1% per day on a $10000 account is too much to ask?

I don’t want to rain on anybody’s parade, but from my experience, both personal and what I’ve seen: If these are your first steps into trading I would suggest that you should be pleased if you can end your first year of trading not having lost money.

It is possible to make 10% or more monthly consistently and with good risk behaviour. But, for me at least there was a learning curve and the school of hard knocks.

Good luck.

As still a newbie to Forex, in my opinion having the mentality of entering and making and becoming a millionaire over days, weeks, months is unrealistic…

One thing which ive learnt purely from browsing these forums (which i wouldnt have learnt just in the babypips school) over the last couple of months is a better target in Forex is not to shoot for the stars in one week, but better to be consistent over years making smaller profit…

When i finally feel im ready to lose my forex-ginity and go live, i’ll be over the moon if my account can earn me a better ROI every month than it can sitting in a bank… Because for me, this is what the game is about, making my money work for me and not going out and working for my money…

Best of luck on your Forex adventure… Hope its profitable

Sanj

even 0,5%/day is to much…but daily figures will kill you…you should aim weekly but better monthly.

Agree with spike :smiley:

I used to have such expectations as well. not till I made a table to calculate the returns.

Good point. I only gained interested in pips (last Nov) when my stocks had achieved <2% p.a. for the past 3 years. Consequently I read the school of pipsology, made a plan and set myself a goal of 2% p.m which at this stage I am achieving extremely comfortably. Personally I think its about setting a ‘realsitic’ trading plan and sticking to it.

As long as expectations are kept 'rea’l this site is simply superb.

Thanks, Alex

1% per day is achievable. But make sure that you are not going after it every day. Better calculate it weekly or monthly. If one can control his emotion, only then it could be achievable. Otherwise, going after the target will eat up the whole money, for sure.

Trying to make 1% everyday is a good plan, but more importantly, think about what happens if you loss 1-3% for a few days after each other, emotionally you will try to make this up by trading bigger which in turn, speaking from experience :34:, I will cost you dearly.

Don’t get lost in the mindset of ‘I’m going to make 1% everyday’, because you can lose 5-10% everyday just as quick.

I agree with you. Just go for a monthly figure, like 3%,5%,10% etc per month.

Doing 1% a day puts pressure to make that 1% that day, which might make you put on bad trades if your setups do not show up. Mental discipline is key here.

I’ve ran a spread sheet starting with $100 if you compound 1% daily…in three years you will have well over $150,000…so this inspired me to do just that…since 3 years doesn’t seem to be a long time to make lots of money i mean by the end of the three year that would equate to almost $2,000 a day! after 3 trading days my results are as follow…
day 1) 0.34% day 2) .69% day 3) 2.0%
I’m making 10 cents a pip so 10 pips for me is 1% not sure how to calculate the leverage?

I think 1% per day is a lofty goal personally. I shoot for 3-5% per month but my strategy remains safe (in my view at least - haha) and hasn’t failed me so far. I wish you all the best and if you can explain to me how to make 1%/day I’ll take the advice :slight_smile:

thenewbruce…i’ve tried a ton of systems and methods…and finally cleared all my charts of all indicators in the book/platform…and put only one…a 21 ema on the 5 minute chart…sell/buy when the candle closes below/above, check it out super simple yet effective…often times it keeps on going…but i get my 10 pips and get out. for example look at the eur/usd chart right now…candle just closed above the 21 ema…on the 5 minute chart…but i’m not taking that trade because i already got my 2% today (today was a good day)

Aiming for any amount of pips or percentage each day is fraught with danger. It is best to have a long term average to aim for, but the biggest thing to aim for and to execute perfectly is 100% adherence to your trading plan and money management.
If either is compromised, you will be compromised and will only be in forex for a small amount of time, rather than forex being your instrument of choice for monetary gain.

Yes, I’d love 4% a week, but I hold no pressure to gain it. I lost 8% last week in an unfortunate losing streak that we all have at some stage, but that was capped by money management. I have made half that back this week, however, I am not actually looking at getting my money back as such. I am concentrating on the trading plan and money management. Those thinks alone will move moe forwards. If I get back to my highest equity point (was there before my 8% in losses) this week, next week or next month is not the real issue because it will get there with discipline. Unfortunately, with the current market conditions, my methodology has suffered a bit and not trading as much. I have even gone to trading only “classic” setups from this week to lift the strike rate back up a bit.

Anyway, sorry for all my musings above, but it may prove useful to some.

Tassie :slight_smile:

5% a week is achievable. But not easily in my opinion.

Over the long term if you can return 10% per month consistently then you are out trading 99% of forex traders.

Thanks for the piptips pippuller! Very helpful!

Like I said, don’t ever have a fixed target in mind. If you have a sound system, go with it when there’s set-up, otherwise don’t.

Never chase your target.

I’d be stuffed at the moment if I was chasing a % each week :slight_smile: Trading very slow for me of late, but that is where true patience and temperment comes in. Hopefully, if you are going to be around long term, you will wait it through. If you start “creating” trading opportunities, the time will come when you lose your account.

In my own circumstance, the trading (or lack of lately) has taught me that when I end up going “full time trader”, I need to make sure I have enough liquidity to pass through periods like now without having to trade, and have enough liquid cash to get through. I have heard that a person needs maybe 6 months cash to live on separate from the trading account. At the moment, I can see why it is so important :slight_smile:

nope. I trade with free live account with varengoldfx. I made 19% gain with 0.01 lot size scalping. I use 1 MIN TF to entry/exit with 5-15 MIN TF to see market bias.

If you want to quote what you have made, it is also useful stating what risk % you had per trade in making you gain. Myfxbook is good to help illustrate it.

In my opinion, making 19% with a consistent S/L at 2% of capital is a great effort, however, if you did not use a S/L or risked too much, I would not be so happy for you as it would be moving a trading method more towards gambling

here’s my trade log. faststare08’s Profile @ Forex Factory. sorry I cut my loss but if it’s clear for me the market reversal. I knew my SL is too much subjective on my part that why I can’t explain with you that

Hi,

“Is 1% per day gains compounded daily realistic?”

Well, an initial target of 1/4%~1/2% per day, hand picking and researching your underlying stock or commodity.

1. Underlying stocks - purchase and sell weekly or biweekly covered calls where you control the asset.

2. But options on futures markets you are intimately familiar with, like lumber,oil, Gold,etc.

3. Maintain liquidity - no withdrawals, unless it is an emergency or you can borrow the money at a lower spread. Do you want to risk consistent compounded daily gains of 1/4% frivolously? Can you imagine taking out $30,000 present value what the future value (real cost) of that car will be plus the depreciation?

Anyone can be beat the “hedge funds,” since the “managers,” cannot tell you where the markets are going and are not going to tell their clients that they should have really understood that “90% of the world’s problems can be solved, if people just understood the exponential/decay formula”

Go for it, I do it while flying, it’s what keeps Paper money and credit going more than labor!

Cheers, Drew