Anybody heard of System for Trending and Ranging Markets

Hi all,
anybody heard of the above system for trending and ranging markets?

i got this indicator called ATREMA.mq4 from the other website… but not sure whether is it workable and do we really need another indicator to confirm the signal?

can anyone help? thanks

My plate is full just now, but I will have more to say about this begin of next year at the earliest.

hi hi… so anyone have this indicator? i not sure whether can i attach this indicator as this is not from me… but i wish to get some ideas from all of you…

whether which TF is best for this indicator and any more indicator to confirm the signal… thanks

well, post the indicator sir;)

use this with the indicator 3EMA…

ATREMA.zip (953 Bytes)

thanks, and you say its for ranging markets ?

Hum interesting, I guess the red line would be some type of pivot point. but no I have not seen this one before and on google there is no info. I will leave up on 5min chart and evaluate. usd/jpy pair

Its the one over at forex factory right? Ive got atrema installed along with another couple of indicators too on a dummy account, more becuase i want to see how they will all link together…

Im a newb still very much in ‘lurk and learn’ mode… Although i think im pretty well read :slight_smile: The guys over at FF dont seem to know what this is. One guy said it was keltner bands, and it is something similar. I think the actaul system is called ‘Bollinger Band bands’ (note the extra word bands!!)

The upper and lower bands are bollinger bands with standard deviation of 1 and 2 and a 20SMA comes into play too.

This approach is detailed in a book i just read called Technical Analysis of the Currency Market by Boris Schlossberg. He suggests that the system can be used for both trending and ranging markets.

Basically if the price action stays between the top bollinger bands its in an upward trend, if the price action stays in the lower bollinger band its a downward trend, and in a ranging market the price action will ping between the 2.

The problems ive found is that in strong trends the price action often breaks outside the bands (ie above the top band or below the lowest band) meaning its hard to set an entry point following the rules. Also in a ranging market quite often the price action doesnt fully cross the bands.

Im not knocking it mind… i like it as an extra source of info and think its quite usefull. Ive not really drawn any firm conclusions on it yet though.

Try googling for Bolinger Band Bands. Theres some good info on Investopedia which is 3 or 4 hits down i think (at time of writing)

Perhaps this my first useful post since joining?? lol

The above post describes how I use BB bands Its very simple that’s good. I have found it works best in a ranging market. I scalp ERU/JPY during the Asian session. If price is bouncing around to much as you said can happen in a strong trend up your time frame and adjust your stops and lot size. I don’t follow a strict set of rules to enter and exit I just use the bands as a guide. If the bands are moving very close together watch out and get ready to close out an open trade as it can move against you fast, or you might get lucky and catch a move in your favor.
I used the word lucky witch is a big no-no in the supper analyzed, indicator covered charts we all try out, but accept the fact that some times a system will work and sometimes the market changes in a way that will shoot it down fast. My limited experience has taught me that when I sit down to trade start small. See if my trades are working then move up to 2% per trade. As I said I scalp so I make multiple trades a night. This has taught me when to stay away.