My journey journal...from demo to live...and beyond

Ok Journal. This is what’s been going on.
We’re pretty much at the end of our class. This up coming week is the final week. I’m sad. Well…not really. In a sense, I’m excited. I do want to be over with it. And that’s because of all of the material I’ve been given, I must go back and refine a lot. It’s just impossible to keep up with this pace. This is normal. I mean, he as even said, like, ‘I know I gave you guys a lot of information to process and work through’… This is an on going thing. Everybody has their own pace.
It’s time to build.
I have a road map.
I have a tool chest.
I have building blocks to put together.
I have a vision, with goals, and a journey ahead of me, to accomplish them.
I have a foundation in which my structure is being built. (And that foundation will always be worked on)

Lately I’ve been struggling with my methodology. This has taken me back to where I left off, of trading. I thought I had a good idea. I’m talking about the approach. How am I going to approach the market? In what fashion? Ok, I thought the best way was by ‘the trend’. I’ll have the different states of a trend compartmentalized. You know, like, it will be either trending strongly, retracing, ranging, or reversing from the trend. So then, whatever the state is, I should have something down on what to do in that situation. I should have levels drawn on where I could be in, take profit at, stop losses at, etc…
So yeah, that’s an approach. Right? But…then it gets too complicated for me, when I look at the chart and try to figure out where all those lines should be. So, then, I get frustrated. Then, this past week, I had a great idea. (Actually, thanks to Pipsychology, his write ups always gets me thinking) How about approaching a trade by ‘probabilities’? I’m talking like, looking at any kind of entry and destination, on the chart, and put down all of the pro’s and con’s about it. This would definitely make me more objective about a trade. How about an open ended trade where the market would tell me it’s done moving that way. And come up with a probability on it. Basically, that was an idea. But when you think about it, it’s complicated, and hard. Surely a lot of work needed. So, I’ve been trying to find what approach I want to take. I’m getting frustrated. Not feeling good about anything.
Then…me and Terry talk on Friday. I wanted this to be front and center of our one-on-one meeting.
I showed him all the mind maps on these ideas. Told him, bottom line, I’m not satisfied and don’t know what to do.
He says…let’s make a new mind map. So, I did. Got it all ready to go.
He asks me one little question.
"Mike, out of the 2 possibilities, long or short, which way do you prefer to trade? "
I’m like…uh…hmm…well…man…never thought about that.
“Do you like trading going long, or do you like going short?” NOTHING ELSE, BUT THAT.
And then I remember a book that I read that posed characteristics of when the market goes north, than the market going south. Going north is like pulling teeth, as opposed to going south. Man…when the market wants to short, boy, it does, without hesitation. More farther and longer! Bad news really can bring out fear in people. But, when there’s good news, there will always seem to be a hesitation sentiment with it, at some time.
So, this was shooting through my mind when he asked me that question.
I said ‘short’. That’s what I pick. Out of the 2 possibilities.
He says, “Ok Mike…bring up your charts.”
"What time frame do you want to trade? "
So, I did. And brought up my one favorite pair. AUD/JPY. On the daily chart.
He then immediately guided me and had me draw out some lines on it. (I’ll show you a pic of what we did)
Oh, I remember, he then asked me if I knew what an ABC trade is. Or a 123 trade. Well, I didn’t. He says that I should research about that. But, he told it to me and showed me the basics of it, on my chart.
Well, I guess he seen it there, and showed me the outcome of when there’s ‘a high, then a low, a high again, and then the breakout low’. Man!! I was shocked. I don’t know. I guess I was shocked of how much he can read what’s going on in the market. And also how actually the market does obey some principles.
But, getting back to simplicity sake. He shows me that all I want to do is find the level of where I will go short. (It happens to be at a strong resistance level) He says this…"We’re traders. We don’t know what’s going to happen. And we’re not going to guess. But, at this area, you know you’re going to go short at. You have a stop loss in place. So, your prepared to take the loss, or your prepared to take it on down. "
It’s that simple.

And you can see there all of the opportunities that the resistance area was respected. The idea is to ride it on down, put in a trailing stop or just take profit when it consolidates.
I don’t know. It’s like I’m looking at the market for the first time. Honestly…I guess I don’t know that much. Look…I don’t care. What is is what is. And I don’t care what anyone thinks. I’m just amazed, that’s all.
I am looking too much into it. This is a simple way. You know, I’ve always have heard that you should not make it too complicated. I mean, I’ve known this! But, here I am, making it just too complicated!
And this is precisely what I told him. “This is why I need you!” I needed to see this, hear this, from someone who just knows about the market. You know, he doesn’t even trade the forex market. I remember him saying he tried all of the different ones, long ago, and this is just not his cup of tea. I guess it just goes to show that a chart is a chart. Principles are principles that stem across many financial markets.

So, we’re going back and forth from that chart to my new mind map. And this is what we developed together.

I’m not too sure why he had me put ‘draft #1’ in there. I think it’s because this is incomplete. Eventually he wants me to branch out. Like at different levels. Time frames. Etc…But I must get the basics down pat.

He kept saying to me, at the end, “Mike, concentrate! Stay focused! On this, and nothing else! Don’t spread yourself out but realize what you got here.”

You know what…I know how to obey. And that, I will.
I am, and have been, given the keys to know how to trade. AND in becoming a trader.
Do you think I’m gonna stray?

Nope.

It’s only a matter of time.

Mike

This!!!

Hey Journal!
Well…it’s over. Tuesday was the last webinar. And Friday was my last personal meeting. (Geeeez…I’m making it seem like I’m never gonna see him again) (I guess it could be, if I want)
So, on Tuesday, Terry talked. He did a class on ‘support team’ & ‘performance’. Yep, was good stuff, you know.
Then he opened it up for anything. He said he’ll answer any question, no matter what. So, yeah, we all talked. It didn’t end up with anything earth shattering. I’m kinda sad, sure. It’s in the air. Man…I remember now. Well, one guy there was talking and asking what he should do. He trades for his living. I guess he’s been crashing. And now he’s asking if/when do you get to the point where you need to scrap everything. Man…I never thought about that situation. Look…sure…he sounds a bit down and out. Pretty sad. And Terry talked a bit to him and basically came around and told him that he needs to start over. I’m thinking…like yeah…like why not? If it ain’t working, do something. Now, the situation he’s in is something I haven’t quite put myself into. He’s making his living this way. And…I don’t know…I was confused. Cause in my mind…look…there’s a saying, and it goes like this. ‘A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work.’ I think that guy is having a bad day, but in my mind, that would still be better than one of my good days at work.
See, I have that as a goal. And precisely that. I’m not necessarily wanting to make it rich. As long as I can continually keep my trading business going. That’s my plateau!
But in any case, I feel bad for the guy. See, that’s why my plan is to have 6 months of living expenses accrued before I start it full time. (someone smart in here gave me that idea…thank you!..I forget who you are, but your very intelligent! ) I don’t want to trade for the next days dinner.
Ok. Yep. That’s nice.
And so, we ended. Sadness in the air. Everyone pretty much gave a thanks to Terry. But, at least there will be one more one-on-one meeting on Friday. And I’ll tell you how that went. Pretty interesting.
So, I got to thinking about it a lot. I was going to pose him a question. I wanted to squeeze more out of him.
I mean, I am talking to someone who has 24 years of trading experience, who has been a facilitator to business people for over 40 years, and who is old. Those are who, I respect the most, in this world.
So, I had something in mind, leading up to the meeting.
Then time came.
Got the formalities out of the way. Then, pretty immediately, he wanted me to pull up my trading chart.
He asks me, “Mike, show me your anchor trade”. (That’s the one and only trade that you are best at. Can always rely and count on. Your go-to trade.)
At that moment in time, it was like I was face to face with God.
It was judgement day.
It was like he was asking me what my sins are.
And what am I going to do? Lie? Throw some bs out there? Well, I can’t, cause he’s all knowing.
I’m a straight shooter anyway, and now…it’s confession time.
“Terry, I don’t have one!!! I just do not know. I’m not done with it. I’m not happy with what I got. Sure, getting close, but not done. I’ll show you where I"m at, and what I got so far.”
He’s quiet.
And he’s understanding.
I showed him my mind maps on entry, management, exit. All that I had on it so far.
Then he asks me…“Well, where are you getting in? And when?”
And that, I could not answer.
So…helps me.
See, the one thing he has always said from the beginning. They will not tell you how to trade. His job is to give you the tools in becoming a real trader. He knows that there are many ways to trade, and we need to find our own particular way.
And so, I guess what he did was, shown me some things that he would do. He gave me some good ideas.
We spent some time looking at my chart. We went back and forth on what was going on in it.
He brought up about the A,B,C trade again. Did I look into that? Well, I did. And I told him that that led me to the Elliot way principle. He says that he doesn’t subscribe to that because the problem with it is that it constantly changes as time passes. Now, I don’t understand what he said, but I do agree with him that it’s not my cup of tea either. Then, he shows me something. But first, I just need to say that he was explaining a lot of good stuff on the charts. Things like what’s the context, content, condition. I couldn’t believe he even mentioned that it’s good to know price action. What?!!! In my mind, I guess I kind of throw out the baby with the bath water. Big subjects like that I go one way or the other. And I counted that one out. Thought it wasn’t totally wholesome. Maybe because of the books on market profile. There they are looking into how price moves in the intraday time frame. And I know that he’s the author on that subject. After all, he developed ‘windotrader’.
Ok, that’s nice. Anyway. He is showing me, and telling me a little bit about a lot of different things. But then he shows me something that I definitely like. And I’m going to adopt this.
The subject is retracements. I asked him if he subscribes, uses, the FIB tools. Does he believe in all those particular %'s. He says no.
He tells me to draw a line from the highest swing high (on monthly chart) down to the lowest swing low. He tells me to find the 40% up from the bottom and the 40% down from the top. So, I just change the fib %'s to 40, and 60. And so, we can see on the chart, that in between those two lines (in the middle) he calls that the ‘doubt zone’. The trend happens to be on a down trend. And where price presently is, is right in there.
I guess I should put up the chart.

The first one there is the monthly, where the lines were drawn. Then the next one is what the daily chart shows.
So, in between those 2 lines is where I don’t want to be trading. Anything can happen there. And since I am picking to short a trade, I would want to go short at the 40% line (bottom). Meaning, the probabilities would be higher there, for a continuing of the trend.
I said, "so…therefore, I won’t be trading, until I wait for price to go there. This is the daily chart. And it could continue on up, or just zig zag there for a while. "
He was quiet. I was quiet. Then he said that this is the daily chart. (I know he was saying that I picked this)
And I do realize it.
So, I learned something. What more can we do at this time? I do think this is a principle. From a high to a low, 40% on either end is where I would want to trade. A continuing of a trend or a break out (new) trend.
Oh, another thing I caught from him. Talk about bottom lines. He would say this, on many occasions.
“You want to know where you will be getting in at, and when.” That’s probably why he came up with the 40% levels. That would be the ‘where’. The ‘when’ I guess comes down to knowing stuff. Like knowing the market will retest a level (one of the things he mentioned). Also price action, as I have mentioned already.
You know what Journal? I think that right there is some good stuff. I did come up with something afterwards. I’ll spell it out a little later.
So then, when we were at a pause, and all was quiet, I changed the subject.
I posed my question.

I’m coming back for this.

Mike

1 Like

Ok Journal.
This was my million dollar question.
"What would you do if you were in my shoes, right now? You just have been given the building blocks on how to build your own trading business. Been through tasting defeat, starting all over, and searching for your trading strategy. Knowing all of what you know now, what would you do, in my shoes? "
He proceeds with telling me, in general, how we went through it. How he took someones advise, and tried it that way. Then someone else would come along and tell him a different way to go about it. He would try the different markets. He lost so much money on the journey. He basically listened to many different people, and nothing really worked for him. I guess it did take a long time. But eventually found his way.
And this was his answer to me.
[B]“Find out what works for you - and just do it!”[/B]
[B]“Learn one market.”[/B]
[B]“Find your methodology - find the zone”[/B]
[B]“Nail it down to simple - Anchor trade”[/B]
[B]“Take it slow, & do it.”[/B]

Then I asked him about building up the capital that I need. He says “Isn’t it possible to be in the Forex with just a few dollars?”. I’m like yep. He says why don’t you start out with say $50. Take it slow and build it up. And every month, you just put in a little bit more. Work with what you got and just build.

That’s some awesome stuff.

You know…I just want to say. I was hoping to get something different, from my question. Kind of like what to work on, which is more important than the other. I don’t know, something more specific. And as he was talking, I was writing (as fast as possible). This is some of the things that I hear much on BabyPips. Because there are some real gems in here (people), and I appreciate them!
I am not belittling anything Terry has said, because it is sound advise. The thing I need to realize is this has to be done my way. I have been given many different tools. I just need to use them.
There is something I’ve been wanting to articulate. Cause this is something very important, that I learned.
It hit me like a ton of bricks, when I saw it, on one of his teachings. I’ll have to dig it up sometime, but this is it in a nut shell. We need to trade on principle, more than just by a methodology. Man, I thought about that. People just try to find a way to trade. How about finding your principles first, then a methodology that backs that up? Oh, I’m remembering some of this quote that addresses this. It goes something like ‘there are thousands of methods to trade, but not many principles to trade. Find your principles’. (I’ll find that quote later)
Anyway, ok, yeah, that is nice.
Bottom line. I am excited. He did say that any time that I want to reach him, I could. He also wants me to participate in their monthly round table discussion. And there is other things they (many other traders) do to keep in touch.
But, look, I know what to do. And I’ve been doing it. Not now, but I’m going to show it. I do believe I came up with my anchor trade. Thanks to his input. I have a trail of mind maps that details (and reasons) every particular point of it.

Stay tuned Journal.

Mike

1 Like

Journal.
Dug it up.
And while I’m at it, gonna throw out some other good ones.

In the following. The road map, explained. So, the plan is this. 24 squares. 1 square a day. Spend one hour meditating, viewing, thinking, refining all of these areas. It’s a way to touch on all of the important aspects of my business. I’ll hit everything in a months time. Then month after month.
This will be a routine of mine. But, first, my concentration is on my strategy. And I’m definitely close to the end.
So, basically, this is what my class was all about.

Continuing…

Lots of good stuff. There were hundreds of good screen quotes like that throughout. It only takes a serious look within to make any real change.
This is how I operate.

Mike

Hi Journal!
Well, I guess I have to back things up a little. And actually it all started from the last post I did, you know, me & Terry’s last meeting. See, I’m searching for answers. It does help when I reread my experiences. And lately, I’ve been pretty bothered. It’s the same old thing…like it’ll be my last endeavor…finding my strategy. I remember going through this last year, and now, after going around a huge mountain, here I am again. But anyway, I kept reading what I wrote last time. And I noticed something. It was his story, then his advise! The biggest thing with him (in his early years) was trying out other peoples methods. Nothing really sits right for you unless you find your own way. That precisely was his point. But here I am trying to adopt his ways. Yeah, he showed me some techniques and I’m wanting to follow them. I started realizing this. Then I read his words of wisdom. Find your way, and just do it.
Ok, that’s nice.
This is how it happened, for me.
You know, many things roll around in your head, for such a long while. And you never know when your brain shows you some really good stuff. Whether your driving a car, going to the bathroom, or eating lunch, when it throws it at you, you just have to remember it. So, this is what hit me.
After all of the teaching I went through. Since the beginning of Nov. Where did it get me? Right now. I’m right where I was at from last June - Oct. Racking my brain about the way I want to trade. But it hit me. I did learn something. It goes back to my ‘core trading values’. Ok. Well, maybe I need them now. Yeah, what a novel idea. I’ll throw out there what they are again. Learning. Practicing. Thinking. Decision Making. Information Processing. The Kaizen Process. Time/Energy/Money Management. Well, you know, what are these here for? I absolutely need a few here, like Decision Making, & Thinking. So, I went back and utilized those MM’s I have of them. Did some research. You know, got to working, with those tools. And guess what? (You probably thinking that I’m gonna throw out there something really good, right about now)
Nope. Dead end. The only thing I realize is that I need to re do my mind maps on those things, because their not really effective. No help. Then, something else kept nagging me in my mind. I think this has been nagging me for a long time now. Ever since the beginning, there was one quote that I remember. And this quote Terry said is his absolute favorite. I’m going to have to find it.
Rudyard Kipling…“I had six honest serving men. They taught me all I knew. Their names were : Where, What, When, Why, How, and Who.”
I did spend a lot of time mulling that over in my head. But now, I’m going to put it to the test. I mean, if this is true, then I’m going to find it out. All I need to do is ask these questions. Over and over again.
My idea is this. I’m going to have mind maps with this simple formula. A central idea in the middle, and the six serving men around it. Then, for each of those 6 legs belongs their own mind map with the same format.
And so on.
I realize that what’s most important is asking the right questions. What a big help, in uncovering stuff.
Another thing helping me lately, is that I do realize also that I do know how I want to trade. I mean, you would figure, after so long of internalizing how I approach the market, what I see in the market, my likes and dislikes, just everything…the answers are already there! I just needed the organization and format to get it all down in.
Boy, I wish I could put in here all my mind maps that I did on the subject. I just can’t. But, I’ll just throw out my first one, the most important one.

I started from the top right and moved my way around clockwise. There’s a total of 10 mind maps I have so far. Believe me, everything is questioned, and answered. It’s truly amazing what you uncover when all you do is keep asking those 6 things. The first thing pretty much always has to be asked is ‘What’. That’s the subject matter. Then it seems to lead to ‘How’, the content and the steps. ‘When’ has to do with time. ‘Where’, the physical place. ‘Why’ always gives you your reasons behind your answers. It could get backwards with that one because if you don’t come up with a satisfying answer, then your gonna have to start over with the ‘What’ again. The ‘Who’ not always gets answered. Either you have to get creative or it will be a ‘me’.
But anyway, another important thing I always need to remember is what’s in the middle. That is what everything is centered around. So, on that MM, it is looking at my strategy as a whole. Big picture. That’s why I was forced to answer the question of ‘Where’. Well, it has to be my broker, of course. That is where I am presently at right now. I’m trying to find one. I can’t use the one I did before, they merged with another broker. So, I’m kind of at a stopping point now. Well, actually where I’m at now is, trying to demo the strategy under the same conditions that I will be doing when I go live again.
Ok…yep…
Anyway.
My view of the market has always, always, always been --“Risk on, Risk off”. I’m not going to deny myself.
But, what I have realized is that I want to trade risk off. That’s a fear sentiment. That’s under the conditions where money is fleeing to safe haven assets. And in the currency market, that would be with the JPY. It’s funny that every one of those pairs, on the charts, will be going short. I established that already. Short is what I want to trade. But… (I’m sorry Terry, I’m gonna spread my wings somewhat from the mold you have shown me). Anchor trade. Sure. I do believe in it. That means one trade. Ok. That’s nice. Well, what I want to do is trade the JPY. I refuse to wait on the sidelines, if I only am looking at one particular pair (AUD/JPY), for say weeks on end till it hits. Then get in with very minimal position sizing. This is my plan in a nutshell.
I have the possibility of getting in on one of the 7 JPY pairs. Only getting in on one.
The market will have to be in a risk-off mode.
I will pick which is the best pair to get in with.
I am using the 40, 60 retracement levels drawn on the monthly chart to give me the ‘zone’.
I will place a trade at the bottom line. In fact, that will be my stop loss, the entry will be just below it, after a confirmation of going lower (a retest).
My first action will be moving the stop loss to break even. Risk management.
Second action will be locking in a profit, by putting in a trailing stop.
Third action will be compounding profits. I will be doing two things. Moving trailing stop closer to price and adding more position sizing at the same time.
So, my take profit point will always be where my trailing stop hits.
I believe that’s my way of riding out a run while cutting short losses. Only tampering with the stop loss level.

So.
It’s all spelled out in detail.
I’m going to practice this on demo.

Man…I got to run.

Mike

1 Like

Journal.
I’m gonna try to get these MM’s on.
This one is the ‘What’ from the original MM. (JPY)
You can see that there are MM’s within this one also. But all with the same format.

Only have time for this one right now.

Mike

Here’s my ‘entry’. Under the ‘How’ from the starting MM.

Mike

I guess I need to back it up some.
Here’s from the ‘What’ (JPY) , but the ‘Where’ (Zone).

Mike

The risk off sentiment. From the JPY. ‘Where’.

Mike

Here’s my ‘pick one pair’.
Probably won’t be too clear.

Mike

Here’s my ‘manage’ one.

Mike

This is my ‘exit’.
I pretty much had this one already. But as I now have seen, I didn’t go back and redo it according to the plan. Which is having the ‘exit’ in the middle, the subject. Then have my 6 friends all around, and ask these questions.
Man…
I’m gonna do this tonight/tomorrow.

Mike

Well, this is my last one. Time Frame.
It seems like it’s incomplete. Cause that’s all I could do with it. But, I now just realize something.
This is the ‘When’ of the whole strategy. My first thought of when is about time. So…time frame right?
Well, not really!
This is what I need to address. On the when.
When do I trade?
What do I do when I trade?
What do I do when I don’t trade?
It’s looking at time in regards to my trading strategy.

Yep.
Ok.

Mike

Hi Journal!
I got some time here. So, I’m gonna throw out what I’ve been up to. Been working on my mind maps. So, here’s my new ‘time’ one. It’s actually the ‘when’ back at my main trading strategy MM.

And then here’s my ‘exit’ one. For as important that the exit is, this should be more dove into. But, I feel that will come when I practice.

Mike

Hi Journal.
Now I’m getting somewhere. Not only do I need a strategy, but a plan to follow. I remember the things I was taught, so I’m implementing them. Here’s the logic.
From the top, the strategy. Mind Map.
Then the ‘why’ in that. Mind Map. (Goals)
Then the objectives. Mind Map.

So then, looks like at the end of each month I should have a report. And the way I set it up, as a no fail success, is if I do not so good, then I just put in more money to make the objective true.
I think this is a good way to start out. I need to start building and I don’t know any other way than from the bottom. This should be how to lift off.

Mike

Hey Journal!

Hey Mike! There you are. Where have you been? What’s going on? You still in the game or what? Talk to me goose.

I know, I know, I know…Man Journal, I don’t know what’s been going on with me lately. Frankly, I don’t want to talk too much about it. I mean, it’s upsetting to myself, more than anything. I get so upset because I’m just sleeping too much. Sure, I still wake up early, on the weekdays, but then I find myself falling asleep sometime afterwards. Then on the weekends I have a very hard time waking up period.
Believe me Journal, nobody spanks me harder than I do. I have a standard. And I want to keep it going. But…sometimes it’s very, very difficult. I don’t know, maybe because I’m getting older. Or something. Yeah, how about just old.
Anyway, I do realize that some of the problem has to do with the content that I’m working on. If I’m not grabbed by it, I eventually lose it. Like I think I’ve been mentioning lately, I’m back to square one. Finding that dog-gone perfect strategy. Ok…maybe that’s a little far fetched. But I have been struggling with coming up with how I’m going to trade. It seems like the threshold that I will never cross. (BTW…this is all the follow up that I’ve been going through)
I remember…there was about 3 times that I came on here and was going to spit out my plan. I started typing away. Then. Road blocked. I realize the holes in it. Then I run out of time and eventually hit the cancel button.
It has been frustrating. Cause I just want to get going with it. So, every morning, I will go over all my mind maps. All what I have down about it already. Oh yeah, all that stuff up there in the previous posts. Well, that’s nonsense. I don’t feel good about a lot of that. So, I keep going over it and over it. It’s all about the ‘when’ and ‘where’. But I have noticed, that over time, some things stick. It’s kind of like osmosis. The good stuff sinks to the bottom, and that’s what I don’t have to change. I just move on to the other stuff. See, there’s so many factors and variables in play. I guess it just takes time to sort it all out. With being such a perfectionist, it’s hard to be satisfied with the whole, when I only have bits and pieces that is good. One one hand, I need to get the ship moving. On the other hand, I want to make sure that my trading is backed by principles. And that requires asking a lot of questions.
For example, I was caught up with one thing for a while. See, I wanted an indicator to tell me when a pair is trending. It hit me pretty hard one day when I was reading someone’s blog, who I esteem as someone who is a very smart trader (N.F.), and he mentioned that he uses this indicator. It was close to something I used before. I surely am not going to pay the fee to be his pupil and take his classes to find out exactly why & how he uses it. But he did mention it. He uses the 8 & 21 EMA crossover, probably to find the trend somehow.
So, to be true to myself and my mind mapping, how do I answer the question of ‘why’ do I use that indicator? The truth would be for me to say that this guy uses it and that’s why. And it sits right with me.
What kind of answer is that???!!! It is no answer. It’s upsetting to me. So, I had to do some research for myself. Well, that took some time. I never really found that answer, cause it’s probably in his class, only.
I did learn some good stuff about cross over applications. And sure enough BabyPips has some rich teachings on that also. I would like to answer it like this. I pick the 8 EMA for this reason…and the 21 EMA for this reason… And these 2 compliment each other better than any other pair. It fits my time frame trading.
Back testing these two prove to work better than any other two.

Now that’s an answer to the question of ‘why’. Not because this guys uses it, or even B.P’s says to.
Anyway…that’s nice.
This is what I know.
EMA is exponential moving average. In my opinion it is better than the ‘simple’ moving average because it factors in the latest moves, as the simple does not. Simple is better for longer term trading. Exponential is better for shorter term (the curves are quicker). These are the smoothed averaged price. The 8 is taking the last 8 days of price and averaging it. Same with the 21, the last 21 days. So you have a shorter averaged price line against a longer averaged price line. And you have the current price, which is the candle sticks. Their relationship to one another is important. You can see where the current price is at in regards to the last 8 averaged days, and 21 averaged days. The rule of thumb is if price is below the 8, and the 8 is below the 21, it’s in a downtrend. If price is above the 8 line and that line above the 21 line, it’s in an uptrend.
Yep, that is nice. And all this tells me is if it’s trending high, or trending low. That’s the only reason why I use it.
Anyway, where was I?
Well, I guess I was explaining where I was at some days ago. Stuck on stuff. But, guess what Journal? I believe I have come out of it. I pretty much have settled on a plan. Oh…don’t worry. Your gonna see it, whether you like it or not. All of that up there? That’s nonsense. I got some revised mind maps coming.
And I got some more good news.
I found a broker. And.
Hold on…wait for it…
I got in on my first live trade, today!
Yep. Man…I was pretty upset of how it happened. But, I pulled the trigger.
See, it’s Friday, and I’m off today. Got up early. Good. But, I did fall asleep a couple hours later. Bummer!
So, everyone is off to work. It’s 8 am. Got back to working. But fell asleep! So I woke up, with the computer on my lap (on the lazy boy) and checked the market. Bammm!!! The market was flying! My way. This is what I’ve been waiting for. So, yeah, a bit late, but I’m in as the plan dictates. See, I guess there’s a lot I didn’t explain, like exactly how I’m getting in. That will all be laid out as I put up my MM’s.
Well, bottom line is, I’m in with $100 of an account balance. In a trade, with a stop loss of $5.00, if I lose.
(Man, I wish I wasn’t sleeping! Even if I was at work, I would’ve been able to see the action. And then to take action.) See, I was struggling with whether to keep my rule of waiting for the daily candles to close. I would wait for the pullback up to the line. Then get in. But…what if that never happens? That’s the other side to the argument. And so I think that rule is no longer. Surely I will learn more as the trading goes along. I think my positioning of these levels that I am waiting for are for major breaks that will happen. Which was the case now, in my trade.

So. I will put up the trade pic now. Then I’m coming back with shot after shot of my trading plan.

The first one is the daily chart. The green line is where I sold it at. I’m going south. Red line is stop loss, my much awaited line in the sand, support line. CAD/JPY . Short. At 84.386 . Stop loss at 84.840 . No take profit yet.

This is the one hour time frame shot. Along with the account at the bottom. See that…I was sleeping when it was moving on down!!!

Mike
P.S. Sorry can’t see much.

Journal.
Here it comes.
From the top.

This is pretty much cut and dry. Everything is put into perspective. Each of those red squares is a link. That’s where the explanations happen. I even have links within those also. This is as organized as I can get it. So, these first 3 are self explainable. The trading system, the goal, and how that goal will be achieved. (#1, #2, #3)

Mike

Journal.
This will be the ‘What am I trading’ from the original MM.

This is how I pick which pair.

This is basically under what conditions I want to be trading in.

Mike

P.S. This is a link in ‘How do I know it’s occuring’. I want to see all these lines moving down. JPY strong. Daily time frame.