Fundamentals analysis on day-trading

Are fundamental analysis’s for a day trader is limited to just the economical news release timings and the rest not really relevant? Your kind opinions please.

I believe there is a difference between FA and trading the news. You can trade the news but most people avoid it like the plague, although some people say it can be quite profitable.

Fundamental Analysis is i believe for longer time frames, weekly, monthly and yearly based on the inequalities of the economics of the countries involved. Differences in interest rates, imbalances of GDP, sentiment of the growth perspective, CPI, geopolitics etc.

To me day trading is purely technical analysis and price action.

I would second that… when intra-day or swing trading fundamentals are no place for a thought/bias… for a couple reasons:

1. You can’t possibly relate cause to effect. Humans are great lab rats. If you look at humans, they love to “justify” and they love to attach reason with cause and affect… knowing this, to many traders in my opinion ask WHY questions, and why is this happening, or why is that happening. Nobody knows, and even if you do think your right, at what degree of certainty can you possibly hold your claim? So intra-day trading or swing trading on fundamentals are not something I would recommend.

2. If a jobs number came out better then expected, and price turns the other way , something that fundamentally should not happen, then all the wonderful news stations (sarcastic) will say its “because it wasn’t that much of a surprise”, or they will come up with something. Because they know people tune in to hear them answer the WHY question (see point 1).

So to conclude, using funnymentals with intra-day/swing trading is quite dangerous…

Oh and if I have not put the nail in the coffin, then how do you place a logical stop on a fundamental idea? Because when you place a stop, it should tell you something… and if you get stopped out on an intraday trade , then it doesn’t tell you anything cause fundamentally on a daily chart, it probably didn’t even blink and your bias would still be in your original direction …

Stops are more important then entry points in my opinion …

I could also be totally wrong and out to lunch… I’ll leave others to offer their opinions too :smiley:

I’m not a fundamental trader, but can tell you something.

The last few weeks we’ve been waiting for the dollar to gain some strenght, pairs have made historical higher highs and lower lows.

Today’s ECD President’s speech was supposed to give the dollar some power, and it was the other way down.

Lately this has made no sense to me. But that’s just my appreciation.

I think it isn’t good to base your trading just in fundamentals.

:slight_smile:

I too think that trading with FA is dangerous. The charts never lie.
But you cannot deny that FA will help one to put the market in perspective.

I have been looking at charts and news for a while, and I can tell you, whenever there is a news announcement, the market will go wild!
I do not trade FA. But I use FA as an indicator that there will be extra volitility in the markets around the period of news announcements.

Until the day I can understand the terminology of news and its relation to the chart movements, I will only use Fundamentals as an indicator to be extra careful during the period of news announcements.

What are your thoughts on XAU? Love to hear. Thanks! Alex