Are you emotionally affected by your profits or losses?

“Feelings do not sabotage trading; unwillingness to feel them forces Fred to set up dramas. Consider feelings as friends, and look for their positive intentions. Promote the flow.”

http://www.seykota.com/tribe/TT_Process/

I am a pro now. I am affected by it. The one who doesn’t is lying or is a com0lete idiot.

We all traders are in emotions having profits or loss . Profit makes a trader much confident he expect more in next trading. In loss too they make emotional decisions to recover loss , That is why a good trader remains away from emotions during trading.

I try to avoid situations of large losses. It can led to a nervous breakdown. And when I get a profit, I try not to puff up. In general, you need a balance here.

For me emotionally just affected from losses result of my trading , and its not in profit result while when at profit result will affecting the greediness i think , so from that the mental strenght is really necessary when doing this business to deal with the pressure of forex market condition either in profit condition moreover in loss result conditions

That was good thing because there are many traders who can gain big profits but they could lose big amount in short time either. It is good thing to prevent big losses with proper money management because forex is not how to gain profit only but also how to limit the loss so as overall, we could gain consistent profit. In our emotion, we shouldn’t be too happy when we got profit and we shouldn’t be too depress when we got loss. If there is proper money management, profit and loss have been managed so traders didn’t need to lose more than they could afford to take in each transaction.

It is expected to be affected by losses, because it is out hard earned money going down the drain, but a good trader must learn how to control his emotions while trading.

You must realize something. When I first started to research investments I started at real estate but the quote is valid here as well. The person who spoke it was either Warren Buffett or Robert Kiyosaki… I cannot remember. Something along the lines of " I have had the pleasure of meeting a multitude of different people from different backgrounds. “I have met countless poor or un-successful people in my life who have never lost a dollar. But I’ve never met a successful or rich person who hasn’t lost money.” of course i’m para-phrasing but the quote shook me to the core at the time of reading.

1 Like

Yes, losses and profits have huge impact on our emotions and am no different from the rest of the herd where in have been trading emotionally only to lose the potential money that could have been made with factual reasoning. Its time for us to realize the fact that its only strong mindset which can help us succeed the forex trading business and not emotions.

Being emotional cannot be completely eradicated because emotions is part us. When i lost most of trades i always felt very bad even when i understand that loss is part of forex. So whether we are winning or losing our emotion is always affected.

Yes i same with this where its was happened to me many times , i am so emotionally when my trade shown loss result , ater that i will get high tension will be anger then do revenge , its hard to avoid this condition in my trade

I think its more in the sens of holding a losing trade or letting run a winning one with emotions rather than be rational!

It is right that there is no trader who can trade without emotion at all because we are still human so it’s still possible to be affected with emotion in trading. But if there is proper money management and risk management then we won’t lose more than we could afford to take even in emotion condition. So, traders can’t remove emotion as part of trading but they could control it with good trading plan to follow.

I’m barely affected by either losses or successes.
I feel disappointment when a trade loses but thats mainly because it means I read the charts wrong or made some other wrong decision.
I used to feel quite bad about losses but not anymore, maybe because I know I can easily afford to blow my account many times over, maybe because I accept its a natural part of trading to lose sometimes.

But if we want to help ourselves its always better for us to control our emotions when we are trading in this highly potential field where making money can be to the sky limits but only if the traders have their own trading rules and discipline.

Control emotion well is not easy thing to do because condition of market won’t be same time to time so it’s not easy to control emotion as your planning. Good trading plan is important thing in forex business because you can manage amount of profit and loss in trading but good planning will be useless if traders can’t be discipline to follow the rule. So, traders must capable to control emotion in order to be discipline with the rule.

It may not be easy, but I think it is very important to master that task otherwise trading will become rather difficult to handle and will lead to plenty of losses.

OP says Winning makes you high, and losing makes you suicidal.

Welcome to Forex - Enjoy your time here :slight_smile:

This is where strengthening your discipline comes in. Finding a ‘middle ground’ that you lock into by master control of your discipline and strengthening your will power.

Step outside the lines and you will feel these emotional extremes.

Like other people have said, we are only human - and this is always going to something we must deal with, and keep under control.

You are right maybe with trading rules and discipline can help us not easy being emotional during trade in loss result nor profit result. but any how its not easy , as [B]bearish [/B]said market condition is different from time to time , we will face unpredictable condition that make our mind and mental get pressure and feel frustration also

No matter how we trade whether on the losing or on the earning side we are very much affected by or emotion . But putting it under control is what matters most. And is possible most times when we have carefully mapped out trading plan.