A brief share, questions around volume, any contribution welcome.
Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 962
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    943

    Lightbulb A brief share, questions around volume, any contribution welcome.

    Thanks to Pipmehappy, GP00 and a few others everyone is discussing volume, I thought it will be great to share some material on my trading on volume, much of it is my developed style over a few years but I have my grounding in some great works from Wyckoff, Livermore and a few others not mentioned.

    It will be nice to keep this thread going I will be posting in here as well when I can. You guys have really inspired me to stay here on babypips such a great community of ordinary guys and gals. Really Love it...

    I apologize in advance for the long 20 min video but I am not that great a narrator. I recorded this for my journal in March. Hope it is loved...

    Volume in FX tutorial 2 - YouTube

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    1,577
    Great video. Definitely, definitely worth the watch. I subscribed to the thread and your channel. Looking forward to keeping this thread going. And ready for lots of discussion. Traders will get to see the difference between a trader who uses hardly any indicators (accept of course for support and resistance points, which are indicators) to my style where I use a few for two reasons 1. to save time 2 to confirm my thoughts. IMO it's the only 2 times they should be used and only after a trader knows how to apply them without an indicator.

    Back to VSA. I agree with you 100% volume is the only way to go and there is a lot of different ways to approach it.. One of the great things about VSA is it's adds another approach to markets. Besides tech analysis and fundamental analysis, VSA takes the best of both to add a third type of analysis. It can be used pretty much on any time frame or tick chart, once you understand it, you see how in the blink of any eye current conditions.

    A quick note about long winded I found from experience traders who apologize for long winded video's and posts, are the best ones to watch and read. There is never an ulterior motives just tons of good information that pops up while they are talking or posting. So long wind away my friend.

    Once again emeraldorc, thanks for the video and I'm looking forward to participate in this thread. Best Wishes and Continued Success
    Gp

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    943
    Thanks GP.

    Some great comments from you as always. I look forward to future contributions from everyone. Have a great weekend.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,345
    Hello emeraldorc, nice video! I like your style! One thing: like me, you have your in-built laptop microphone, which means that we get treated to a full round of cooling fan whirring every so often. I recommend a head-set! Got one recently but the laptop just refuses to let go of its in-built mic input so I will take it to the shop on Wednesday and get it sorted.

    That was just a technical point... I found the video very interesting... Coulling, in her VPA book, says that you can use tick (volume) on any time-frame, but then, like you, she seems to favour shorter time-frames... Is tick (volume) and price analysis best served hot on a five-minute plate or cooler on a monthly one? Salad optional

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by PipMeHappy View Post
    Hello emeraldorc, nice video! I like your style! One thing: like me, you have your in-built laptop microphone, which means that we get treated to a full round of cooling fan whirring every so often. I recommend a head-set! Got one recently but the laptop just refuses to let go of its in-built mic input so I will take it to the shop on Wednesday and get it sorted.

    That was just a technical point... I found the video very interesting... Coulling, in her VPA book, says that you can use tick (volume) on any time-frame, but then, like you, she seems to favour shorter time-frames... Is tick (volume) and price analysis best served hot on a five-minute plate or cooler on a monthly one? Salad optional
    As you know I trade short term as well, having said that I also trade longer term, this video is more for longer term trading using Volume and tick charts. The website they mention also has good and useful info. Currency and Forex trading using VSA - YouTube
    As usual I'm not promoting anything that they are selling but I found the free stuff helpful and useful.

    If you look at VSA in phases, it takes into account 4 phases. 1. an accumulation phase; 2 a markup phase; 3 a distribution phase; 4 a mark down phase. When you finish the markdown, the traders that can move the market go back to the accumulation phase and starts are over. It's continual and consistent in what comes after each phase. It's like a Fibonacci tool, it doesn't matter the time frame, to use it you need a trend. Hope that helps my friend
    Gp

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by PipMeHappy View Post
    Hello emeraldorc, nice video! I like your style! One thing: like me, you have your in-built laptop microphone, which means that we get treated to a full round of cooling fan whirring every so often. I recommend a head-set! Got one recently but the laptop just refuses to let go of its in-built mic input so I will take it to the shop on Wednesday and get it sorted.

    That was just a technical point... I found the video very interesting... Coulling, in her VPA book, says that you can use tick (volume) on any time-frame, but then, like you, she seems to favour shorter time-frames... Is tick (volume) and price analysis best served hot on a five-minute plate or cooler on a monthly one? Salad optional
    Haha! Yes indeed, I do use the internal mic, my fan has become noisy lately despite having a quad core processor but I suspect it is the windows media center streaming that is tasking my machine. I plan to invest in what would be a third laptop in 2 years as technology keeps advancing. The external mics tend not to work for me as well...

    The volume is clearer on the shorter time frames as the daily upwards tends to show bars with identical volume with a few extremes which I use to catch really major support and resistance or look for falling volume in an uptrend to swing trade for a longer trade. I start my entry on the hour chart as my dominant chart for entry and use the daily as my general directional chart. I use to use the 15 min chart but that chart I find works for intraday scalps and if you feel like risking like the traders of old and over leveraging but I like to play by the rules so the 15 min lost it's appeal to me unless the 1 hour is in a tight range and I want to catch the breakout in that case the move starts at the 15.

    The logic is similar to that of a zoom lens if the daily is not clear zoom into an the hour if that isn't clear zoom to 15 by then you should have a picture to decide on. The monthly is best to combine the volume with a standard statistical deviation that are not really indicators but volatility measures (Bollinger or linear regression) because if a monthly chart was to widen in deviation would mean a volatile currency pair or tighten would mean a pending catastrophe as the breakout will be severe. So any extreme volume on channel support followed by a tail off would be a definite reversal and are really low risk.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,345
    Hello emeraldorc,

    thank you for this! I hope that more people will drop by to leave comments...

    Regards

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    20
    Hi,

    nice video. However, i am heaving problems with sell or buy volume. How do you determine what is actually happening with the market? A first glance, i only see big volume on big candles and i find it hard to extract the the essence.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,345
    Thank you, gp00053! It is quite long (1h45m) so I need to finish watching it, but thus far it is quite useful...

    Thank you ...
    Quote Originally Posted by gp00053 View Post
    As you know I trade short term as well, having said that I also trade longer term, this video is more for longer term trading using Volume and tick charts. The website they mention also has good and useful info. Currency and Forex trading using VSA - YouTube
    As usual I'm not promoting anything that they are selling but I found the free stuff helpful and useful.

    If you look at VSA in phases, it takes into account 4 phases. 1. an accumulation phase; 2 a markup phase; 3 a distribution phase; 4 a mark down phase. When you finish the markdown, the traders that can move the market go back to the accumulation phase and starts are over. It's continual and consistent in what comes after each phase. It's like a Fibonacci tool, it doesn't matter the time frame, to use it you need a trend. Hope that helps my friend
    Gp

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,345
    Hello emeraldorc, I took the laptop to the shop and the microphone settings have been adjusted: my next video will have a fantastic audio quality!!

    Listening back to some of my older videos, I wish I had better audio then, as the cooling fan noise really was not cool, excuse the pun...

    Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldorc View Post
    Haha! Yes indeed, I do use the internal mic, my fan has become noisy lately despite having a quad core processor but I suspect it is the windows media center streaming that is tasking my machine. I plan to invest in what would be a third laptop in 2 years as technology keeps advancing. The external mics tend not to work for me as well...

    The volume is clearer on the shorter time frames as the daily upwards tends to show bars with identical volume with a few extremes which I use to catch really major support and resistance or look for falling volume in an uptrend to swing trade for a longer trade. I start my entry on the hour chart as my dominant chart for entry and use the daily as my general directional chart. I use to use the 15 min chart but that chart I find works for intraday scalps and if you feel like risking like the traders of old and over leveraging but I like to play by the rules so the 15 min lost it's appeal to me unless the 1 hour is in a tight range and I want to catch the breakout in that case the move starts at the 15.

    The logic is similar to that of a zoom lens if the daily is not clear zoom into an the hour if that isn't clear zoom to 15 by then you should have a picture to decide on. The monthly is best to combine the volume with a standard statistical deviation that are not really indicators but volatility measures (Bollinger or linear regression) because if a monthly chart was to widen in deviation would mean a volatile currency pair or tighten would mean a pending catastrophe as the breakout will be severe. So any extreme volume on channel support followed by a tail off would be a definite reversal and are really low risk.

Forum Sponsors

Similar Threads

  1. A couple of questions that will help any newbie
    By juicypips in forum Beginner Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM
  2. Around when does the volume start to come back?
    By ViciousP in forum Beginner Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 03:07 AM
  3. Ichimoku - Any thoughts-experiences to share?
    By d-pip in forum Trading Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 07:15 PM
  4. Any mentor around ?
    By FXCaribbean in forum Beginner Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
  5. Any MT4 Coders around?
    By topchess in forum Trading Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
"Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think."
Benjamin Disraeli