The Panama Papers scandal

The Vast Scale of Putin’s Crony Capitalism and Offshore Money Laundering

Revealed: The $2 Billion Offshore Trail That Leads to Vladimir Putin / The Guardian

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Live coverage of the Panama Papers scandal

Does anyone foresee this having any predictable affects on the market?

Nope - just rich people from every country doing shady stuff to hide their money. Nobody thought for a minute they were paying all the taxes they were supposed to right??

more general volatility, but no particular trends i suppose

What does these Pnama Report effect on the world politics?

The Panama Papers: An Introduction

Panama Papers - A Storm is coming

Iceland’s Prime Minister Ducks Question But the Answer Catches Up with Him

ICIJ Article

In this story

• Offshore company owned by Prime Minister Gunnlaugsson’s wife held significant investments in bonds of major Icelandic banks

• Unclear whether Gunnlaugsson’s political positions benefited or hurt the value of the bonds. He says his policies hurt the investments

• Finance minister, interior minister also held stakes in offshore companies

• Complex offshore trail behind the 2008 collapse of Iceland’s big banks means some wrongdoing may never be uncovered

And there’s much more to come.

I don’t think it will have a big impact, unless it manages to shake the government of a major economy.

ahhhh… ehhh… cameron is involved in it. so i guess next year we will see a brittish referedum to seperate from planet earth and rocket their island to the orbit of the moon :wink:

The impact is likely a little more subtle, but a fair chance that there may be some GBP pressure up ahead.

As Turbo points out there is a link to the UK PM, he also happens to be the champion of ‘the stay in EU’ section of the Conservative party, the current party in government and a party widely believed to be generally ‘Euro Sceptic’.

Anything that damages the credibility of the ‘stay in’ voice is good for the Brexit campaigners - so will the market take notice?

Btw, damage limitation mode has kicked in, this is the current main news item, Andrew Marr will likely have more tomorrow on his live show, then the market will decide Monday.

David Cameron: I could have handled tax row better - BBC News

Leak Ties Ethics Guru to Three Men Charged in FIFA Scandal

ICIJ Article

In this story

• Four of the 16 FIFA officials indicted in the United States used offshore companies created by Mossack Fonseca

• Files show offshore companies used by some soccer players to hold money from image rights deals

• Offshore revelations extend beyond soccer to other sports including hockey and golf

Panamanian Law Firm Is Gatekeeper To Vast Flow of Murky Offshore Secrets

ICIJ Article

In this story

• Founding partners of Mossack Fonseca had international pedigrees and backgrounds in the worlds of money, power and secrets

• The law firm helps clients respond swiftly to changes in laws, shifting business from one secrecy jurisdiction to another

• Among additional services offered are yacht and plane registrations, and, for some clients, handling of finances

• Mossack Fonseca kept a low profile – until recent scandals brought international attention

exactly what i meant just as usual paterma says it in a more grown up way then i do with my sarcasm.

at the moment Cameron is trying to prove that he according to law paid his taxes on those off shore accounts in panama. if he did then it will strengthen him a lot simply because indicating to the people that cameron had a chance to “cheat” but did not take it and instead went the right way and made everything legal- will strengthen his PR and credibility. he thou will have to put all the blames on his own father which isnt a nice thing but probably necesarry.

if he cant prove that he paid his taxes according to laws then he wil have some heavyissuies and he will definately loose his position in the brittish politics immediately simply because: a primeminister working against his own country and “damaging” his country by not doing something that everybody else is forced to do every month - is not to safe anymore.

the impact on the bexitreferendum is in no way forseeable. we can only guess what lession the people in UK will learn out of this. I hope that the people in UK will finally start realizing that it is not the EU putting them “down” as they like to think but in fact their own leaders are not doing their job very well and that there are major issues within the UK thaat need to be adressed. but i highly doubt that that is what the people of the UK will learn from this possibly disasterous revealings…

All Putin’s Men: Secret Records Reveal Money Network Tied to Russian Leader

ICIJ Article

In this story

• According to analysis, as much as $2 billion has been secretly shuffled through banks and shadow companies linked to Putin’s associates

• Bank Rossiya, identified by the U.S. as Putin’s personal cashbox, has been instrumental in building a network of offshore companies

• Dozens of loans, some worth hundreds of millions of dollars, sold between offshore companies for as little as $1 or less

Global Banks Team with Law Firms To Help the Wealthy Hide Assets

ICIJ Article

In this story

• Major global banks work hand-in-glove with other players to help the superrich, politicians and criminals keep their assets under wraps

• More than 500 banks, their subsidiaries and branches registered nearly 15,600 shell companies with Mossack Fonseca

• Mossack Fonseca debated whether to continue to do business with Rami Makhlouf, the billionaire bagman of Syrian dictator Bashar Assad

How Family that Runs Azerbaijan Built an Empire of Hidden Wealth

ICIJ Article

In this story

• President Aliyev’s family named in a proposal to reap benefits from a complex offshore structure to hold interests in a major conglomerate

• Children and sister of Azerbaijan’s President revealed in connection with previously unknown offshore companies

• New revelations that President Aliyev’s children controlled a majority interest in a controversial gold mine project