Overcoming fear

I only learned to overcome that fear - and I still don’t always succeed - as I accumulated more and more trading experience. You just get numb to it in the end. Most of the time.
The other approach is to trade with a lot small enough that the loss wouldn’t hurt you too much, thus allowing you to be more patient with it. But that also means accepting that your profit wouldn’t be very large either.

1 Like

We have to clearly anticipate the moves in the Forex markets and this is why we have to know which is a good time for doing our trades and how we are going to get our trading income …

An African proverb says, if you are looking for the eyes of a fish, go to the head. What is the point? For you to be able to overcome your fears, you need to start out by understanding what you’re afraid of. Again, develop a personalized rules-based trading system.

Start out by understanding what you’re afraid of. Gaining a better understanding of your fears will help you establish a trading plan that best suits your goals with your level of risk tolerance.

Most traders share the same fear - the fear of losing money, I think. I don’t think that’s hard to identify. However, I do agree that a properly made trading plan can allay at least some of that fear.

Fear is with every trader . Most of the times I loose money due to fear because I had no good analysis and close positions at loss again and again. Then I decide to take some risk with good analysis , choose small lot in trading set SL and wait for profit . This thing helped me to overcome fear.

If your analysis was flawed wouldn’t the reason for the loss be the analysis, and not the fear?

Hm that actually sounds logical. But still you cannot always be 100% sure of your analysis and maybe then a certain amount of fear occurs as a natural reaction.

The fear occurs, I think, because of people’s anxiety caused by the unknown. It’s a primal reaction that is perfectly natural - yes, you’ve made an analysis, yes, it could even be a good analysis, but you’re still not sure whether you’re right. And that causes fear. Or at least it does in my case.

I experienced this kinda fear too. Sometimes I don’t feel that confident about my own strategy and then panic while trading. This fear of losing makes me even more nervous and I end up blowing my trade. i agree that Practice and discipline is needed to overcome this fear.

hi guys, I just finished reading a book “Trading in the Zone”…although there were “boring” parts in it, I found it quite useful still perhaps you guys can find it so
good luck

Thanks mate! Yaa “trading in the zone” is one of the best books on trading. Must reads to know the emotional aspects of trading.

We all experience that fear, unfortunately. It’s simply part of our human nature and it’s really difficult to overcome.

You should start with what are you afraid of, if its losing the depo, then try trading smaller volumes, but enter the deals more often.

I agree about the smaller positions, but I am not sure how trading more often helps exactly with the anxiety caused by trading. The more you trade, the more anxious you will be, the more money you will lose.

Be comfortable with trading, in anxiety you will not decide well . Think as much you can before open any position. Because good analysis and right plan will help to overcome fear and anxiety. When you are trading with proper risk be sure you will manage trades according to market.

Yes small lots and low risk trading is a good way to overcome fear. When we are able to get out put from market we feel courage to work more good. less risk is supportive because we loose less and easy to manage profitable trades.

It can be, even a number of novice traders face this problem after making several SL’s in a row! Yes, no one making here 100% perfect analysis but till now expert Forex traders are confident enough. Because they have enough idea about how to recover!

If you ask me, everyone havet that problem from time to time, not just novice traders. True, experienced traders have learned with deal with their emotions - or at least some of them have - but we’re all still human and we still have weaknesses from time to time.

Yes, making live trading mistake is not a major problem, problem is- don’t take care about trading mistakes! Yes, we are Human and emotions and greed is our natural habit! That’s the importance of money manage policy!