Dentistry and Forex - an odd match

This thread is dedicated to off topic discussions about dentistry and maybe even the odd question about dental problems.

Is it better to brush your teeth before or after sex?

Both. Best way to do that is by having sex before and after brushing your teeth.

And also trade while this?:eek:

Well, dear fellow FX-Man, I’d theorize that brushing before might increase your chances of actually getting to have sex. :smiley:

Brushing afterwards might be something one wants to do when having regrets about what/who one just did. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does fluoride cause cancer?

Since the benefits of fluoride in toothpaste and mouth rinses is so big, it’s important to try to dispense with the disinformation spread by a few pseudo-science people.

Here are two links for instance that both show that high quality truly scientific studies show no link whatsoever between fluoride and cancer:

[B]PubMed[/B], the biggest medical science database in the world: Fluoride exposure and childhood osteosarcoma: a case-control study.

Evidence-based Dentistry, a sub-division of the highly regarded [B]Nature[/B] scientific publication: Evidence-Based Dentistry - No association between water fluoridation and mortality from cancer

In conclusion, the many benefits of fluoridating toothpaste and mouth rinses have been proven. The anti fluoride people have failed to prove anything at all of what they claim.

In Sweden we don’t use water fluoridation as some states in the US do, but my point is that fluoride is, to the best of scientific knowledge today, safe to use.

Now go brush your teeth! :wink:

All right, as promised some info on what it’s like being a dentist in Sweden. This post is directed at Aserat.

Around 1/3-1/2 of the dentists in Sweden are going into retirement within the coming ten years. Sweden trains far to few dentists to stand a chance at filling these vacancies.

The job market in Sweden for dentists is therefor hard to beat. Unemployment does not exist, literally everyone who wants a job has one - it has been this way for almost ten years and there’s no end in sight, in fact it keeps getting better for us dentists.
There are many vacancies all around in the country, fewer in the big cities but overall hundreds of dentist positions are vacant.

Salary wise, a fresh out of university dentist will be able to get anywhere from 3500€ up towards 4000+$ in the public dental care system depending on many factors such as difficulty to recruit for the position, etc.

After taxes and everything else, that translates to very roughly 2600€ - 3100€ per month.

In Norway the shortage is even worse and salaries are often 50% higher than in Sweden. Mind the climate though… Sweden is at least livable and the south where I live is similar to Northern Germany.

Back when I graduated I was planning to take my wife and move to the UK where dentists also are handsomely paid. So we went on a scouting trip and after that we decided that it wasn’t worth it. Sure, more money, but working conditions and the standards of quality put me off. I’m not interested in working myself into a pile of money if my health goes down the drain at the same time.
In Sweden I’d say that standards are very high and working conditions are also very good. The major pain here is the amount of administration that is required, but hey there’s got to be something to complain about huh.

If jobs are scarce and salaries unacceptable, you should probably be open to working abroad. Not just Sweden, there are many interesting countries you can choose, like The Netherlands, Switzerland, the UK, Norway, Sweden to name a few.

I realize this sounds like a recruitment ad, it’s not. I just reacted to the situation for dentists in Spain and wanted to point out that you can get much better conditions elsewhere.

Hello Magnus!

Thank you a lot for devoting me some time :slight_smile:

A lot of students are just accepting what they get and it’s a good option for those who are tied to their country.

I’m more open minded and while I think it would be hard at first to not have beloved ones around, I could truly consider leaving Spain.

As I consider myself very pragmatic, I know that living in some of the countries you propose would benefit me and my partner more than the drawbacks associated (mostly lack of sun and heat! :p).

Indeed the description you do about dentistry in Sweden is just the opposite of our current situation… graduated dentists tend to find a job in mid-term but only in franchises (who do not demand previous experience) or in another dentist office, but exploited regardless.

Overall the level of dentistry here is not bad, but I tend to see overtreatments and sadly, not the majority practise dentistry with a medical/dental care mindset but a pure business.

I’m not afraid about learning Swedish, I’m sure it would take a while but I’m sure I can learn anything given enough time :D.

I’ve been to Stockholm last summer but didn’t had the chance to be in contact with anyone as I was only 1 day there and was running up and down the city trying to visit all I could. What I wanted to ask you about is the people… try to describe a little what is characteristic about Swede. I’m fed up of the topic about “toreros”, “paella” and “sevillanas” when tourists come here, so who could be better describing how you are!

I’m interested because for example, there’s the possibility of friendly and gentle people that get upset when a foreigner goes to live next to them. Not exactly racism but, you know, those who don’t like immigration.

I’m so glad I’m meeting very interesting people here in babypips!

My apologies. I truly thought this was thread was a bit of a prank of sorts. Did not realize it had serious intentions. I’d almost apologize for my initial question if it wasn’t for the fact that it still makes me chuckle a bit. :slight_smile:

Fear not MG.

It’s part of BabyPips protocol to introduce levity;)

[B]Rule #6 - Have fun. If you don’t throw in a corny joke with your posts, it will get deleted…just kidding! But do try to have fun![/B]

How many dentists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Just one.

But if the old one is bad, he may need the help of an oral surgeon…

rim shot

I have complied with the site rules:P

No worries! :slight_smile:

Swedes are commonly described as quiet, slightly shy people who keep to themselves and are hard to get to know.

This is in part true and it probably has to do with our history. Swedes have never lived “crowded” and this probably shows a bit. This is changing with the younger generation (my generation) that is much more social and friendly and travels a lot.

Unlike many other countries, no rasist party has yet managed to get into our parliament. Sweden has also received many immigrants from many different countries and so there’s a good cultural mix, especially in the bigger cities.

Many say, and I agree, that Swedes and British are a bit similar in mentality, sense of humour etc. One major difference though is that the UK is a very segregated society which we do not quite have yet in the same way although we’re definitely going in that direction.

Rasism does of course exist but mostly as some people are frustrated at the fact that Sweden has taken in huge numbers of refugees over the years. It’s not a general trait in our society though, but of course it does exist. There’s relatively less of it here than in many other countries I would say, Swedes have generally pretty OK lives and so there’s not so much anger or blame to be placed. I think racism is coupled strongly to poverty and that’s probably why there’s so little of it here.

Immigrants from Europe and especially the EU will not face any prejudices.

I don’t think you’d need to worry about not feeling welcome here. Making friends shouldn’t be a problem either, there are many clubs and organizations and hobbies etc.

As an example, in my Dentistry class we had people from: Sweden, Colombia, China, Chile, Greece, Serbia, Macedonia, Iran, Lebanon, El Salvador (I think it was) and nobody cared at all where anyone came from.

I’m not sure if this was what you wanted to know? Ask again if I misunderstood. :slight_smile:

the pay surprises me, I thought it would be much more. My impression is that here in the states, dentists like all doctors make mega bucks.

A local dentist has agree to make fitted dracula fang teeth for free for a local non profit theater for halloween.

The construction of the Swedish society is very different from the US, for both better and worse. As a result it’s not that easy to simply compare the salaries. You have to take into account things like pension schemes (you call them 401K?), insurance, health care etc etc that US dentists have to pay for themselves.

In private practice in Sweden of course it’s just a matter of how hard you’re willing to work, 10K € per month can be done but would leave little time and energy for forex… :slight_smile:

I’m currently looking at some different options career-wise and who knows, maybe I’ll end up in private practice although I’ve turned down several offers so far.

Plus, remember I was talking about first job fresh out of uni salaries… They do go up after that, even in Sweden :smiley:

Hillary needs dental work!
(Actually, Hillary needs a lot more than just dental work.)

MacGyver, please forgive the interruption. I just couldn’t resist posting this pic.

LOL, I have a really good Hillary joke but maybe post it in a new thread.

Clint, I could swear someone photoshopped Nancy Pelosi’s mouth on Hillary’s face there…

:stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t do it. Honest, officer.

Hmm, seems like she’s suffering from a very nasty affliction: bloodsuckeritis taxpayerisis.

Can only be cured once every four years… and not by the dentist :smiley: