16 candles in the '58 edsel'

[quote=“odds_on, post:1195, topic:71504”]If you nibbled on it after it danced with & left last week’s highs (& the 1.30 figure) in its rear view mirror on Tuesday then good for you!
Another hop & skip & it’ll register fresh yearly highs.[/quote]
Yeah there have been one or two significant violations recently.

Various aussie & canadian dollar pairings + euro & a couple sterling candidates are either threatening or have broken out to fresh yearly highs/lows. Gold especially has impressed since busting through the 2nd quarter dual yearly top at 1295 towards the end of last month.

Not so much as a sniff of a prior weekly low violation on that instrument since early july either.
Talk about a vote of confidence! :slight_smile:

Just a question, maybe a silly one, but anyway, what do you consider as a weekly opening price? is it the first price on Sunday at the Fx market re-opening or the London shift starting time?

I haven’t actually thought of needing to know that piece of information. I would put more weight on the high or low of the week. Now if the high or low is right there on the open, or involved in a gap of price,. I would be patiently waiting for price to get into o groove before acting.

on the normal retail platforms it’s the first ticks off the NZ open.

The title piqued my curiosity & the content is turning into an interesting & very eclectic mix I must say.

Haven’t read the entire thread yet, but I’ve seen fleeting references to scanners & automated models, subjects which don’t seem to generate much enthusiasm on forums even though these days, & particularly in FX, they’re gaining traction at a rate of knots. Having said that, this is an entry level website so I suppose it’s not too surprising.

So what type of scanners, filtering & automated mechanisms were you guys introduced to by the op’s sketcher? & do any of you utilise currency specific screeners & auto trade programmes?

[quote=“Jocelyn, post:830, topic:71504”]
On the programming front we had to put the brakes on I’m afraid. Although they’re resource rich, we’re time poor[/quote]

The standard & publicly available models are quite inflexible & limiting. Decent fx scanners are scarce too. Clearly you’re not talking about off the shelf or basic EA’s here, & on that score do the op’s undertake out of house development & programming work? & is the funding introduced or direct?

Would be interesting to discover how the business arrangement played out because from my limited exposure to the forum thus far, it appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

They’re market generic. They include spot & currency futures but that sector only accounts for around 30% of activity. They’re weighted to stocks & commodities.

2 are trend biased, 1 of which specifically identifies & prioritizes candidates based on volatility metrics. They’re both primed to take advantage of multi-day rollover/pyramiding plays wherever possible.

The 3rd is an intra-day average range/mean reversion model which identifies & executes pre-determined percentage extension moves. Although it’s a 24/7 scan/filter engine which is designed for high turnover, multiple round trips, it only executes when specific conditions come into play. Again, the weighting primarily leans towards stocks/equities & commodities.

[quote=“corin, post:1200, topic:71504”]& on that score do the op’s undertake out of house development & programming work? & is the funding introduced or direct?

Would be interesting to discover how the business arrangement played out[/quote]
They design, develop & update the software themselves dependent on current market cycles, & that’s the key to it’s success. The engines perform all the work but they still need to be switched off at the appropriate times. As far as I know they don’t hire out, but no doubt they’ll chip in if I’m mistaken.

I was working on my own automated stuff based around some of their content, as were a couple of other thread regulars. Some of the tasks I required the engine to perform were beyond my capabilities & experience, so they kindly stepped in & assisted with refining some of the filtering & execution processes.

They’ve previously matched & introduced traders to investment funding opportunities, & a couple of us were very interested in venturing down that route once/if we achieved a consistent enough track record or showed sufficient promise betting their concepts.

That’s the only reason we received personal hands on assistance with the automated side.
The progression down that route was a no brainer really as the stuff they’ve presented lends itself perfectly to that end.

Entering into a working relationship with them not only allowed us to fast track our own aims & objectives, but it saved us a massive amount of time trying to sift out the wheat from the chaff. It also exposed us to another layer of opportunity via the intraday/ high turnover stuff, which can be a minefield unless you’re lucky enough to receive input from those experienced in that activity. The real benefits are gained through the time/effort/cost savings.

The financing & contact doors they’ve opened would ordinarily have remained shut. Plus the chances of linking up with top end programmers & developers out there who aren’t already contracted-in or approachable are nigh on impossible.

It’s very unusual for me to be in a right place/right time scenario so I made darned sure I wasn’t going to let this opportunity slip by, lol.

No
Not enough time, inclination or financial motivation.
We can generate far more bang for our buck developing & tweaking what we currently have for funded associates & long standing punters.

There are only so many hours in a day & we enjoy our downtime too much + señor speedybump breaks out in hives if he has to concentrate for longer than 17 minutes at a time.

They earn, we earn & everyone’s a happy camper.

not 16 minutes then?! :slight_smile:

haha, nice one.

No not 16 - he’s a wildling from north of the wall, some place beyond Skipton.
It’s so cold & barren up there time slows down so he needs to add a minute when he stomps into civilised lands.

aye that may be so my lovelies, but when it comes to churning out music there’s no-one to touch us wildlings!

This has been a long but great read.

Will start testing on demo account.

Thanks to all contributors.

[quote=“sketcher, post:1201, topic:71504”]Although it’s a 24/7 scan/filter which is designed for high turnover, multiple round trips, it only executes when specific conditions come into play.
The engines perform all the work but they still need to be switched off at the appropriate times.[/quote]
That’s where most people come unstuck when applying automation. You really do need to know when to hit the pause button to maximise their effectiveness. Varying your approaches won’t do any harm either, as you’re primed for the constantly changing volatility that’s been noticeably evident this year across most markets.

Sounds like it’s progressing well.
Good for you.

You really can’t argue that point. You only need to take a look around most forums to see the constant struggles & frustrations experienced by the majority attempting to self-educate from books, courses & pseudo experts. It rarely ends well.

That makes perfect sense.
Like anything worth its salt, if the quality is that good it won’t need pimping.

I still haven’t got to where the previous poster is, but agree with dts, from what I’ve read so far, the thread throws up some entertaining & interesting discussions. I look forward to continuing.

Are you guys (incl broker side) witnessing any uplift in like-for-like algo data set activity out there currently? I don’t see much pressure of any significance either side of the price axis across any regional pairings - I’m referencing fx by the way.

There’s still plenty of action across other markets, but I’m not seeing much in currency blocks, especially last week. Not normally surprising of course given time of year, but with brexit & other developments high on the agenda I’m not seeing any particular uplift or extension of any noticeable degree.

[quote=“corin, post:1208, topic:71504”]
Are you guys (incl broker side) witnessing any uplift in like-for-like algo data set activity out there currently?[/quote]
T’was the night before xmas when all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

As you correctly note, time of year & large doses of lethargy are contributing to nothing worth writing home about.
Apparently, usual candidates were visible on fx into late november/early december on one or two majors & crosses each-way off key levels, but they’re only nibbling in patches into years end, grabbing fast profits as has been the norm of late, or squaring up accounts that are actually still profitable.

Money was made in fx this year during 2nd & 3rd quarters chasing the buck down the ladder & the euro up it. Outside of that sector it was being put to work in the momentum candidates riding longs in palladium, US & Asian stock markets & other in-form commodities. Same on the short side with sugar, natural gas & orange juice the primary form horses.

These guys here, sketcher/corpellan et al, on similar objectives but smaller financial exposure, have existing business still in play, on some of the above which most smaller outfits still have, but from hereon in it’s purely a squaring & flattening exercise on fx specifically.

The guys haven’t reported any noticeable event driven size to get excited about from anywhere within currencies this quarter. The bulk of the profitable bets have been laid on the aforementioned this year across the auto execution routes.

Sufficient capitalisation allows you to always dabble where the action is. It not only ups the probability factor but also spreads the risk. Same deal, to a certain extent, applies if you’re playing exclusive fx.
Work smarter not harder by riding & maximising current momentum.

what do you do corin?

I rig currency price data for a UK clearer :wink:
Used to do it for a prime broker, but the grub & tea is a notch or two more palatable in the bank dining rooms.

Ho ho ho….one of the real important tasks then!
It’s not the one with its own shoe-shine boy in the executive restroom by any chance?

When you hit the required minimum post count, fire off a pm to Scott (double echo) & jjay.
You all can swap war stories.

Nah, it’s bound to be the one who double dips their cucumbers before serving them up in neat little triangle sandwiches with the crusts cut off for high tea meetings on the 5th floor. Aint that right Scotty boy?!

Those old school tie types sure know how to entertain.
Obviously that excludes you jay having been dragged up on the wrong side of the tracks - you just struck lucky on the final interview when the chief recruiter was sick with man flu & the HR bird took a shine to your pretty features.

On the subject of ho ho ho’s, where are those 2 americano lassies with their christmas jing-a-lings??
I’d like to request another festive tune by those sexy jap girlies pleeeze, like wot you presented the past couple years…they must have a stockpile of them ready for our pleasures

[quote=“double_6, post:1213, topic:71504”]
Nah, it’s bound to be the one who double dips their cucumbers before serving them up in neat little triangle sandwiches with the crusts cut off for high tea meetings on the 5th floor.[/quote]
:slight_smile: You’re far too familiar with them for my liking!

But alas, it’s the one 3 doors down across the road where you have to know the “handshake” just to get past Mervyn on the door.

it’s as if they recorded it solely with you in mind billy!

apologies, but it’s a re-re-re-repeat of years gone by
it is a seasonal classic though
enjoy :slight_smile: