60 years later, the beginning of the new EU

Some would say that with the massive size of the “Public service sector” and their gold plated pension schemes, the uk is rapidly approaching the same state of affairs as back then Difficulat to solve this time - though the solution is obvious to anyone not a part of the problem ! . but ; When the parasite gets to be bigger than the host, the host must die ! That does the parasite no good either ! :slight_smile:

Surely just a typo, for “populism” (defined here)?

Lol - not at all: if you were trying to, you failed entirely, while still providing your customary unintended amusement, for which I imagine we’re all grateful. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

ahh cute. i clearly did. i feel the anger and hate from the first post :slight_smile: if people like you are the average UK citizen then its no wonder your entire industry is ruined by now and all thats left is tourism and financials (and selling tooth paste :joy:) and no wonder you are about to ruine eben those last segments that produce some sort of a surplus income. your little knowledge isnt amusing its rather horrifing :slight_smile:

@Falstaff : financial times reporters are unbiased. thats the big difference between FT and guardian and the sun crap. that was not written by a bremainer it was written by someone who did homework unbiased.

margerete did sure good for your country. and still you guys hated her like she was cancer. only shows how little the average level of information and knowledge is in your society.

anyways thanks for the attempt to have a conversation on a somewhat higher level with arguments points and thoughts.

something the lemmings @LaughingCharlie and @double_6 were not able to accomplish.

remember what portugal once used to be and what it is now. study portugals history and you will see UK’s future, well… without the beatiful beaches and palms. for that sake study your own history a bit aswell so next time you can actuall say something intelligent and not prove your lack of inteligence/knowledge by opening your mouth.

1 Like

Thanks LC - 'tis an Americanism, from the Latin “populus” (People).
There was me thinking it ,derived from “popular” - You learn something every day ! :slight_smile:

The historical facts were ignored and it was couched in terms which gave credit to the membership of the “Common market” for the fact that the UK climbed out of the mire. That was inaccurate and biased. Whether that was deliberate or just plain sloppy reporting, It was biased.

yes. or in other words “feeding the stupid crowd what theyd like to hear”.

about ft. you think you can put 50 years of history in a 2 page report? maggie was mentiomed in the article aswell. are you sure you read it or you only took a glance at the pretry coloured graphs? you should also know how to read graphs. yes performance connected to the 3 other big 3 in EU did not increase the last 10 years but thats because the entire performance of all 4 increased in the same speed, in a nice speed all the big 4 had a boom from 2001-2008 and suffered in the finanxial crisis of 2009.
you pick whats to report about and report all facts which are signifanctly connected to it thats called unbiased reporting. if you read carefully you will see that the reporter did not (unlike in guardian or sun or the worst of all- online crap) at any point put his own opinion in the article :wink:

yes i know joe from harbor street in 1991 had something to do with it aswell he is accountable for the second UK boom in the 90ies -sarcasm.

if you want to dig further buy the connected books and stop listening to hearsay of people who know even less or god forbid even worse -online crap :joy:

Don’t need to - I was there ! Studying Urban Economics at the time.

Your rudeness is rather wearing at times - you must be a real wimp in real life ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s almost the same thing, really.

The two words come from the same Latin origin.

In its colloqial, everyday use in a political context, “populist” means “designed to appeal to the masses/people”, really, and is often used in a pejorative, derogatory, snobbish, dismissive sense by those who imagine that their own attitudes are “above all that”.

Meanwhile WestBam can fool himself into believing that he’s “thinking” or “analyzing”, while actually just rearranging his own prejudices and misinformation, if he wants to. And it looks like he does want to. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

ah nice… youre one of the “i know it all” :joy:

what is rude about the truth? or you just a bit oversensitive? :slight_smile: wimp or not it was enough for your mom last time you failed abortion :wink:

Oddly the 27,000 people who wrote books upon the subject like this disagree with your random rants !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Economics-Arthur-OSullivan/dp/0073511471/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510428060&sr=8-1&keywords=urban+economics

And fair ye well turbo.

Incoming week I reach d’un certain age, it’s a long time, and likewise 24hrs is a long time in politics.

There has been further ‘discussions’ (i.e. frank argument) and some movement between the 27 and UK - and it is positive for both sides, so signing off on that note, I’m happy to report…

I have an emphasis in life , my friends and family know me as PMA - Positive Mental Attitude.

It has stood me well in the many tests that I have encountered in the past.

It’s a good thing that the UK finally leave EU, it will bring closure, hence the title of this thread.

Likewise the thread title represents the aspirations of the generation behind me, it’s their future.

For the UK I sincerely hope their young people do not lose, they will possibly have to choose between Corbyn or Johnson as their next PM - sometimes people can rise to the challenge.

Btw, LC, Osborne was sacked because he was aligned to outgoing PM.

Also, PIIGS is in the past, a visit to any of those 5 would clarify. Don’t believe everything in print.

Sadly, when the UK first tried to join EEC I remember the headline ‘Non’ - shame on De Gaulle, 1967 for the second time, Harold Wilson was PMA, he waited for De Gaulle to exit and applied for third time.

D6, proper money in this industry is made in the UK by your employers. Always good to engage in debate minus an attitude, it’s like bias in trading, it can blind even the smartest.

1 Like

Wasn’t that because He had had to go cap in hand to the IMF for loans to cope with the Balance of Payments crisis (I seem to remember they actually refused him once, but relented just before "deadline time, but with strict caveats) and around the time he devalued the pound ? - de Gaulle wasn’t in the mood for “scroungers” to be joining the “Common Market”, but Merkel seems happy about having them in the “European Union”.

Wasn’t that too when people spoke of his meetings to take istruction from the Union bosses as “Smoke filled rooms” and “Beer and sandwiches” ?

I think the Johnson v Corbyn debate is interesting ;

Boris Johnson

The Old Etonian was a well-known figure of fun at Oxford, becoming president of the Union. Johnson, a student at Balliol College, would have liked to have been president of Buller, but Ford pipped him. Always tipped for stardom (contemporaries still think it will end in tears), he became editor of The Spectator, MP for Henley, and is one of Westminster’s most notorious swordsmen.

Comes from here ; (George Osborne was also a member)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/camerons-cronies-the-bullingdon-clubs-class-of-87-436192.html

AS well as President of Oxford Students Union Boris did well enough as Lord Mayor of London I beleive !

[Edit, Corbyn on the other hand, I know little about, except he appears to be a man of intense conviction and high integrity. I don’t agree with much he says, but people do accept him as refusing to give in to the “hierarchy” of professional “politicians”. Neither of them, it appears are very much in favour of “The PC brigade”. - However don’t forget David Davis - the one who resigned to fight the Hull by-election on the basis of “secrets kept from the public” - He is now in a driving position on the “Leave negotiations” - ANother man of integrity and a good sense of “Fair play” - I’d take him as PM way in front of any other candidate. ]

[quote=“peterma, post:117, topic:84071”]D6, proper money in this industry is made in the UK by your employers.
[/quote]
Courtesy of our experience, skill & expertise of course. Coz without that combo they’d make nowt.
And 2 of the boyo’s on that thread actually are/were the employers.
You never quite know whose poking around these joints do you :slight_smile:

Absolutely. Something your balkan buddy might care to be reminded of.

funny. people throw additute at me and i give back in same mannor and then they blame the balkan dude for it. seems to be a common thing in your collective social mind to blame foreigners constantly for something you started - island monkey, like the french would say :slight_smile:

and i dont even know what trade “challenge” you are talking about. u must be mistaking me with someone. theres a good reason why i didnt even reply to your post. lost cases dont deserve my attention.

anyways, offtopic mode is over. sticking to topic.

yes i quite agree with you. it is a good thing the UK is leaving the EU. for both sides. always in those 50 years there was a lot of tension between those 2. a lot of ideas that could not be realized due to blockades from the UK and a lot of unwanted change in the UK which was pushed by the EU. i thou beliebe strongly that the EU improved the UK in many ways. the youth of the UK agrees with me by voting close to 70% to not leave the EU.

the thing that annoys me so much is the additude of “changing the history to fit our actual mood” and lies spread which are simply not true but sought up by the masses (also people in this thread) like its honey and milk. there are bad and good aspects but changing the good in higntsight into bad ones is nothing but creating illusions for yourself and i see that an entire country is run by a lot of illusions lately. i hope it stays a “one time phenomenon” and doesnt dictate the decition process in the coming generations.

yes you are in an age where things look different and the decition made last year will not affect you as much as it will affect your children. but aswell remember the bad and the good in the past. nra. 11% jobless rate. the breakfall of the gbp and the “close to” foreclosure of the BoE.

coming from a state which has shown the extremes seperatism and racism i can never agree to any sorts of seperatism. history proves that seperatism has never benefited anyone. uk itself doesnt support seperatism when it comes to their regions but embraces the “differences” when it come to outside of UK borders. unlogic, but not my coup of tea to drink and not a part of this thread.

the next years in the EU will see the following developments:

eu finance minister
the last countries will adopt the euro
a eu army will slowly be implemented (something which is planned since 2 decades but UK always countered it strongly).

among others i guess.

to the people here thinking UK citizen have some sort of magic skills and abilities over french german or italian employees. the simple and true fact is that many of the gained workplaces in the last 30 years were due to just a couple of facts:

1st. english talking language (attracts banks and tech companies)
2nd. partially tax heaven for foreign companies when they create work places (nissan tax reduction to produce cars in UK)
3rd. easy acces to a market of 500 milion people

those 3 in combination were very effective reasons to invest in UK. but number 3 falls off soon and then reason 1 and 2 play no role anylonger.

hard truth. UK politians can sweet talk it as much as they want but it wont change the truth. and we are already seeing the financial exodus by the fall of the GBP and the stop of new investments and especially by the banks leaving for dublin paris and frankfurt. the banks move quick because they can move quick their workforce. producing companies can not move that fast but in the next 5, 10, 15 or 20 years, step by step, they will follow aswell.

just my point of view. unlike everyone thinks: im not observing this in any way emotionally anymore. just economically and politically.

edit: i know this i meant as a funny joke but in every joke theres always lots of truth in it :slight_smile:

'Yes, Minister' unveils secrets of British foreign policy on Europe; United Nations and diplomacy on Vimeo

1 Like

Promised I wouldn’t leave on a negative.

D6 is correct re the expertise, if there are learners reading then learn from the reply - you are a punter, they are the bookmaker - how many poor bookmakers do you know?

Many years ago I ventured into a new market, luckily an old guy warned me about the wolves, turned out he was one of them, but nonetheless to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Turbo, I have some experience of division, you are correct re English, we are getting a few of the Yanks to Dublin for that very reason - not gloating, it’s just the way it’s playing out.

Falstaff, history is important in the market, figure why Weidmann dislikes QE, and if it happens either he or a protégé becomes ECB chairman then buy the Euro - for history’s sake.

Was De Gaulle correct? - likely yes, why I said shame was maybe he had forgotten back some 25 years - but that’s history.

Good night guys and God Bless Y’all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/27/newsid_4187000/4187714.stm

1 Like

I guess he’s a classical economist - same as the 1929 boyz :slight_smile:

A keynesian might / WOULD believe that pumping money into the economy was the “de-rigeur” method of dealing with a deflationary depression or the imminent threat of it :thumbsdown:

" ECB President Mario Draghi has said that by September next year, more than 1 trillion euros will have been created --------"

[Edit ; Bundesbank's Weidmann casts doubt on effectiveness of ECB's QE | Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/ecb-policy-weidmann/bundesbanks-weidmann-casts-doubt-on-effectiveness-of-ecbs-qe-idUSL6N0V30AQ20150125 ]

“Created” ? How do you “create” Euros > > > > ?

[Edit - If HE replaces Drago ? GTF out of Euros, if that’ [ Edit - “live within your means” junk ] is what he is advocating ! ]

[Edit 2 - IF you’re referring to the Hyperinflation which Germany suffered pre- Hitler, - ffs that came from “reparations” and "printing money " - Note Draghi’s comment above - then read the book !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grip-Death-Slavery-Destructive-Economics/dp/1897766408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510791200&sr=8-1&keywords=grip+of+death

its “Super Mario” not “Drago” :unamused:

so if less euros are printed in your theory the euro will fall so everyone should get out of it?

what is that? mutated inverse supply/demand figures? did you really study “urban” economy? you should know the easiest of all economic theories, less supply same demand=price goes up…

no Weidmann is not connecting his theories to the hyper inflation in pre hitler germany. he is a follower of Ludwig Erhard, who was a strong figure in after ww2 german economy which was build on the old “Vienna School” economy theories and worked extraordinary well from ww2 till 1990 when germany changed its economic practices and went into a low economy growth time from 1998 till 2008.

so if weidmann becoms ECB chair men (highly unlikely in my views since at the momemt germans are seen as too dominant in european policy/politics making, so a german having control over the ECB is something many other member countries wont like to see) then BUY the euro, or in other words GTF in and not GTF out.

1 Like

Did you ever study the "Great Crash " ?

really? thats your reply? :joy:
what about the great crash? :joy: