90% of every industry fails

90% of all startups go belly up within the first year of activity, according to Forbes. They either lack the capital to sustain in the long term, a quality product to sell or an awareness of the market they are entering.

91% of all music artists go by unnoticed according to Digitalmusicnews. Only 0.9% is considered to be mainstream, while a mere 6.8% is just getting by.

Only 38% of 800,000 college students starting in the 2008-2009 academic year will graduate within six years. 33% of 2.75 million students dropped out of college in the year 2000. 40% of 4.5 million college students will leave higher education without getting a degree. 53% of 1.75 million students at public institutions starting classes for 2008-2009 academic years have dropped out.

Any industry where money is either made or required to continue, shows similar statistics. Point me to one where more than 50% of people succeed in the long run and I’ll drop any hope I have of becoming a trader and will embark in that industry instead.

I believe we should stop talking about the fact that only a minority of people succeed at trading.

8 Likes

This is a fantastic post.

1 Like

Absolutely. Focus should be on what the winners do, not what the losers do.

1 Like

Thank you for your nice post with real detail. Great

Oh I’m relieved on hearing this. I’m in my most early stage of forex and all I mostly see is 95% lose in the industry. It doesn’t get me scared but it makes me more sceptical along the way. But this, the post, makes really sense to that effect.

In actual sense more people are on the losing side that on the wining in most industry and category worldwide.

Thanks for the post

1 Like

Hey, a week a go, i was walking under the amazing spanish spring sun :sunglasses: thinking the same comparison with other aspects of life with this 90%meme, because i’m feeling i’m getting into this and i dont feel i’m doing nothing superspecial,

Just working with maths and waves, like i’ve been doing since i’m 13 on my hobbbies and study on Electronics and Sound, and the will to slowly grind millions of points of whatever game i played last years, i think there are nice sinergys with trading there.

but all non investors people i know are bombimg me with thousands of fears, and cliches.

i’m in that moment that i have to go for a trusted broker and start to grow big, with all the tools i’ve learned and i dont have any investor/trader around me to express my feelings around my work.

so thank you for the fresh air. just in time.
non investors or gamblers usually uses this memes to preasure us sometimes, and i only want to have a job but not a boss :smiley:

Yes, that is exactly what I said a few days back and @Eddieb even set up a thread for it:

https://forums.babypips.com/t/how-do-the-5-of-traders-make-money/149861

…but kind of dried up before it even really got started - what does that tell us???

2 Likes

Those who are “winners” aren’t sharing ?

OR - Perhaps, there are no “winners here” ? - only the 95% :slight_smile:

Much the same as the “book discussion” thread - just nobody prepared to do any real work whatsoever, enter any discussion or think for themselves. - just want spoonfeedin’ !

1 Like

Or perhaps there are those who don’t fit into a box of being a winner or loser, perhaps just a do’er.

If a person places themselves into a category then they will expect themselves to act accordingly.

A loser will be a loser, it’s always easier to fail and give in.

Then there is the thinking of -

“Lies, damned lies, and statistics” is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments.

(Quote from Wikipedia.)

Churchill was aware of argument, should he succumb to the power of statistics and numbers, his answer:

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself

1 Like

Sad statistics indeed but perhaps it will be better to observe the winners and learn from the mistakes of the losers. Maybe winner and loser aren’t the right terms because I’m sure that each and every one of us have been on both sides. Either way, it’s not easy to reach the top and stay there for a long time. Instead, in my opinion the goal should be to always know how to rise after you fall without serious injuries.

I must admit, without wishing to appear boastful, I might be close to parting from the couple of forums I use. I enjoy them and have found them supportive and practically helpful. But having eventually developed a profitable strategy and posted it and posted the modifications to it and responded to various queries and suggestions concerning it, what’s next?

Yes mate. You are one of the few “profitable ones” - who actually comes over as believable and I was expecting you to “Pop-up” on that thread of @eddieb 's in due course :sunglasses:

I understand your frustration to some extent, @tommor but this game is quite a lonely place sometimes and I suspect a good few of us here are here for the “Social side” to some extent. It is nice to be able to speak to others who actually have the slightest idea what we’re talking about ! - Even if there is a lot of rubbish and scammers we have to wade through, just to be able to feel “included” !

As to a “way forward” - If you were to set up a “You tube channel” or a website and provide signals and "Get in " / “Get out” instructions to subscribing members, I for one would be prepared to vouch for your integrity !

atb

F

1 Like