What's the difference between part-time and full-time trading?

I agree with that, for sure …

The point I was trying to make (but not very articulately! :8: ) about [U]risk-management[/U] is that you ought to take that reality into account before you start trading [I]full-time[/I], know that you’ll hit some bad patches, and have enough trading capital to budget for that without needing to rely on “other investments” to subsidise your trading. I was kind of having a dig at undercapitalisation.

I think you’re making the point that you’ll need something else to support you, during a bad patch, and of course that’s a great point and a perfectly valid way of looking at it … so I take your point, of course. :8: :slight_smile:

Very important point, Lexy, indeed that would cut off a lot of retail trading because it would limit the number of people going into it with insufficient capital… As you say, one should capitalise before going into it (I say that to myself too)… It is like opening a shop with insufficient capital: even if you [I]could[/I] do it, you would probably not survive losing periods and go under, so the moral of the story is: even with all the right training and ideas about trading, just like in any other business, you will not survive it if you have insufficient capital (or you will make such small returns that you will soon realise it is pointless).

Thanks for clarifying, Lexy… sorry if I misunderstood you.

These days I am in circle of full time traders and now I know the real difference. The full time traders are making millions each month and as a part time trader you cannot achieve this because it requires full attention.

Millions? They must be too lucky or have billions of free capital to trade with

Still reckon its got something to do with shoes. Possible watches as well.

That really depends on the size of their initial investment, even if we assume that they’re consistently profitable. There are quite a few full-time traders out there, but I don’t think there are that many millionaires.

And losing millions sometimes too… Then jump out the window.

Defenestration syndrome is everywhere …

Ha-ha, that pic just made my day :smiley:

Yes full time traders are less than part time traders. Most of the people try to join forex as part time business for extra earning. They invest small amount in it and enjoy earning. I must say full time traders are more in profit than par time traders, there full focus is on trading which makes them more skilled

I think this is a bit of a hen and an egg issue – in order to trade full time you need to be profitable to begin with, but full time traders are making more money because they have more time and energy to focus on their trading. Which comes first?

The Part time traders are the one who earn some extra income and the full time. are the ones who are much dedicated towards it.

The difference is of dependance. A full time trader depends entirely on forex trading while a part time trader only takes some extra income from it.

Full time trader has more time on their hands. Trading becomes less risky. They have more time to focus, more time to rest.

Part time trader. Basically a relentless mental torture existence. Less time to rest. Need to take a full break from trading for days to recuperate. To recover health and
Balance mental state of mind.

I’m officially taking a break from Baby pips!

Trading itself is not different because market runs at its routine ups and downs of market are there daily in forex trading. Part time traders not avail all opportunities that a full trader can . Because he is connected to market for much time he can get good market any time.

I agree. Full time trading takes a lot of discipline and focus as it is their only source of living. It also needs huge investment to be a full time trader. Not everyone can afford to trade full time.

I believe if someone is a full time trader then most of their income is from trading. As in a part time trader would be someone who does it just as a hobby. When I think of a full time trader I imagine you know the guy/girl at home infront of his/her desk all day trading for a living.

Full time traders work for more hours in trading . They do trading as regular business. However part time traders avail time when they are free from other activities. They do trading for more or less hours. They had no fix routine to trade in market.

Becoming a fulltime trader is like getting a commission only job. You need to think about how you survive at least till you turn over a healthy profit. Unlike a day job you may have to take profits if any 3 months down the line, this means covering expensive and day to day living. This is like any investing activity. If you run losses (which you will) it will affect future income meaning you have to budget well, you cannot treat life like you are on monthly salary.

There is the issue of taxation. In the UK the lines are blurred which brings a lot of complication, you could escape taxation based on Down V Compton case in 1937 but that means that you have no paper trail. So some people need some kind of shell to create paper trails (important if you intend to get a mortgage or that kind of thing). So if you have a secondary income source keep it. A job and serious trading may prove stressful (in some cases), so it may be wise to start a business around your trading to mitigate this issue if you want to exit the 9-5. This is exclusive to FX, if you trade futures and stocks you will pay taxes, in some countries like Germany tax is taken upfront annually meaning you have to budget for this, in the UK you get a tax bill so accounting is crucial. To be honest if you have what it takes to go exchange based trading, you will not even be able to fit in the head space to make income on anything else beyond dog walking, I am sure that doesn’t pay much.

So in response to the question of prop trading, it cannot be classified as part or full time, rather the question should be, other income sources besides trading. Most traders have other income sources besides trading. Someone’s main activity could be trading and trading related activities so I suppose they are traders by definition, others will be investors as it is not their main activity and treat trading as secondary and in some cases don’t mind much if they don’t turn a profit, it is merely a fun endeavor that makes them feel special.