Slippage question

i saw that my position encounter a slippage of 10pips but the chart for all time frames show there is no hit at all, missed by around 10pips. is this normal? any advice appreciated. thanks.

Ask your broker about it.

When you experience such a large slippage, it is usually a result of a large, quick movement in the market. The chart wouldn’t show a gap, but the candle at the time you executed the position would be at least as large as the amount of slippage, minus the spread. If this is not the case when looking at the chart, you should contact your broker to find out what happened.

i am using a reputable broker and never expect this to happen. thanks , bros!

this morning, i just checked the chart again, the candle on the chart was shifted to touch my stop loss. i only managed to capture the print screen of the chart yesterday night where the shadow of the candle is far from my stop loss by 10 pips. is it possible things happen this way?

Is your “reputable broker” [B]actually[/B] a broker?

Or is it a [I]counterparty market-maker [/I]who holds your deposited funds, makes up their own prices, makes up and interprets all the rules governing your trades, holds the other side of your positions and [U]has an incentive for you to lose money[/U]?

A [B]“broker”[/B] is someone who executes a trade on your behalf in an underlying market (in this case in the interbank market) to which you don’t yourself have access, and has no incentive at all for you to lose money.

Call me a skepchick, but I suspect from what you say that your “reputable broker” probably [B]isn’t[/B] really a broker at all.

I trade mostly 8-pip and 15-pip movements, myself, and for me a ten-pip slippage would clearly be a nightmare and a disaster, and [I]totally[/I] unmanageable. I wouldn’t be able to run my business at all, if that happened more than once in a blue moon.

the broker is OANDA. I also never expect 10 pips difference, the spread for this pair is 3 pips. from the chart, it’s definitely no hit and excluding the spread. meaning my stop loss to the offer price is 10 pips huge.

serious advice needed. now Oanda told me the spread was 35.1 pips due to the volatility involved when the data was released. may i ask which broker has such high volatility? the reason why i am persisting that it is not my fault is because it was not indicated on the chart that my stop loss was hit, there is a difference of 17pips on MT4 and 10 pips on fxLabs(if you are using Oanda, you will know) before my stop loss was hit. please advise, many thanks!

Can you post your chart so we can see which pair and when you are talking about

Agreed. I use Oanada and have never experienced this without a huge candle near a news event.

here is the chart that i am talking about, the point where it happened was 1.05918 and my stop loss was at 1.0602. then now the reason that they gave is that i should used the ASK candlestick chart. note that my chart is in ASK price too, so to say there are 2 different charts for same pair.

A trader have no control over slippages, it happens very often with several brokers especially during high impact news time. Avoid trading at that time is the only safe act you can do.

I see what you mean, Krafty. But regarding the chart you’ve posted, please also excuse the observation that if what you’ve shown took you out of a trade, you should perhaps really think about trading with wider stops (perhaps especially on a currency with such wide and rapidly fluctuating spreads as the Singapore Dollar)?

Be aware, also, that Oanda isn’t, strictly speaking, a “broker”: it’s a counterparty market-maker: you’re trading directly against them, and it’s inevitably going to produce the occasional problem when your counterparty also holds your funds and makes up and interprets the rules governing the transactions.

Hello to the O.P…

As I am feeling facetious today,

I am going to suggest (for a laugh) that you look up ‘slippage’ in the Urban Dictionary…

PS: do not be offended by what you read.

PPS: sorry you got stopped out.

PPPS: I am not always this immature…

:18:

PPPPS: on a slightly less risqué and a more risk management note, have you researched ‘slippage’ (ahem) on BabyPips forums?

Look what I found, using that wonderful tool!!

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/48670-how-avoid-slippage-forex-trading.html

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/21454-there-slippage-forex.html

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/57575-53-pip-slippage-stop-loss-oanda-platform.html

http://forums.babypips.com/forextown/75318-slippage-question.html

Plenty of reading…

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Sounds a lot, but as an aside, traders often wonder how such annoying slippage happens.We built a trading simulator to show how easily a marketmaker’s range may differ from that reported in the “market”.

thanks all, something which i don’t understand is that they have 2 charts of ASK price, one chart is in ASK price, the other is chart with median pricing but also in ASK price. my other broker has only one chart in ASK price and you can select either BID or ASK price.

Some color to this kind of queries is needed.
Volatility---- is not related with your broker.
Volatility is related with buyers and sellers and their risk appetite and uncertainty they are currently experiencing in regards to the price of the instrument they trade :slight_smile:
Oanda is the reputable broker known for the quality of execution.No questions about it.
CADSGD- Really? Cross rate. Not liquid. Spread on Oanda minimum 4-6 pips -5-6 average, news/openings/closings 20 -50 pips.
Suitable for beginners- No.
Is 10 pips slippage considered large in CADSGD during news or volatile markets? No. It is comparable to 2-3 pips slippage in EURUSD ( 2 *Spread).
Charts in Oanda- Mid price.
Buyers- follow ASK price
Sellers- follow Bid Price

#TradeSafely

What I understand is your broker may update the mt4 from pip. 0.0001 insted of 0.00001. You may have see 0.00010 movement on your chart which actualy 1 pip. Not 10 pip

thanks to all, look at the maximum spread it can go to in the enclosed historical chart:

Recent OANDA Spreads | OANDA Asia Pacific

is it the same for other brokers?