60 years later, the beginning of the new EU
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 60 years later, the beginning of the new EU

In the week ahead the UK will begin it's process of leaving the EU.

In the week ahead the EU will begin it's first week of it's 61st year, today, March 25 2017 it celebrates the signing of the Treaty of Rome.

That treaty was born from the desire that Europe would never go to war with itself, the EEC or the Common Market had it's core the four non-negotiable values that it believed would guarantee peace:-

1. Free movement of people.
    2. Free movement of capital.
    3. Free movement of goods.
    4. Free movement of services.

Those four foundation values have remained solid in the last 60 years, likely will remain so in the next.

Whilst it's always good to look back it's way more important to think of the future. How will the EU27 deal with the challenges of this century, will they now forge an even closer union, especially now that the UK is no longer a part of the equation, or will the whole enterprise fall apart as has been suggested by the 'populist' voice in recent times.

Will the Euro sink into the Atlantic as proposed by the US choice for EU ambassador, or have EU economies turned a corner.

Will 'populism' or more often referred to in the last century as 'the right wing' gain momentum, extending from the UK, US and indeed Russia with a more nationalistic approach, the sense of country/individual first or can a mix/match of 27 countries flourish all with their own particular needs and focus.

I am very much a student of history and of current affairs (history in the making), my own humble opinion is that there are 4 values that can ensure success, my hope is that those values will never be compromised.

Happy birthday Europe, here's to the next 60 years.
    Last edited by peterma; 03-25-2017 at 05:38 PM.

I applaude your post, and being from Rome I can tell you it's a high-security operation in the streets... So far so good.

Nations and countries, borders and belonging, nationality and nationhood are forever shifting just like the water and mountains of our beatiful Earth: sadly, for every person who chooses a home to sow the seeds of peace and harmony, another two choose to go out of their way to sow the seeds of war and discord.

For this, no right is sacred, nor treaty inviolable, no principle beyond corruption...

No, I disagree PMH, I actually think the opposite, often our attention is drawn more to those who sow the seeds of discord.

It has been said that evil triumphs when goodness is silent, I sense a turbulence in the silence.

"Massive voter turnout in Netherlands election the highest in 30 years"

Source; NL Times.

And now for you students of history, I remember well the UK newspapers that morning ' NON' was the caption on the Daily Mail.

Under the headline "Hostility" De Gaulle referenced many aspects of the UK economy and outlook that he viewed as being 'incompatible' with the EEC ( present EU)

So when you read current EU leaders say that perhaps the UK was never really an enthusiastic EU member and that maybe it was never really a marriage that could endure, then this is the source.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 27 | 1967: De Gaulle says 'non' to Britain - again

To understand De Gaulle then you have to go back to WW11.

Now you are in the place where the seeds of the EU was born, very forward thinking people who decided it must never happen again.

Maybe later I will post why this history will cause Eur/Usd to rise in the months ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by peterma View Post
    Will 'populism' or more often referred to in the last century as 'the right wing' gain momentum ...

Hmm, well, there's some "left-wing populism" about as well, maybe ... Greece? Spain??

Quote Originally Posted by peterma View Post
    "Massive voter turnout in Netherlands election the highest in 30 years"

Some/many of the people who would otherwise have voted for Wilders as a "protest vote" were mindful of the Trump result and thought to themselves "Better not, just in case he wins?" (Just my interpretation ...).

Quote Originally Posted by PipMeHappy View Post
    being from Rome I can tell you ...

Ha ... "northerners" ...

The increased turnout is being attributed to the Nazi rhetoric from Turkey, seems that those voters liked the way their PM handled that situation.

The 'left' over the years were generally viewed as Eurosceptic, it probably shows how much that the EU has evolved that a Grexit didn't happen and a Brexit did - good chance that the ECHR has played it's role in persuading the 'left' that maybe the EU is not such a bad thing, who knows.

Anyways, onwards and upwards was the theme in Rome, the EU press release is very focused on the EU27 moving forward, the EU Parliament President stated yesterday that the EU27 want the union to "work better".

He commented "we cannot progress without bringing Europe closer to the people.” after reflecting that

“There have been too many mistakes, it is not complete, it is often removed from real issues, divided, powerless, too bureaucratic”.

Hmmm... a certain 'leftish' tone perhaps?
    Last edited by peterma; 03-26-2017 at 03:13 PM.

The Europe of Ventotene is no longer here, thus without facing the immediate aftermath of global war it is hard for some statesmen/women to feel the urgency of reform in their individual member states. Renzi's constitutional reform proposals were met with an overwhelming 'no' vote last December, which makes any other European politician contemplating plebiscite on any major issue think not once but thrice.

I suspect that the focus of the 27 is not on state reform, rather on EU reform.

There is an unusual mood in the wake of Brexit, difficult to pulse it but there is def an air of collaboration that has not existed for a long time.

Right up to date, the election in Saarland was today, being viewed by many as an indicator for the German elections this year - will the CDU fare well, is there a wind of change away from 'populism' in Europe - let's see.

Should perhaps add, since this is not a 'political' thread a positive outcome of Ms Merkel's CDU will likely cause some Euro buying tomorrow, a good play perhaps Eur/Usd since the dollar has been under a little pressure of late.

I'm not predicting, just guessing

There was zero guessing of course.

The exit polls in the small (around 800k voters) Saarland were indicating a CDU win of around 41% an increase from around 35% last time. so the stage was clearly set for a Eur/Usd buy.

In normal times this vote would not yield many pips, but the climate is somewhat different as outlined above. Angela Merkel earlier had urged voters to come out in numbers, she emphasized the importance of this local election.

Forum Sponsors