Anybody use music to regulate their trading psychology?

It’s well known that music can have a huge influence on mood. When you intend to have a romantic dinner with your partner, do you play the same music as when you invite your parents round?

I’m just wondering if people on this forum would recommend playing music to increase concentration and lower stress levels when surfing the forex waves. It seems to me that listening to relaxing music might lower the level of stress and encourage a more responsible trading outlook.

I’m pretty new to all this, but as far as trading psychology goes it seems that the biggest pitfalls are closing a trade too early due to panic at prospective losses or failing to enter a trade early enough due to fear of possible negative consequences.

I guess I’m wondering if any of the more experienced traders here have anything to say about the effects of music on their trading performance.

It would be interesting to get some feedback. I guess trance, rock and other generally upbeat music genres could increase risk taking and might have a positive effect in high frequency trading, but dub, ambient and other down-tempo genres would encourage reflection and help to maintain a more balanced outlook.

[B]All[/B] my analysis and trading are done with rhythmical sounds (musical melodies or tones - and\or nature sounds) playing in the background. There are no lyrics, as they distract the mind by interfering with trading-related thinking and insight. (This is why I do not play melodies whose original lyrics I will ‘remember’ - thereby changing my focus. Analysis requires different kinds of mental activity from trading; so I play sounds that best support each one. When I go to enter\manage a trade, I play tracks that support thoughtless, focused action. It functions as a signal for my mind - like a signal for a dog who, when he hears the sound of the click; [U]instantly[/U] knows what his master wants him to do. (In this case, I am both dog and master.) During this ‘thoughtless’ stage, my only activity is to compare charts with my checklist. Preparing my mind with sound, has made my trading smooth…

I listen to slow, instrumental music at the beginning of my trading day. I consider the pre-market analysis as one of the most important factors, so I want to make sure I’m focused and calm. If you have any problems during the trading day, like watching your trade nervously, I would recommend find some sound that helps you relax. Try meditation, it can be of great help! But in order for meditation to help you, you need some patience and believe in it. Start with guided meditations that help you focus your attention to a certain theme or idea. Then, you can adjust in further and make it more personal.

Good luck

Fast rock music to while scalping your trading?

Thanks for the replies Sunland, Dali and fxbabe.

I really notice the effect of music on my day to day life so it’s good to hear that others are using music as a part of their trading psychology.

Thanks for reminding me of the sounds of nature, Sunland. :slight_smile: I live close to the Peak District National Park in the UK so it’s all to easy for me to forget that I’m surrounded by wonderful vistas and meandering rivers. My neighbours object to loud music since I live in a mid terraced house with paper thin walls. This has encouraged me to buy a pair of nice headphones and the result is like a cross between sensory deprivation and sensory immersion. The sounds of birds set to the backdrop of a weir in a river and the rustling of the wind in the trees would surely be a wonderfully relaxing backdrop to trading.

The lack of lyrics is also a good recommendation. Singing along or simply being distracted by the words of others would just be a diversion.

@fxbabe: I wondered about this. Fast music as a backdrop to scalping might be good for aiding the accelerated thought processes that go into analysing the market on short timescales, helping to maintain a rhythm and momentum while trading. But I was concerned that this might also lead to recklessness. Have you tried this?

Classical, esp Mozart, has been shown to be linked to higher intelligence levels than pop and rock music.

@Cyco: Good point. I heard that about classical before somewhere in the mists of time. I agree. The intricate plays of tune and rhythm against each other are far more stimulating than the repetitive beats of pop or the aggressiveness of much rock. However, there are rock ballads and instrumentals such as “Orion” by Metallica that bear consideration. Also, Metallica produced a whole album that was performed to the backing of an orchestra (Philadelphia symphony orchestra perhaps?). This brings an interesting crossover between classical and modern music that is hard to quantify.

I do have time for classical, but I find that the depth of classical is mirrored in much of modern electronica. The overlapping sounds that create soundscapes in thoughtful electronica leads me to many of the same mental states as does classical music. Personally, I would avoid anything that even gets close to the popular charts, as you say.

Mozart and Bach are both stellar examples of the heightened states of mind that classical music can create, however I’m not sure if they would be good for my trading. Too intense, perhaps?

Dang!
I’ve been playing “Another one bites the dust” before trading… this might explain a thing or two :34:

I listen to trance music!!! :smiley:

@green as grass: Nice one. :slight_smile: I get how that could influence you. If you’re ready for the losses you’ll be prepared for the gains. :wink:

@Alph: Listening to trance right now as I read about scalping on Forex Scalping - Extensive Guide on How to Scalp Forex

Uplifting trance definitely has the potential to keep an upbeat mood. :slight_smile:

Slower/meditative/relaxing music, like Kruder and Dorfmeister or thievery corp. :slight_smile: Not only they keep me calm, they somehow help to clean my head of bad strategies (absolutely insane trading). Of course sometimes dynamic music (like some elektro (deadmouse or stanton warriors)) helps to make quick decisions. Made a little money with that scalping-kind of strategy. But wouldn’t recommend it :slight_smile:

This is a great thread.

I always like to listen to Classical music in the morning on my way to work (still a slave to the man…) which I find helps me to get the day off to a great start.

The BBC here in the UK have collated some information on this link for students but I guess all we are doing is “studying” charts:
BBC - Student Life - Debate of the Week

Alternatively, one of the people I worked with at Butlins would start any training he did with us by sharing a motivational video to open up our brains to positivity (it was a bit leftfield but worked) - one of these was the You Tube video of “Where is Mat” a guy who tok a year off an dfilmed himself dancing all over the world, maybe like with learning styles, different people would appreciate seeing something rather than listening to something.

I am new to trading but I keep reading and seeing videos from traders saying technique is a small part of trading, metality is key to success, maybe this is why people like Greg Secker have done so well, they BELIEVE, and if listening to music does that to your brain, bring it on!

Personally, I prefer cash register music :53:

Seriously, I find any sound distracting if it is sound that is intended to impress itself on consciousness, which almost all music is. Whereas the noise of garbage trucks in the street, dogs barking, television going in another room etc don’t bother me. Go figure!

Bottom line for me is that music has a place, but that place is somewhere where I can give a lot more of my attention to it than I can when I’m trading.

Erron

you guys must hear this music, he made me gain unbelievable results this week,
Daniel Waples - Solo hang played in a tunnel :slight_smile: - YouTube
plus, you have to empty your mind, never revenge, do not push yourself to make pips it will make you stress. after gain some pip, sit back and relax like do some meditation (like me, i pray because i am muslim)… it will give positive energy.

good luck guys.

Hmmm, I used to listen to the radio but then again sometimes the presenters annoy me, or the news is repetitive.

@AuthenticFX: I understand what you’re saying about music being a distraction for you. Some people I know can’t read while listening to music because it keeps pulling them out of the story. I guess it’s what helps each of us maintain focus that counts. I live in a mid-terrace so I usually have some kind of background sounds to blank out the sounds of diy, yelling at the kids, etc. Usually tv, but that really does distract me when trying to concentrate. I think it’s something about the human voice that we all naturally respond to and feel compelled to pay attention to.

While demo trading over the last few days, I’ve recently rediscovered an internet radio station that I liked a long while ago. Not sure if promoting other websites is against forum rules so I’ll just say it’s a no-adverts listener supported station with loads of channels and no “talk radio” spots or news bulletins. There’s the (very) occasional self-promotional jingle, but other than that it’s pure music. The channel described as a “nicely chilled plate of ambient/downtempo beats and grooves” is great for my concentration.

It is true that music had a great impact on mood. Just like me the traders who trade at any place where they face a lot of disturbance they can use music to concentrate on trading. Music will hide other noise and variables that influence on concentration they can do easily trading according to their will just listening their favourite music.

Music is used in many areas as a means of relaxation or inspiration; which I know you already know as well. I generally have music going on around me most of the day. I can’t say I really use a specific type to help with focus or anything. It could be classical or heavy metal going in the background when I sit down to analyze. It is fantastic for killing that third party noise from outside though. INFERNAL KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

Very interesting thread. Playing low volume deep house or progressive house keeps me focused on doing my daily analysis or sometimes browse and read for hours long. The fun part is I’m able to enjoy the music as well. Turning off 3G/wifi on my phone helps a lot too, since I get a lot of push notifications throughout the day.

Fast-paced music doesn’t help me concentrate at all, I like to listen to jazz while I’m trading. Makes it a less stressful experience.