60 years later, the beginning of the new EU

Week now closing - there has been a marked turnaround on GBP.

The catalyst was a letter from the Brexit Secretary dated over a week ago which references Nov 21st and implies that a deal will be announced by that date.

The latest negotiations are in the “tunnel” so there are no leaks. Leaks have helped unravel discussions in the past.

The UK PM’s office issued a statement later in the day to describe the Nov 21st date as “speculation”.

The market reacted on the letter release immediately and continued so over the next 2 days. The suspicion that the date idea is correct and was released unintentionally persists, although there is zero evidence - but then there is the tunnel.

The reaction also triggered a squeeze on the shorts - for learners a squeeze is often painful and often affects those who didn’t take their profits when offered - always think about the profit.

Anyways, the future - for longer term it’s a good thing, reaction to a deal will be more muted now. Guys who went long GBP mid week will be likely thinking about some short term profit today.

I see a double top on hrly forming so will be watched.

Yesterday’s action.

That was 2 weeks ago, there has been much that has happened since then.

I will only focus on pound price since then - that DT proved to be of value (arrow down) in all the shenanigans of this past week.

The only comment on the Brexit debate that I feel able to make is that there is a new Iron Lady on block.

That’s all in the past, as always the learning curve lies to the right of the chart.

The market expects that the new Iron Lady will win any leadership contest that may arise, expect a dip in Gbp if the 48 letters actually materialize, expectation is that the numbers are short.

Then next week likely a consolidation on Gbp, that up arrow at 2700 has some value if a dip does happen.

The market is more focused on the Westminister voting numbers, therein lies the outcome - that is for the next post.

Iron lady ?

The woman’s a wimp !

This is the second time her best people have resigned from her “solution” !

WE voted to “GET OUT” - there were no caveats or “need for agreement” !

Just FDI !

The parliametary career politicians do NOT have the support of the Country - who cares what the international traders value the Pound at ? That will all come right in the fullness of time.

WHat do YOU think to the proposal that we should cut the whole of Ireland adrift and put a border down the “Irish sea” ?

It May be correct that no-one else wants to get involved at this stage - it is potentially a “Career buster” - but please do not even think of this woman in the same breath as “MAGGIE” ! :rofl:

Falstaff is absolutely correct - the majority in N.Ireland voted to remain within the EU, but their wishes are superseded by the vote in England.

Irish GDP per c is second only to one country in the world - Switzerland:

Not sure what FDI means.

The reference to ‘Maggie’ is likely to Margaret Thatcher, former UK PM and leader of UK Tory party, was ousted by her own party - over the EU.

The UK region that extracts the most from the UK Treasury, i.e that puts the least in but takes the most out is…the same region that Falstaff vaguely refers, not Ireland but Northern Ireland :slight_smile:

[quote=“Falstaff, post:197, topic:84071”]
WHat do YOU think to the proposal that we should cut the whole of Ireland adrift and put a border down the “Irish sea” ? [/quote]

Interesting - I have said for many years that he best solution to the “Irish problem” would be to cut the the rope and let them drift out into the Altantic :smiley::smiley:

So if you agree what the hell is YOUR “iron Lady” doing trying to keep DUP onside ?

1 Like

This is a huge problem for most my colleagues in UK, they figure that DUP means Ireland.

Truth is that Ireland doesn’t want a rope, it’s a noose, not a life line, our outlook is worldwide, has been, thus the GDP.

I admire May because finally she has stood up to bullying, it takes a while but bullies need to be stood up to. She made a huge mistake by trying to pay the bully off with £1bn, thankfully the PM didn’t pay them up front, she kept half.

What next? - the bully will huff and puff, that’s what they do, hopefully the new Iron Lady will stick to her guns.

Cut us adrift?

Sometime come over to our little island, we have a saying: “cead mile failte”.

1 Like

Ok, apologies for the side track, I wanted to focus on GBP price and in particular that double top that I felt was of importance back 2 weeks ago.

Back 3 weeks (Oct 27) I suggested maybe ease up on Gbp sells, it so happened that Oct 30 was a turning point (have mentioned EOM before)

So what about the DT? - well that formed at the end of the following week - the market seemed to be poised for more selling and so guys sold.

Never take a position on a Friday signal, it’s often a spoof.

Of course the market (the algos both fa and ta) took note of the DT (my reference “will be watched”), it became the formation of a well known pattern, the infamous head and shoulders.

Check the yellow line on the chart below the Iron Lady - TA and FA working in perfect harmony.

One other little point of learning - can you predict these moves?

Answer is no, but it’s possible to learn how to imagine them.

Always an example - look again at the Iron Lady chart and notice the grey line - where price is right now.

Is it possible to see that the market is waiting, almost undecided, the news algos are in blinking mode, likely Tue/Wed for the next move, I suspect reasonably positive Gbp, they have their eyes focused on a certain lady made of Iron :slight_smile:

Edit: Blinking mode - Msdos on a computer has a cursor, looks like an underscore, sits blinking waiting on input.

It’s the weekend, so we all wind down.

This is one for @Falstaff - remember back when “this is your life” - my absolute favourite of all time, I watched the live programme when he passed.

One of life’s great, happened that my pc chose this clip tonight:

I’ve been asked a few times, mostly by US guys, what is this ‘backstop’ thing?

My answer generally 'it’s a long story - so maybe the line himself has some answers :).

1 Like

Going to give little updates on the Brexit scenario, the focus will be on the trading aspect and not the politics.

On this thread Brexit Parliament vote I had suggested that last Friday was the day to take up a sell position on GBP.

I will explain the reasoning, how it is possible to anticipate news effect on price one week ahead.
Learners will often read that the fundamentals or ‘news’ is always already priced, if that were so then I couldn’t have reasoned that there would be a sizeable move early this week.

First the scene:

Early in the Brexit process the UK govt wanted to have control over all decisions, this was rejected by a majority of lawmakers and it was agreed that Parliament would have what was termed a “meaningful vote” on any proposed Brexit agreement.

The UK govt reached an agreement with the EU27, when announced it caused some GBP buying, although the market was aware of the meaningful vote yet to come.

Market sense was that the EU would ratify the agreement, which it did, but as time went on it was clear that parliament would not, the numbers simply did not stack.

The vote was set for today and the market was poised for the inevitable outcome.

The only unknown variable last week was NFP and it’s effect on the USD side of cable, when that would become clear then GBP would be the focus.

The UK govt pulled the pin on the vote yesterday so the price fall that was anticipated for today happened 24 hours early.

There was a heightened risk of this happening therefore my thinking on taking a position on Friday and holding over the weekend rather than waiting until Monday.

That’s really it, all rather mundane.

What’s going to happen right now?

Not really a lot in the immediate future - the risk of a change of PM, or rather an election to attempt a PM change has increased.
Such a scenario would be a GBP sell, then the voting process would cause some volatility, but that’s for another day.

I’ll update further Thursday.

That was 2hrs ago - one hour ago and ITV journalist, Robt Peston reporting that leak from Tory party says 48 letters received regarding PM no confidence vote.

Chances are this being true are quite high - watch out tomorrow morning.

Yea ! - :smile: - David Davis for preference - Boris - as second choice (assuming Nigel Farage is a non-starter :roll_eyes: )

Vote will happen between 6pm and 8pm today, Wednesday GMT - the market focus will be whether the PM survives, rules are that she has to win by at least one vote, reality is that the margin needs to be higher.

Steve Eisman is short 3 UK banks based on the premise of a no deal and/or a Labour Govt - there is a reasonable chance that he will have added to his positions.

Results will be announced later this evening, difficult to tell direction right now so many pound traders will just wait.

Oh - how come I posted about the possibility of leadership ahead of the leak?

Inside information - i.e. information inside my head, I remembered the last confidence vote on a sitting PM - the issue was the EU, the PM was female and the party waited until she was out of the country.

Just a case of history repeating, that’s all.

Quick update:

I would be careful about selling GBP ahead of the vote - there seems to be gathering momentum from MP’s siding with the PM.

Price was at 2545 then, now at 2610 - more likely to consolidate around this level.

Still looks like a win for PM - the numbers will give some clarity on the task of the ‘meaningful vote’ question, also possible that this will stall the selling of late on GBP.