Is it possible to make decent money as a Forex trader?

Hey everyone,

I’m new to the forum and half way through the school of pipsology. I’ve been doing a bit of wider research reading a few books, looking on a few different forums etc. One recurring message I’ve found is individuals saying that making decent money via Forex is limited only to a small number of traders. One individual claimed that even the best traders only make between 15-20% ROI annually?! Of course, I appreciate that Forex is no get-rich-quick scheme, and that profitability takes years of regular learning and trading.

So my question to you guys: If I put in daily hours, spend a few years learning/reading/trading on a demo account, can I expect to make at least a moderate amount of money (relative to my injected capital)?

Thanks in advance

Of course, if you build your own strategy and have the experience you will moderate an amount of money. Just don’t forget the money management that plays a significant role when you want to be a successful trader.

Hi,

Yes I think you certainly can.

My answer is a big YES…YOU CAN…Read below to get the inner depth and it also will be helpful for your Forex trading career.

Making money like professional traders have always been a dream for the novice traders. Here are the most useful Forex profit making tips with 3M’s of trading strategy. Read below to know more about the 3M’s principle and the tips of pro-traders.

You might be thinking how professional traders achieve success in trading. Making profits in a few deals is easy, but doing it consistently in order to make trading a full-time income is challenging. So, what is the secret of pro traders and what makes them different from you?

[B]5 Forex profit making tips every trader should know[/B]

You may find many other tips from different sources, but here I am listing the most useful 5 Forex profit making tips to make money like Pro traders. This is based on the experience of successful professional traders.

1. Pro traders’ habits and strategies
  2. Thinking ability (mindset) of a pro trader
  3. Capital and risk management
  4. Planning the trades
  5. Learning – an ongoing process

All the best and Happy Forex Trading

Hello WarDog119

The bitter truth about this question is:

What attracted you into FOREX?..If the answer to this is anything more than passion or love for the career path, you may end up as those unsuccesful traders who will always tell young aspiring traders that 4X is just a myth which unscrupulous hedge funds use in making money off the public.

However if your reason for choosing this path is born out of passion or being inquisitive, you may be one of those seemingly few traders who will make it to the top if you are ready to do the time in this game.

As regarding the amount made by pro-traders, I would say there is no definite answer to that, its like asking: [B]which religion would lead you to heaven[/B]?.. You would definitely get a varied response to that I assure you.

Professional traders make profits that range between 5%-150% per month (sometimes more). The most important thing you should know is that in this game what counts is consistency, irrespective of the % profit you make.

I hope this helps

This is both misleading and totally incorrect - professional traders do not make anything close to 150% per month - institutional traders verge on the side of 5% per month, which is considered extremely profitable, actually. Especially when we are talking of huge sums of money. 5% a month to a retail trader may seem small: this is not the case when you have a multi-million dollar account at your disposal.

The full time professional retail traders that I know of are making around 5-10% profit per month, which again is considered very good. So please, can we cut the crap here with stating 5%-150%. Yes you can make 150% in a lucky month by risking unsustainable sums of money and putting your entire account at risk. However, if that’s your motive then you’re in the wrong game and will not last long.

Hello Jezzode,

At least you agreed with me in your statement when you said: "Yes you can make 150% in a lucky month by risking unsustainable sums of money and putting your entire account at risk"…I have seen such results in forex competitions with real money, however I am sure you also missed the point where I wrote: “The most important thing you should know is that in this game what counts is consistency, irrespective of the % profit you make”.

Lastly I am immensely shocked at your complete immaturity when you wrote: “So please, can we cut the crap” …You are a HONORARY MEMBER sir, probably I need to remind you, such languages are unacceptable, you can make your points without using such.

I think babypips.com really needs to look into the calibre of people they give tittles to, you are not making a very good show of your self and again sir Jezzode, before arguing your point, try and seek enlightenment and dont just jump into conclusion

Thanks sir

“cut the crap” is slang for “open your eyes”… so please, let’s not start to make assumptions here.

Professional traders make profits that range between 5%-150% per month…I have seen such results in forex competitions

If you have seen such results in trading competitions then these are not professional traders, are they? This is why I picked up on your above quote, it’s misleading. FX contests and professional trading are at opposite sides of the spectrum - one is gambling and hoping to get lucky whilst the other is calculated risk.

before arguing your point, try and seek enlightenment and dont just jump into conclusion

I’m sure we can both see that there is no need to gain enlightenment this time around, gambling in FX contests is in no way reflective of what professional retail or institutional traders achieve. Perhaps you would like to think before you say such things, or maybe even follow up your posts with the addition of a disclaimer - “this is my own personal opinion and not necessarily true”

Hello Jezzode,

I don’t know where you come from, but I am sure you should know by now that a forum such as this unites people from all over the world, hence “cut the crap” from where you come from may be a slang, but from where I come from it is rude, especially when using it to disprove someone else’s point. It makes it sound like the person has no clue about he or she is saying… So I repeat… It’s insulting, and as a honorary member try not to use it again, you should be leading by examples.

Lastly I repeat my statement of you seeking enlightenment rather than displaying your ignorance. The forex competitions I was referring to are usually organized by some professional bodies and the traders who partake in such are professional fx traders with proven track records. … The competition sometimes goes on for 3 months before a winner is picked based on %ROI.

When I also say try seeking enlightenment, I mean before you try to disprove anyone’s theory, try to make your own findings and if you cannot do so, ask the contributor for the reasons to his/her statements,except you are telling me that you know everything concerning the topic FOREX…

Thank you

It’s Friday evening, a whole weekend to look forward too. Apologies if you took offense to the language, all be it common day domestic language.

I’m not going to continue beating this conversation anymore. If you feel professional traders can make returns in excess of 100% per month consistently then good for you. I also feel sorry that you’ve fallen victim for outlandish, promotional & incorrect claims.

Enjoy your weekend

You too broff

this threat has gone a little bit out of hand.

I understand borth sides very well and their points they are trying to prove.

For the competitions Pipsharigan has mentioned: yes it is true, there are very often professional competitions held by influencial entities like market players banks and funds. these competitions (i participate in one every year) usually last 1 month and you get a fiktive depot (usually €100.000) with which youare allowed to trade. the person who makes the biggest gain gets either a prize of some sort (the one i participate a very expensive car, last year a Jaguar) and a job offer from the holding bank.

In such competitions people go all risk. all in on evry trade. and the outcome has a lot to do with knowledgebale made decition followed up with a big portion of luck. My own record in last years competition (commerzbank, october 2016) was a gain of 1400% in 1 month. so made a fictive 1,4 million out of 100.000.

But, this is not real trading. any instituion that lets you handle money from other people like this will be shut down by the local authorietes shortly after it fires the professional trader who is doing such things.
This is just a competition and for “fun”.

The usual life of a professional trader looks completely different. Depending on what field you specialize and what way of trading- and most important- for who you are trading, it is usually expected by you to beat the inflation+provisions (cost of money management) and have a healthy return which is higher than if the investor would have been placing the money o the bank or similar feature. It is expected by you to “beat the market” by a few percentages. So a annually profit of 10-15% is a average number of what is expected of you. on the contrary it is proven that the average managed fund usualy does not outperform the index in which it is trading shares etc.

There are star like exceptions which make a annual profit of 50-80% but those usually are starter funds with little capital (20-50 million etc). the more capital you have to manage the harder it gets to find growth potential.

Let me give you a example:

last year a new company rose by 200% in stocks value. sunds great? yes for the company, but for a managed fund it is not interesting simply because that company rose from 2 million in worth to 6 million in worth- but you as a manager of a fund have 1,2 billion to invest. so even if you invested into the “lose shares” (lose shares are shares that are traded in the market, most shares are beeing held by investors or the owner anyways) you had the possibility to buy shares worth of 200.000 and the growth of 400.000 puts absolutely no weight to your 1,2 billion you are managing.

On the other hand if you invested 200k and the company went broke, you will be held accountable for that “waist” and why you invested in a risky start-up.

If you invest in a blue chip like microsoft, verizon, ibm, Daimler, BMW etc- the growth potential is very low. A annual growth of 4-5% is expected (in good times) and in crisises a drawdown of 40-50%within few months is very realistical (depending on the crisis, for exaple VW lost 40% of its shares value in the Diesel-scandal of last year). if you have 200milion invested there, your fund is about to have a hard time.

Institutionals and professionals trade extremely different from what retail traders do. Some institutionals have so much money at hand that they dont even know anymore where to put it, and as a investor into a fund: the thing you really hate to see is- CASH which is not beeing used (invested).

Thanks for your matured input TURBONero,

This is the response I expect from a HONORARY MEMBER, versatility, maturity and knowledge on a subject matter. We are all here to learn, and not get insulted by someone because he or she feels having a tittle added to an alias gives you the right to talk down on others.

God bless you Nero for throwing more light on the subject, do have a beautiful weekend

Why not it is possible and I am also making good money from forex trading. Forex is not impossible business just need to know and practice in it. You will get success slowly in forex. With time your performance will be more good as I experienced Now I can handle with forex market more easily than I was a starter.

Good for you imbest, although no one was debating that returns can not be made in FX, or any other type of trading for that matter.

There is a very fine line between realistic expectations and that of nonsense when considering financial speculating as a long term business. This is where my issue arose from.

A lot of things are possible, but that does not necessarily mean they’re probable. Is it possible to make good money trading Forex? Yes. Do most people make good money trading Forex? No, not really. The truly profitable traders are few and far between, and getting there requires a lot of time and effort. One should be aware of that when they begin trading.

Obviously, it is possible! Even, there have so many pro traders who are really making huge amount of money regularly! A knowledgeable Forex trader can easily read the hidden language of Forex market! So, if you are new Forex trader then focus on only learning, not on your initial trading result! In addition, I am very sure about my success!

Yeah, we can earn through Forex and earning is not making money all the time in Forex, all we need to do is to make more profit than the loss we make in Forex.