MT4- how to change the time?

Hi everyone,

I live on EST and I was wondering if it is possible to change the timezone on MT4. I’ve been playing with it for an hour now and still can’t figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I use cmsfx vt trader platform. I have previously used prophet.net java charts but didnt like it. I like vt trader, its free and the charts are great. I can set my trading alerts so I don’t have to stay up all night. :slight_smile:

im really liking the VT navagator charts. the only prob is it has everything but fib extensions. oh well. can anyone suggest another indicator that would be good for plotting profit taking areas please.

As far as I know (because I used to wonder the same thing) you cannot change the time on MT4. It sucks I know.

I emailed them the other day about the time thing and they said that only the broker (i.e server) can change the time.

The time is set on GMT +1, I think.

In any case, it sure makes things squirrelly sometimes.

1 Like

The time zone used can vary from broker to broker. About all you can do is find the brokers that use the time zone you perfer then possibly use one of them if the rest of their package is to your liking.

Does anyone know why MT4 raised their spreads. The euro has a 6pip spread and GBP has a 8 pip spread and well as others. They seem high to me.

Most brokers have spread that increase during unusual market times. Especially during news announcements. For comprising the current spread on EURvsUSD from Oanda is 2 pips. It would seem Oanda has pretty tight spreads compared to many other brokers. Spread on GPB is 4 from Oanda.

Also, spreads are not charting software dependent. They are broker dependent.

It varies according to the broker. I read that GFT uses GMT = 0. My broker uses GMT +2 but there is 8 hours difference in time zones where I live. So it gets very difficult to keep track of the market moving event times. Some guy by the name of Sonic has London, Asian, etc time zones built into his trading platform. But I have not been able to download his time zones.

You can’t change the timezone of your Mt4.
It is based on your broker.

You need to change brokers if you want to switch timezones.
It doesn’t really matter what timezone your broker is unless you’re trading the 4h chart and above, where different brokers would report different closes, and thus different signals will be given. I personally trade the 4hr chart, and I use OANDA.

Regards,
Nasdin

Actually solution is already found in FF, i’m testing it now.

The only noticeable change that you will experience is that the Market Watch time in MT4 will now be set at GMT+3. This might not affect your …

Might want to check this out: LocalTimeAxis indicator. It should come up on the web fairly easily.

There is an architecture limitation in MetaTrader pretty much with every broker, that doesn’t allow the “built in” time to be anything other than what that particular broker’s server time is, which is usually GMT +/- 2 or 3 or whatever. So unless you actually live IN the server time zone, you’re pretty much stuck with doing the mental calisthenics every time you just want to know the time that relates to whatever bar you’re looking at on your charts.

But this indicator can set it to plot just above the native time axis to look almost exactly like it so at least it doesn’t take up too much room on your charts, which may be the next best thing to actually being able to change the time on the platform itself.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Might want to check this out: LocalTimeAxis indicator. It should come up on the web fairly easily.

There is an architecture limitation in MetaTrader pretty much with every broker, that doesn’t allow the “built in” time to be anything other than what that particular broker’s server time is, which is usually GMT +/- 2 or 3 or whatever. So unless you actually live IN the server time zone, you’re pretty much stuck with doing the mental calisthenics every time you just want to know the time that relates to whatever bar you’re looking at on your charts.

But this indicator can set it to plot just above the native time axis to look almost exactly like it so at least it doesn’t take up too much room on your charts, which may be the next best thing to actually being able to change the time on the platform itself.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

it’s nice but it cost 12bucks any free alternatives?

Yes, I think so,
Metatrader is based on server time. so it won’t be use for our local current times.

I also tried to change my MT4 timezone but it’s imposible, the platform get time from the broker and my broker is based on Europe. But I have a question, why many brokers change their timezone in some events like this:

What is US Daylight saving time and how does it affect broker time?

its all about the timezone of the broker