Babypips Artists

Who else here does any art, when they’re not trading?

Paintings, drawings, sculpture … anything else?

I’m an amateur painter. I started at high school, and have dabbled in it since then.

I’ve done a series of large (around 1 metre by 1 metre, or 1 metre by 1.3 metres) acrylic-on-canvas paintings (a few of them are technically “mixed media” actually), mostly loosely inspired by the work of the Dutch artist Piet Mondrian, including by some of his earlier-period work before he was so famous for the primary-colours geometrical stuff.

I used to have a little blog on which I posted photos of some of these daubs, but it was only to show friends: nothing for sale at all … and I didn’t bother renewing the domain-name or hosting for it, after the first year. I’m posting a few of them below in the hope that it will encourage other members to do the same? …

1 Like

Those are great, lexy. I especially like #4.

No, I don’t do art — I just admire those who can and do.

Wow, great stuff! You are truly a Renaissance woman!

Yes - love art. I do Colourful landscapes amongst others. About to start a new range again in Acrylics. previously using oil which is great but the drying time is a bit too much.

Yes, I agree: acrylics were a great discovery for me, for “all-round convenience”, really (a lot less clearing-up time, too!). Looking forward to seeing a photo or two, Henry, and good luck when you get going again. :slight_smile:

Ooh, interesting - thanks! And talented (I particularly like the purple sky one :slight_smile: ).

(I’ve tried purple(ish) only in a “stained-glass window” effect) …

Why do you mostly like these squares of different colors, is it the only direction you are making art in&

I’m very interested in the life and work of the Dutch artist Piet Mondrian, and trying to paint my own impressions of how I imagine his work might have continued if he’d lived longer. That’s my excuse anyway, and I’m sticking to it. :wink:

No; I do some “Rothko knock-offs” as well, but they’ve never interested people as much …

Are you also a painter, Chong?

I like your “Rothko knock-offs” style more;) It looks very warmy, cosy, like it goes from your heart. I also have some relation to art. I graduated an architectural department, so, art and design are in my blood. When it comes to art I like to see real naked emotions, architecture is different…it should be well-organized)

Nice ones Lexys. It’s about time you posted a few more…it’s been a while:) I’d be interested in seeing them.
A few of my personal faves, not in any particular order
Edvard Munch, Salvador Dali, William Blake, Hieronymus Bosch, JMW Turner, Caspar David Friedrich, Marc Chagall, Titian, Max Ernst, Joan Miro, Goya…too many, too too many!!! I love all kinds of stuff!!

1 Like

I really like your work, Lexys. Especially the very first one you’ve posted, it reminds me of a stained glass window, it’s just luminous.
As for my favourite artists, I swing between the romantic and the macabre – Alphonse Mucha, Zdzisław Beksiński, H. R. Giger, Donato Giancola, J. M. W. Turner and many others.

Thanks very much! :slight_smile:

I also like a strange mixture of artists, but mostly 20th Century, anyway.

I hadn’t heard of Beksiński: he looks interesting. :cool:

I think Peter Doig is a fantastic artist. (Scottish, lives in Trinidad - there’s a bit about him in the Telegraph, here: The Triumph of Painting; not exactly “affordable”, though - Charles Saatchi is a collector of his work).

I don’t have decent photos of most of mine (and I had to stop painting anything the size of these about 3 years ago, through illness: it’s actually quite physically demanding!).

This is the only other one of my own not shown on the previous page of which I have a halfway-decent photo to post (and even this photo’s a bit blurry) … :8:

1 Like

Thanks for posting Lexys. The shapes in this look much more indefinite or uncertain than the others. There is something so lovely and mesmerising about colour…just colour. The purple on the previous page is quite dazzling. Do you paint smaller pieces now?

1 Like

That picture too I would call luminous. The colours you use are dazzling. I really like your work, Lexys.