Virginia Earthquake hits the BabyPips.com HQ

Greetings to all!

Today’s earthquake, felt by much of the eastern coast of the United States was centered only 41 miles away from our home base in Richmond, VA. The walls were shaking and the floor was rumbling. It sounded like a big-rig truck was coming through the back wall of the office. We grabbed what was close and ran outside, along with all of our neighbors who stared in bewilderment.

It was definitely a crazy moment, one which I won’t forget anytime soon.

Did any of you feel the ground under your feet shake uncontrollably today? Share your experience!

Pipstradamus

I have a couple of friends in NYC right now, who posted on facebook that they were a bit disappointed that unfortunately they didn’t feel it. He posted that it just felt like a normal rumble of activity in the hotel.

We had one here several years back, and I totally agree it sounded like big truck coming down the street…we have a streetside office and accustomed to hearing lots of traffic noise, but this was a bit different. Nothing fell off the walls or anything, and aside from some of us rolling a bit about on our wheelie chairs in our cubicles, some felt a little dizzy like they were having a bout of vertigo. Mostly everyone just looked at each other and wondered if what just happened was what they thought just happened. Then we got the word to head outside…not a drill that time. It’s good to have drills I think.

Glad to hear it wasn’t serious and everyone’s alright :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing. I think an earthquake in NYC is definitely a different experience for those who have lived and worked through 9/11, much different than what folks anywhere else would feel. We too have friends who were high up in office buildings (24th floor for one such friend) and felt the quake, and others on the ground who didn’t. Very strange, these east coast earthquakes.

This is earthquake #2 for the BabyPips office. Let’s hope they stay at the same strength (or less!) and frequency of occurrence.

Pipstradamus

Here at the Palacial Viper Ranch and Estate, in rural Wake County NC, the Mules were acting up, and Beau and Lee started howling, I went outside and bam, sounded like a huge rumbling, everything shook, then it subsided, afterwards there was such a silence, no birds, or anything, everything was dead quiet, really weird.

The Ever Watching Hurricane Irene

P/S Lived though and did relief work after Andrew, hoping no one gets hurt during Irene

I did feel it. I live in an apartment building, and I was watching CNBC and reading some charts on my couch. Suddenly i felt the couch start moving and wondered if that was just because I was just dizzy. I hadn’t hat much to eat…

I look up and realize no I am definitely not the one that’s moving… my walls and the building were definitely swaying. I was freaked the hell out! I ran over to my window and looked outside, no one was panicking so i figured i was alright.

I wasn’t sure what really happened until the hosts on CNBC said, “You weren’t imagining things, that was an earthquake.”

I’m in Georgia and people here claim they felt it… but I didn’t