MT4 vs FXCM platform

Hi i am new to FOREX I am opening demo account with FXCM and they have 2 trading platform and on the video of comparing MT4 vs FXCM they saying MT4 can go against you and there is no support and batter go with FXCM platform only small companies go with MT4 and in the video they giving advantage and disadvantage between the 2 and with MT4 you may loss more and a lot other bad info about MT4.

Any one please can tell me if MT4 is good or bad for the long run i am planning to be day trader still i am learning.:slight_smile:

I know some may prefer the FXCM trading platform but in all honesty MT4 is a industry standard. Most brokers offer it and most trading plans and indicators are written for it.

But you should try both and see what you like better. The nice thing about learning MT4 is that if you change brokers ever, you won’t have to relearn a new piece of software.

Very true, the main reason FXCM decided to start offering it is becuase so many traders are using it. It has powerful charting capabilities and you can do automated trading using expert advisors. But try both to see which one you prefer.

I use ACM and they will add mt4 on July, I use their advanced trader platform and I trade great, when they have mt4 I will see what all that fuzz is about and if it is that much of a change�we�ll see :wink:

I’m trading Micro accounts with FXCM and using their platform. I’d love to try out MT4 and I would really love to use GFT’s dealbook platform. My buddy trades through GFT and I know you can demo their trading platform.

Anyway as far as I know you have to pay to use MT4 through FXCM and have a minimum account balance. I like marketscope as it really only has given me one problem with one technical indicator because it didn’t have it at all.

I trade with fxcm demo mt4 platform for charts and the trading station 2 for placing orders…i like it just fine.

I almost went with ACM but chose fxcm instead and have been happy with them.

So you watch the charts with MT4 and enter your trades through their FXCM trading platform? Or do you only do demo on MT4?

I was thinking of doing that so I could use MT4, while trading my micro account.

yes i use the mt4 demo that i have to renew monthly for charting. I then enter my orders on the fxcm trading station. I like this as the mt4 order system is very clunky…on the trading station i can move my stops and limit orders around by dragging the horizontal lines where i want them. Much much easier than mt4.

Thanks for the info, I’m going to try it out with the mt4 as there are many custom chart features that mt4 offers.

exactly…you can’t do this with anything but mt4.

lol, man that’s so easy to trade!

yeah just a silly example…not my trading charts…i was just playing around with templates this morning.

I have been reading the many documents issued by FXCM regarding the implementation of the NFA’s new FIFO rules.

Those of us who trade through FXCM have some decisions to make, and not a lot of time in which to make them.

In order to maintain the current functionality of the FXCM Trading Station II, US-based customers will have to move their accounts to the UK. This will allow trades made on either the Trading Station platform, or FXCM’s MT4 platform, to side-step the NFA FIFO mess. More on MT4 in a moment.

FXCM seems to be encouraging their [B]FXCM LLC (US)[/B] customers to consider transferring their accounts to [B]FXCM LTD (UK)[/B], and they emphasize that to do this “seamlessly” — i.e., without having to close the US account and then open a UK account from scratch — a transfer request must be filed with FXCM no later that July 21, 2009.

Now, about MT4: For traders who (1) trade through the MT4 platform, and (2) have their account with a U.S. broker, there is a separate and very serious consideration, which apparently will affect [B]all[/B] MT4 users, regardless of the U.S. broker they trade through.

Here is a copy-and-paste from an Administrator sticky on the DailyFX Forum:

DailyFX Forum Administrator
DailyFX Moderator

[B]FAQs for NFA FIFO Rules [/B]

[B]MetaTrader4 (MT4)[/B]

MetaTrader4 (MT4) clients who wish to maintain their current platform functionality (with hedging enabled) may transfer to FXCM UK.

[B]Q.[/B] I am an MT4 user and wish to keep my account with FXCM LLC. How will my account be affected?
[B]A.[/B] To date, we have received no indication from MetaQuotes that they will be able to comply with First In First Out execution by July 31st, 2009. As such, the combined changes brought about by NFA Compliance Rule 2-43(b) will mean that traders will no longer be able to trade MT4 with US regulated brokers. Assuming that MetaQuotes is able to comply, there will still be major implications: traders will have fewer order choices, traders will have drastic limitations to their risk management options, the vast majority of Expert Advisors will no longer be functional

[B]Q.[/B] I am an MT4 user that applies Expert Advisers, how will they be affected?
[B]A.[/B] It depends. Some expert advisers use only market order to both open and close positions. These EAs will comply with FIFO execution. Other EAs do assign stop-loss and limit orders to specific ticket numbers, if MetaQuotes puts through a FIFO patch these orders will get rejected by the platform.

Also on this forum post, this item on the subject of proposed reduced leverage in U.S. retail forex accounts:

Notice of Leverage Reduction Proposal:

The NFA has recently requested that the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) approve another rule proposal that would place additional restrictions on the margin (leverage) levels that FDMs can offer to forex customers. If the CFTC approves this proposed rule, FDMs will be restricted from offering more than 100:1 leverage on major currency pairs and will be limited to 25:1 leverage on non-majors. NFA has proposed this rule because it is �concerned that higher leverage amounts can deplete a customer�s account balance�and result in forced liquidation�much faster than retail customers realize.� Again, CFTC has not yet approved this rule proposal, and there is not yet a specific date for when it would take effect. For more information, please visit:

NFA - National Futures Association

Here is a link to the page from which the above was copied:

1) FAQs for NFA FIFO Rules - DailyFX Forum

FXCM is too politically-correct to say publicly that the NFA’s persistent meddling in the forex market is a giant load of crap —
But, I’m not!

Clint

Yeah thanks Clint, as always for the heads up! I’m with fxcm UK and happy as a clam.

sandpipper,

I might start picking your brain regarding FXCM UK in the next few days, as I consider my next move.

By the way, cool charts (a few posts back)!

Clint

Why are we only hearing about this from FXCM ? I have 2 brokers and haven’t heard anything from either of them … Strange …

Is there any main differences between MT4 and FXCM’s version of it? I currently trade live on FXCM’s Micro, and demo on IBX’s MT4 platform. Is there a main MT4 platform that is different from other brokers versions of the platform?

Thanks!

-Cory-

In my experience most mt4 platforms are almost identical.

Is FXCM’s MT4 platform only available for Standard accounts? I would love to have MT4 on my Micro account.

Smallest lot size is mini lot on FXCM’s MT4.