizeable wage gains this year.
Eurozone CPI y/y: No big change expected. Previous figure -0.1%.
Canadian GDP: a fall of 0.1% in February is likely after the 0.1% drop in January. Forecast risk is to the downside given the hefty declines seen across manufacturing and drop in wholesale. Energy remains the wildcard. The BoC expects flat GDP in Q1, so an as-expected report would roughly back that outlook and have no impact on the policy projection.
US Unemployment claims: Initial claims data should reveal a 290k headline, down from 295k last week and 294k in the week of April 11th. We saw the usual seasonal volatility around the Easter Holiday and claims in April look poised to average a higher 292k from 285k in March and 206k in February.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD, Daily

EURUSD traded pretty much according to what I anticipated. I wrote yesterday: This is the fourth time the market moves this high and towards the 1.1035 resistance after creating a higher low on April 13th. This lowers the probabilities of price reacting lower from the same resistance level. Therefore we should be careful and not take it granted that the market will turn lower from the same levels again. It could rally higher before reacting lower again.

The dollar plunged through the morning session, after much weaker Q1 GDP data dented sentiment, doubly so ahead of an FOMC announcement that was already expected to lean on the dovish side. EURUSD opened just under 1.1000, and made its way to 1.1188 highs ahead of the Fed. The pair eased back slightly ahead of the statement release, before falling back on the Fed’s downgraded economic outlook, and on general profit taking. The high of 1.1188 in EURUSD was the low of 94.75 in DXY. This low coincided with a previous low and a support level from March 18th. At the time of writing EURUSD is moving above yesterday’s high and approaching the next resistance.

The JPY strength was the theme earlier this morning. Weakest pairs throughout the morning were AUDJPY, CADJPY and NZDJPY. AUDJPY hit a resistance and is now reacting lower from it CADJPY is also reacting lower from a resistance but does not look as weak as AUDJPY. NZDJPY is trading at 50 SMA and close to lower Bollinger Bands and pivotal support. Now at the time of publishing this report it is the AUD weakness that dominates the picture while EUR has been rising against the majors with EURAUD up by over 1.5%.

Main Macro Events Today

NZ Official Cash Rate: OCR remained unchanged at 3.5%. According to governor Wheeler it would be appropriate to lower the OCR if demand weakens, and wage and price-setting outcomes settle at levels lower than is consistent with the inflation target.
BoJ Monetary Policy Statement: BoJ left policy unchanged and maintained the Y80 tln annual increase in the monetary base.
German Retail Sales m/m: March retail sales unexpectedly declined 2.3% m/m, against expectations for a rebound from the dip in February, which was revised to -0.1% m/m from -0.5% m/m reported initially.
German Unemployment Change: Stabilising growth is helping labour markets across the Eurozone. German jobless numbers dropped 8K (median -10K) in April, which left the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate unchanged at 6.4%, as expected. The German economy is strengthening and jobless rates are at very low levels, which together with the pick up in demand will ensure sizeable wage gains this year.
Eurozone CPI y/y: No big change expected. Previous figure -0.1%.
Canadian GDP: a fall of 0.1% in February is likely after the 0.1% drop in January. Forecast risk is to the downside given the hefty declines seen across manufacturing and drop in wholesale. Energy remains the wildcard. The BoC expects flat GDP in Q1, so an as-expected report would roughly back that outlook and have no impact on the policy projection.
US Unemployment claims: Initial claims data should reveal a 290k headline, down from 295k last week and 294k in the week of April 11th. We saw the usual seasonal volatility around the Easter Holiday and claims in April look poised to average a higher 292k from 285k in March and 206k in February.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

EURJPY, Weekly

As EURUSD moved higher last week, EURJPY rallied very strongly and reached the February highs. Last week’s close was inside the weekly pivot candle from February this year, roughly the same area that was earlier defined by October 2014 pivot low. As reaction to previous pivot levels and today’s price action now proves this area has psychological significance. The nearest support and resistance levels are 131.30 and 136.85. The 50% Fibonacci level coincides roughly with the 131.30 support. This is quite far away from the current price and therefore suggests current levels are good for those looking for shorting opportunities. Earlier today EURUSD has been reacting lower from a resistance while JPY has been slightly stronger than its peers across the board. With EURJPY also trading lower from a resistance this should be a good time to be bearish on EUR and bullish on JPY.

EURJPY, Daily

On Friday EURJPY hit resistance just above 135.02 and turned lower. This resistance was created by a pivot candle from February 11th and now price is trading 0.49% below the close from Friday. Stochastics is overbought and about to roll over while the pair has been trading outside the Bollinger Bands and is now edging close to the upper 2 stdv band. A close below the band would be a further confirmation of bearish mood in EURJPY. The nearest daily support level is at 131.29 with the 50% Fibonacci level and 50 day SMA not that far behind at 130.75 and 130.32 respectively. Movements below 38.2% Fibonacci level at 131.81 should be monitored for momentum reversal signals.

EURJPY, 240 min

As the pair has moved lower the Stochastic Oscillator has declined to overbought levels. However price is now trading below 134.23, a level that used to be an intraday support and should now act as a resistance. Nearest intraday support level is at 132.46 where lower Bollinger Bands and an old channel high coincide. The next support area consists of April 6th pivotal resistance area between 130.40 and 131.29. Currently the 50 period SMA is also inside area.

Conclusion

The pair is overbought in higher timeframes and in resistance which indicates it’s time for it to correct lower. At the time of writing EUR is weak against all the major currencies while JPY is holding up against all the others but CAD. This combined with the technical weakness in EURJPY suggests that the trading opportunities in this pair are in the downside. EURUSD being weak at resistance is also supporting the bearish view. My target one in for short term trades is at 131.50 and target 2 at 130.40.

Trade these levels only if price action at the levels confirms my analysis. If you don’t know how to read price action, please join me to our free webinars and learn how to take your trading to the next level. Participate for FREE!

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.

Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD, Daily

On May the 1st I wrote: EUR is strong across the board this morning but at some point reversion to mean kicks in and this market will react lower. EURUSD started turning lower that very same day and has been moving lower since. It is breaking intraday supports and honouring resistance levels. Stochastics are rolling over and price is trading inside the Bollinger Bands. At the time of writing the pair is at 23.6% Fibonacci level that coincides with April 30th daily lows. The 1.1035 to 1.1052 support area is a likely target on the downside if the 23.6% level is violated. Yesterday was light on economic releases. US factory orders bounced 2.1% in March, right in line with median expectations versus -0.1% in February.

As I suggested last week the US Dollar index has been strong since DXY hit support at 94.91 and after a slow start it has moved higher over the last couple of days. The AUD strength that followed the 0.25% rate cut has been a surprise and has raised eye brows on Bloomberg TV this morning. Aussie dollar is strong across the board with EUR, CAD and CHF being the weakest currencies against it. EUR being weak against everything else probably isn’t any surprise to regular readers of Currency Movers report. EURUSD trading lower from a resistance level has been dragging the other EUR pairs lower with it and this has created trading opportunities in these pairs. One of them was EURJPY which I analysed in yesterday’s Multi Time Frame article. GBP pairs have not moved much yet but with the election looming just a couple days from now there could be some more volatility ahead. EURGBP looks interesting as it rallied so strongly over the last week. After hitting my target range of 0.7376 to 0.7422 the pair has turned lower and could provide further opportunities for short term traders with volatility likely staying high.

Main Macro Events Today

RBA Cash Rate: The RBA cut the cash rate by 25 bp to a record low of 2.0%, as was largely expected. A reference to the currency in the statement gets to the crux, that a further fall in the Australian dollar is necessary. The RBA would have been discomforted by last week’s surge in AUD-USD to a three-month high at 0.8075. The central bank also cites weakness in capital expenditure as a key risk, and notes that spare capacity will remain in the economy for some time.
Spanish Unemployment is expected to drop by 64.8k compared to previous change of -60.2k.
UK Construction PMI isseento stay almost unchanged. Median figure points to a slight 0.2 point dip.
CAD Trade Balance is projected to improve to a C$0.9 bln deficit in March from the C$1.0 bln shortfall in February.US Trade Balance islikely to increase by 25% to -$44.5 bln in March (median -$40.3bln) from -$35.4 bln in February.
US ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI is expected to hold steady from 56.5 in April. This compares to a recent high of 58.8 in November.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.

Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD, Daily

Thursday morning I expected to see a move lower and then buyers stepping in between 1.1290 and 1.1223. The pair moved lower as expected and then signalled buys inside this range but there was no follow through and the lack of momentum turned to further down move. Currently EURUSD is trading at the May 5th daily highs. There has been again some attempt to take the pair higher but intraday resistance levels have halted the moves so far. As the time of Non-Farm Payrolls release is getting closer market reactions are likely to be subdued until the figures are released. As we have seen over this year NFP figure is capable of surprising both the markets and analysts. This figure can be in line or it can deviate strongly from the expectations. As there is no way of know what the figure will be and what the market reaction to this unknown figure is likely to be, committing to a trade beforehand is not recommendable. We should only trade when probabilities are on our side.

At the time of writing EURUSD is trading at a daily high from May 5th and has created a 4h hammer candle after it bounced higher from the 50 period SMA. In the daily picture the current price action takes place close to the upper Bollinger Bands and near February sideways range. The weekly candle with current price close to the Monday’s opening price suggests weakness over the coming few days. A strong rally higher would quite obviously negate this view. In 4h timeframe the Stochastic Oscillator is oversold while in daily chart Stochastics are rolling over from the overbought levels. This fits together with price wedging at resistance. Momentum has slowed down and I expect price needs to move lower before finding a level from which to bounce higher again. Region near weekly closing value (from end of March) at 1.0960 would be an interesting level to look for signals for long trades. Significant support levels for the pair are: 1.1035, 1.0970 and 1.0848 (50 day SMA close at 1.10867), while significant resistance levels are at 1.1400 and 1.1480.

Changes have been nominal ahead of the Non-Farm Payrolls release. AUD has still been slightly stronger than others while GBP strength that we saw earlier today has eased a bit. JPY weakness is understandable as USDJPY has made a higher low yesterday and has moved nicely higher today.

Main Macro Events Today

- US Non-Farm Payrolls are likely to increase by 225k for April. An improvement over the 126k March headline but still lower than the 264k headline in February. The unemployment rate should tick down to 5.4% from 5.5% in March. The data should help underpin the dollar’s yield advantage over the euro following recent narrowing.
- Canadian Employment is expected to rise 15.0k in April (median is for no change) after the 28.7k gain in March. Employment managed to put together a solid total gain in March, but the details were weak. Business confidence remains subdued, suggesting a risk for a very modest jobs gain or outright decline in April that undershoots our estimates.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Today’s Currency Movers

EURUSD, Daily

The euro is consolidating in early week trade after logging a three-month high against the dollar at 1.1466 on Friday. EURJPY and other euro crosses have also shown a similar price action. Recent signs of green shoots in economic vitality in the euro area and the associated view that the ECB may be obliged to taper its QE program at some point has supported euro. In addition, an optimistic view on the Greece situation, has helped to maintain the euro’s underpinning. In April Draghi said that the European Central Bank has no plans to curb or curtail its money-printing programme although it expects euro zone economic recovery to broaden and strengthen. Another likely reason for EURUSD strength has been the soft macro data coming from the US. From retail sales to PPI and Consumer Sentiment figures the data have been softer than expected.

Since last Tuesday EURUSD has rallied strongly and reached the proximity of 1.1480 resistance. After rising for four days the pair has reacted lower and is at the time of writing attracting buyers at 1.1370 intraday support. This level is also a daily candle high from 6th of May. With support levels being fairly close to the current prices a major correction lower without strong external event is not looking very likely. Therefore, after moves to support levels we should monitor price action for long entry signals. Daily close from 6th May coincides roughly with Friday’s low of 1.1324 and therefore is the nearest support level in the daily chart. Other support levels are at 1.1206 to 1.1232 (a 23.6% Fibonacci level) and 1.1035 to 1.1084 (a 38.6% Fibonacci level). The nearest resistances are 1.1480 and 1.1534. EURUSD is trading close to a resistance level but seems like it might be trying to push higher. However, as the weekly high of 1.1534 is relatively close it is better to trade the long side with a short term expectation only and monitor price action closely.

Since the weekly close on Friday the 15th May we’ve seen USD and JPY weakness and EUR strength against the other major currencies. GBP has been also gaining against the majors but not as strongly as EUR. Today’s action has been a bit subdued with USD gaining against the others and EUR being strong only against the NZD. The latter has been weak pretty much against all the currencies today. Markets have been quiet this morning as we’ve only seen the early hours trading of the first day of the trading week with not much macro data to move the market.

Main Macro Events Today

Japan’s Tertiary Index, agauge of services fell by 1.0% m/m in March. Contraction was deeper than expected (-0.5%) after the 0.4% m/m gain in February.
Japan Industrial Production fell 0.8% m/m in March (consensus -0.3%) while y/y drop was 1.7% after the previous drop of 1.2%.
Switzerland Real Retail Sales surprised to the downside in March with a bigger than expected drop of 2.8% (consensus -2.0%).
NAHB Housing Market Index: no major change expected from last figures.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

EURGBP Bottoming

EURGBP, Weekly

I wrote in April 30th saying that supply and demand seem to be in balance and that there is an attempt to create a market bottom but this pair however probably needs more consolidation before it’s completed. This far EURGBP has moved pretty much according to this script and is still supporting the view that this market is creating a base from which to move higher over the coming weeks.

After reacting lower from a resistance week before, the last week’s move higher was strong and created a weekly hammer candle. As sellers are strongly outnumbered by the buyers at the low of the weekly bar and price closes near the weekly highs, this is really a bullish sign that points to serious buying interest at the last week’s lows. Also, since the beginning of March this market has been creating higher weekly lows, yet another sign of buyers being decisive on EURGBP. The nearest support and resistance levels are at 0.7123 and 0.7405 with the next one at 0.7483. The 23.6% resistance level happens to be in almost in the middle of this range at 0.7431.

EURGBP, Daily

After moving higher for three days EURGBP is taking a breather. Price has moved above the 50 day moving average and is now trading near the middle of the recent price range. This is also evidenced by the Stochastics being just below the 50 level. This is a sideways market and therefore the best opportunities exist near the edges of the range. Therefore levels closer to the recent low of 0.7123 are attractive for those looking to open long positions. However, we need to study 4h charts in order to find potential levels as daily chart doesn’t give a detailed enough picture on levels below current price action.

EURGBGP, 240 min

Since Friday night price has been moving sideways and is trading close to 0.7240 support at the time of writing. This level coincides with a 50 period SMA. This level has potential to hold the market as there has not been much of downside thrust and volatility as measured by ATR (7) is low. However, should this level fail the next support level at 0.7202 is more significant as it coincides with the 50% Fibonacci level and the lower Bollinger Bands. The nearest 4h resistance level is at 0.7312.

Conclusion:

EURGBP is in a bottoming process after hitting a support that used to be a resistance level over a multiple of years. Last week’s hammer candle together with higher weekly lows at support points to buyers being willing to step in and drive the prices higher. Therefore, levels close to the lows of the current range are attractive and should the price correct to these levels again we should be looking for price action that justifies long entries. Currently price is trading at 0.7240 support which could be interesting for those trading markets intraday. I am interested in long trades at intraday support levels below the midway of the current range with following targets: Target 1 at 0.7312, Target 2 at 0.7370 and Target 3 at 0.7480.

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex

Silver Close Completion Of A Bottoming Process

Silver, Weekly

Silver has now broken out of the bear channel. The breakout was preceded by a consolidation that started in December 2014 and lead to market creating higher lows at the weekly Bollinger bands. Currently Silver is trading relatively close to the upper Bollinger bands and has reacted lower from them and 50 week SMA. The 38.2% Fibonacci level that coincides roughly with weekly closing high from March has supported price this week. Support levels: 16.97, 16.36 and 15.55. Resistance levels: 17.77 and 18.50.

Silver, Daily

The move lower from the 17.77 resistance was a strong one. This one day move eroded more than three day’s gains. This suggests that there could be more downside volatility in store. The area from 16.37 to 16.60 looks interesting as a support level and a 50% Fibonacci level coincide with a sideways consolidation and an apex of a triangle formation. This area also coincides with the descending trendline that is now likely to provide support after resisting price moves higher earlier. Support levels: 16.88, 16.60 to 16.37 and 15.85. Resistance levels: 17.48 and 17.77.

Silver, 240 min

Lately the price of Silver has been finding support at 50 period SMA and the region of 17.00 dollars but the higher time frame picture hints the downside is not yet over and the best buy levels should therefore be at lower levels. The 16.60 level used to resist moves higher and Silver should therefore attract buyers if price moves to the level. At the time of writing Stochastics indicator is rolling over and suggests the downside momentum is resuming.

Conclusion

The long term picture is positive with Silver now trading above the descending trend channel. This market has consolidated, created higher weekly lows and now broken above the down trendline. Such action indicates that the bottoming formation is near its completion. Short term price is still relatively close to the upper end of the range and weekly Bollinger bands. This suggests that the best low risk buy opportunities are lower. I look for buy signals in the region of 16.37 to 16.60 where several technical factors come together. My targets for short term trades from the above mention region are 17.00 (T1), 17.48 (T2) and 18.00 (T3).

Janne Muta
Chief Market Analyst
HotForex