Metaquotes stops developing MT4, will focus on MT5 instead

[I]Russian fintech company MetaQuotes no longer intends to issue upgrades to the MetaTrader 4 (MT4) as it is focusing entirely on its successor MetaTrader 5 (MT5), according to Anthony Papaevagorou, head of sales at MetaQuotes.

“We do not expect to see any developments to come out of MT4 ever again. Given this, MT4 is slowly dying out,” Papaevagorou said. “MT5 was previously struggling to keep up with MT4 and our other offerings, our problem is that we are victims of our own success,” he added.[/I]

They haven’t issued a meaningful update for MT4 for a while, I think.
How long before the platform starts becoming unstable?

A very long time, I think. MT4 is their bread and butter. While I understand the desire to push people to the new platform - I really doubt they will let MT4 die off, they would be leaving to much money on the table. I doubt any real changes will happen until MT5 makes up the majority of their revenue.

Is this really true? I seriously doubt that though. After all MT4 is in top of the worldwide used platforms and most brokers offer it. Perhaps at the moment they will focus on MT5 but I do not think that they will stop developing the MT4. After all so many people are currently using it, they just can’t afford to leave it off like that.

To be honest I believe MT5 is the future. Once they find the way to add all the data and features from MT4 itto MT5 they will switch completely to MT5. “We do not expect to see any developments to come out of MT4 ever again” - that doesn’t mean they will suddenly stop supporting MT4, they simply won’t add anything new to it. Anyway that is just my point of view. We’ll see how it goes.

Metaquotes continues its attempts to promote Metatrader 5 by hiking the support fees for Metatrader 4. The company has sent its clients a letter informing them that it is raising the monthly technical support fees for every additional MT4 server by about one third. The news comes only days after MetaQuotes told its clients it is also raising the monthly support fees for MT4.

Metaquotes are definitely doing their best to make sure that MT5 really is the future. Soon brokers probably will have no choice but to move onto it. I can’t say I am thrilled by the idea, I prefer to keep trading on MT4.

Hi again. After you started the thread I have viewed some videos of MT5 in action and it isn’t that bad at all. Actually, if not all maybe around 95% of MT4 features and functionalities are available also in MT5 + there are some new added that seems to be helpful and interesting. I am thinking of testing some demo accounts on MT5 in order to be prepared for a future without MT4. IMO the switch from 4 to 5 won’t be that difficult and it would be easy to get used to the new things. We’ll see :wink:

So it turns out that actually MT5 will be an improved version of MT4 which is ok as like eyedfondue said, the switch will not be difficult at all. But with this kind of move of Meatquotes, definitely most brokers will forget about offering MT4 because it won’t be profitably anymore. And if the MT5 has better features, then that will be the end of MT4.