Free Excel Trading Journal

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum but thought I would post a template of my trading journal I have just made because after searching the net I couldn’t find one that exactly fitted my needs so I made this one.
It may still need some ironing out and any feedback is appreciated.

I hope some others find this useful.

Cheers

Trade Journal.zip (127 KB)

118 Likes

This is a really good trading journal . Barely found anything like yours . Thanks for posting it up and sharing it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Found a couple of formula errors. On the “overview” tab in cell I35 the formula to figure max pip price should be =(E8*.02)/((E31-E33))10,000. You had the final number as 1,000. And in cell I37 the formula to figure max position size should be =(E8.02)/((E31-E33)). You had =(E8.02)/((E31-E33)*1,000)*10,000. Same for J35 and J37 (for the Yen). But other than that this looks like it may work. You may want to add a cell where the user can plug in their own risk percentage instead of just calculating it automatically at 2% of the account equity. Many people only risk .5% to 1% max of their account balance on any one trade.

7 Likes

Thanks for your journal Stray.

In my case, I just make use of myfxbook.com. It automatically tracks the trades I make, gives me these history details:

and these summaries:

Again, those information are automatically generated, I don’t have to manually type them in. Trades I make gets reflected in that myfxbook account, automatically. (I lost track how many times i used “automatically” :D)

Here is my journal from that website. Please don’t laugh at me, I’m still negative, still learning :smiley:
Oh, you can also choose which of the data you want to share. Like in my case, you don’t get to see how many millions (or cents) I’m loosing. LoL. But you get to see my performance. I have also enabled viewing my open trades, past trades, history, etc, except my actual money.

Though I admit, it doesn’t completely give me all the information I want, such as my take profit/stop loss (in pips), reward to risk ratio, and percent risk (although you can type these information on the “comment” section of the trade). For that, I simply make use of a google document I can view almost anywhere, as long as I have internet connection (and of course, a web browser). No need to carry the document with me, and end up having different versions of the document. You can edit it anywhere, all the PCs on which that document is open gets updated as well.

So I simply would recommend a google document spreadsheet instead of creating an excel file. Well you can convert Stray’s excel file into a google spreadsheet file easily.

Here is my google document for those who want to have a look at it.

10 Likes

Hi,I’m a complete Newbie from South Africa.I would like to know step-wise how to load and implement Stray’s trading
journal if i’m not asking too much
Regarda
Limbo

Hi Rowan,
Thanks for pointing that out. And yes I agree you should be able to change your risk.
I have made adjustments and attached version 2 here.

5 Likes

Hi Limbo,
I’m not sure if you want to know how to unzip the file or you are unsure of what to enter in the spreadsheet?

I hope some others find this useful.

Thank you very much for sharing the spread of Trading Journal. Trade Journal Overview will save lots of time. Good job! version 2 is also good.

Thank you, very good journal!
I think in the long run, I will code one myself, where I cann automatically press a button and it takes a screenshot and so on…
But for now, very good!

Awesome journal, just what I was looking for.
Thanks
Cheers
M

“Things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone … but things you do for others remain as your legacy” Thanks you taking the time to construct and post your trading journal. Your effort is sincerely appreciated.

8 Likes

I appreciate your hard work and dedication to create this trade journal.

Thanks! Really usefull and saves me a lot of work :20:

Great job. Thank you for taking the time to do this and for posting it!

really like your trading journal been lookin for one for awhile thanks so much for sharing it made my life a heck of a lot easier

Thank you for taking the time out to complete this, I found this after doing a generic google search and I joined this forum just so I could thank you for this!

Hi fellow traders! newbie here. :smiley: wouldn’t it be better if it have ‘swap’ column in it. just a suggsntion tho.

Thank you Rowan for sharing the Trade Journal

have a profitable day,
harrytan

When I try to use this awesome looking Trade Journal, the “entry price”, “stop loss” and “take profit” boxes all have drop down arrows in them on the “Journal page”. The drop down boxes instead of containing numerical data have currency pairs listed in them. The boxes won’t accept numbers and say “invalid value” when you attempt to enter a number. Can anyone help? Ty in advance.

T